How to get used to working with mice in a lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayatbh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I recently started volunteering in a pharmacy, neuroscience focused, lab. We work with mice and I'm having a hard time getting comfortable with some of the things we have to do with them. Today, I was asked to euthanize one by first doing cervical dislocation and I was too scared - so embarrassing! I've been here for about a week and I guess I just wanted to know if any of you that have worked with mice got used to it quickly or have and tips.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

See one, do one, teach one. If you feel like you can't euthanize an animal, which I appreciate, then you should request a different role in the project. The PI would understand. If you feel like eventually you can do this, just do it and acknowledge that it sucks and is uncomfortable, and that the good coming of the research can help save lives. Once you do it a few times you become numb to the idea of it.

Reactions: 1 user
See one, do one, teach one. If you feel like you can't euthanize an animal, which I appreciate, then you should request a different role in the project. The PI would understand. If you feel like eventually you can do this, just do it and acknowledge that it sucks and is uncomfortable, and that the good coming of the research can help save lives. Once you do it a few times you become numb to the idea of it.
Thank you for the reply! Hopefully I'll be able to gather up the courage to do it.