How to get Medical license in ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kungfupanda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a Indian medical student doing my final year in China.
I am planning to move to Ireland after studies as my boyfriend is from Ireland.
I was looking for informations in MCI website and obtained a general idea about the procedures. I presume I need to pass TRAS as I am a non-EU.

My concerns are,

1. How tough is this TRAS exam?
  2. My course is a 5 year program with clinicals from 3rd year. There is no continous 1 year internship at the end but we have more than a year clinics only months spreaded across from 4th year. Will that be a issue? (Our university is WHO reconginsed and the medium is in English!)
  3. Also, in case Medical Council is not satisfied with my internship history and asks me to do another year, would it be possible to do it in Ireland?
I will deeply appreciate any helpful replies.
Thanks very much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

hey somebody reply here ............help this fello:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
it’s very difficult for a non-EU citizen, non-EU grad to get into Ireland for internship straight after university, most will do basic training in another country and then apply during the SHO years. if after your university degree you have not done some time working in hospital as a doctor it is highly unlikely for you do be allowed to skip internship year.
Just to let you know many Irish citizens who trained in EU countries (in the general scheme of things they would be looked at before you) have great difficulty getting an internship.
The general rule is that the applicants are looked at in this order
Irish students from university attached to the hospital > EU students from university attached to the hospital > non-EU students from university attached to the hospital > Irish students from other Irish universities> Irish students from other eu countries > eu students from other eu countries > non-eu from other eu countries > non-eu from everywhere else
they very rarely get past the non-eu attached to the university as the number of intern spots are pretty similar to number of medical students that graduate every year.
I got this from taking to one of the guys who does the hiring for a major hospital in dublin, he says its pretty much the same everywhere else barring other circumstances e.g. parent / family friend working in hospital (high up, i.e ,manger, Registrar, consultant etc.)

if I were you I do some post-graduate training somewhere else before applying, a lot of Irish doctors leaving during the sho years and this is where most non-eu grads start

HI guys
any one have a sample of these exams?
If so,would you plz sent it out.

Hey all :)

I'm in my final year in a medical collage in Syria and I'm planning to move to Ireland to find a residency program and work there ....

we have a completely different system in specializing and residency so i'm confused somehow ... :confused::confused:

what the difficulties I'll face ? ... any exams to pass ,training years or foundation years ....

are there any fees for being included in a residency program ? ... and would we earn a salary while doing that ? ...

Regards,
Eyad :cool: