This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed0176

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a sophomore in college and want to get involved in research. I am not sure where to start looking for opportunities. I heard that students can directly contact professors to inquire about possibilities but I am unsure whether or not that is the best path to take. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will have a pre-med office or club that will offer leads on professors who have previously had undergrads working with them. Otherwise, most people ask PIs if they are willing to take them on. There is no 'best path'. If you want to do something, start asking around.

Reactions: 2 users
I've personally gotten to know some of my science professors and inquired about their research after building a rapport with them. They are usually then very willing to take you on, especially if you've performed well in their class

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do something, then do it. Ask the professors whose research interests you. Nobody here will do that for you. Time to grow up and do things for yourself.

I second what @mimelim said. However, make sure your school/department doesn't have an organized application for student research or anything, too. I applied for a summer research internship/job in my math & sci department. They usually released apps for it during the spring & you could select a faculty member or just go into a lottery system (faculty members that needed interns or had open spots). I interviewed with and for a PI that I had never met, heard of, or taken a class with. The interview was really laid back, though I was nervous :p (He stated there was an upperclassmen he was also considering for the same position, but that he liked my GPA. He also asked me multiple times if I could really be committed for the summer because I was OOS). I started that summer and then applied to continue the research during the semester. I did that until I graduated, and each time I had to reapply the semester before through my department.

Also, I did paid research but I know quite a few PI's that had unpaid positions that you didn't have to apply for but just ask them about. Those positions usually required a lot more dish washing at first but allowed you to help with other projects on your own time.

Don't email professors. Go to their office instead and ask them directly. A lot harder to say no.

Hello,

I am currently a sophomore in college and want to get involved in research. I am not sure where to start looking for opportunities. I heard that students can directly contact professors to inquire about possibilities but I am unsure whether or not that is the best path to take. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Some colleges have official undergraduate research programs that you can apply into for summer or semesterly research. Other times you can do "research for credit" as part of your degree program when you are a junior/senior in college. You can also email a professor directly and ask to do research. When you reach out to a professor make sure that you have read about his/her research and can express your interest in the work articulately. You should also make sure you have enough time in your schedule to work in the lab, since it can be a pretty time intensive commitment.

Start by offering professors free labor in their labs. Few will turn down free labor and eventually you can work your way up.

Don't email professors. Go to their office instead and ask them directly. A lot harder to say no.

This doesn't always work and can sometimes lead to awkward situations...

If you are in a "normal" premed situation (decently large school, lots of labs involved in bio, biomedical, related research, lots of premeds, etc), then email will (and should) be your best friend. Unfortunately in most situations, the nature of the game means that there are lots of other premeds just like you: freshmen or sophomore, probably no prior experience in research, you've taken the usual classes that every other premed has taken, super eager, etc. The key to getting into research as an undergraduate (based on my experience which is same/similar to the vast majority of my friends and acquaintances who are also in research) is to write a LOT of detailed, personalized emails to professors at the right time. From my own PI and conversations with other PIs, certain things generally hold true when PIs look for undergrads to fill out their labs:

1) They typically start looking for new undergraduates during large academic breaks or just before a semester starts. So think end of winter-break or end of summer break. You are slightly late with this but that is ok as generally the "interview process" goes into the first couple weeks of the semester.

2) Most known bio, biomedical labs get a BUNCH of emails from undergrads about research. You know how PIs distinguish the ones to interview? They look for thoughtful, personalized, and interested emails about their lab's specific research. No you don't have to have prior research. This means checking out the lab's website, reading some recent papers published by the lab, reading descriptions of what the grad students or post-docs in the lab are working on (in all likelihood, you will working under one of these), and being able to specifically mention things that sound interesting to you or stuff you have come across in coursework, etc.

That being said, this all means that you are going to have to spend some serious time figuring out what your interests are academically. By this I don't mean you have to have your senior thesis plan all worked out or what research you want to pursue as a career all worked out. At the undergraduate level, any kind of hypothesis-driven research done in any lab is equally helpful because its all about learning the scientific process, how patient research is, etc. Go to various department websites, read professor's blurbs about their research interests, pick a bunch and then dive into their specific websites and start constructing those emails and sending them out! I sent out >25 emails, interviewed with 3 labs before deciding on joining a lab (that turned out to be one of my best decisions as an undergrad!) Don't be alarmed if you don't get replies from all of them. Unfortunately many PIs will see emails and ignore them if you aren't a fit or if they don't take any new undergrads, etc. You are simply trying to get a few to reply with an interview or a "discussion."

And I agree with the rest that if your school has a specific program or process where you can get "matched" into a lab, then go through that as it is definitely more established. All this stuff is just general information for a general situation of a first or second year with no experience trying to get into research for the first time.