how to get experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modizzle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping to get a job that involves working with animals and I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas or tell me about jobs they have gotten? Is it possible to get jobs in veterinary clinics without being a Certified Veterinary Technician?

Thanks very much

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I was hoping to get a job that involves working with animals and I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas or tell me about jobs they have gotten? Is it possible to get jobs in veterinary clinics without being a Certified Veterinary Technician?

Thanks very much

Definitely! Call up vets around you and ask around - tell them you're interested in pursuing a career in veterinary medicine and ask if you can send your resume over. If you're willing to volunteer that might be a better way to start out. Otherwise, they could train you for reception work, or to do technician's stuff. Technicians only have to be licensed in certain states.

You can also check out craigslist to see if anyone is looking for help in your area.

Hope this helps!

I'm a junior in High School, and I got a job as an animal caretaker. I'm working as a technician in appointments for a little while because we are short technicians. You never know. I would definitely call and find out! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
many vets like to hire inexperienced people. it gives them a chance to get jobs done for little pay (sorry but you gotta start somewhere). plus, you get an awesome opportunity to listen and learn to what is going on around you. i would take my resume in to different offices and schedule an appointment if possible to talk to the drs. try to find a vet who seems like he/she would be willing to teach you. i had a wonderful vet who would sit with me after work and go through cases and surgeries just because I wanted to learn. good luck!

Even if you can't get a hands-on position, I don't think a Vet would ever turn you down wanting to shadow. I couldn't get a position anywhere around my area, but I saw some awesome things going in on surgery days to shadow my personal vet. And he allowed me to keep track of almost everything with photos too! It's just too awesome to show your family what goes on in there - "YOU want to do THAT?!?" Darn tootin'!

Shelters are always looking for volunteers too. If you are lucky, you'll get paid for it. Glorified pooperscooper, but it's experience :D

I've been looking for clinic experience, so when I was at the vet a couple days ago I asked a similar question. The vet said the best idea is to send letters to all the clinics in the area asking to volunteer or shadow.

Even if you can't get a hands-on position, I don't think a Vet would ever turn you down wanting to shadow. I couldn't get a position anywhere around my area, but I saw some awesome things going in on surgery days to shadow my personal vet. And he allowed me to keep track of almost everything with photos too! It's just too awesome to show your family what goes on in there - "YOU want to do THAT?!?" Darn tootin'!

Shelters are always looking for volunteers too. If you are lucky, you'll get paid for it. Glorified pooperscooper, but it's experience :D

All of the clinics in my area have turned me down for shadowing...either because of "insurance reasons" or because they don't do that sort of thing... :(