MD & DO How to find Ortho Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

london.smog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm an M2 trying to find an opportunity to get in on an ortho research project in case I want to apply to ortho (not 100% set on it) or other competitive surgical programs. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a program to hop in on, but have had no luck yet.

I've been taking other research opportunities in the meantime. I currently have:
1 EM project (1 poster presentation done, 1 abstract published, working on manuscript)
2 Public health projects (2 poster presentations done, 1 oral presentation done, working on manuscripts)
2 Medical education projects (1 poster presentation done, still submitting abstracts, haven't started manuscripts yet)

It's not bad, but there is no ortho work or surgical research at all, and I don't want that to count against me in the future. My school's ortho chair never replies to emails and is never in his office. I've reached out to 4th years applying to ortho in case they choose to transition out of their projects, but nothing has come up yet. I've cold-emailed 2 ortho and 3 gen surg attendings at local academic programs asking about research, only got 2 replies saying nothing was available.

I know getting ortho research is competitive, but I'm kind of at a loss on what to do next. Do any of you have advice on how to find ortho research opportunities, or non-traditional ways people have found their projects?

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what kind of institutional support you have, but other departments might have opportunities to investigate such things as osteoporosis and other metabolic bone diseases, neuromuscular disorders, rheumatologic disorders, prevention of injuries in work or sports environment, etc. Think outside the box.