How to find a (good) MCAT tutor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am probably going to retake the MCAT in April, and since my only real weak spot was in PS I am thinking an efficient use of my time and money to prepare would be to get a tutor for this area. I don't have a lot of experience with tutoring--I have gone to my school's tutoring center a few times, but I have never hired a private tutor on my own before, and I'm not exactly sure what to look for or how to find a good one. I'm sure many of you have more experience on both sides of this (tutorer and tutoree, so to speak), and can offer some guidance. So far, I was thinking of just putting up a notice in the library at the med school since they've all taken the MCAT (I want someone with experience with the test, obviously) saying what I'm looking for, and see who responds. Also, how much should I expect to pay, and what kind of info should I ask for so I know I'm getting someone who knows what they're doing? What should I expect from a tutor? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools have a class you can sign-up for to go over MCAT material, also, if you know what section you need the most help with you could apply at your campus tutoring program for that subject-your idea sounds right on too. Best of luck!

Thanks Ms.J, but my I checked and my school doesn't offer any kind of MCAT review class, and I want to hire a private tutor because it is hard to get enough individual attention in the tutoring center. I want to find someone to work with me one-on-one on a weekly basis for 2-3 months so I can really focus on bringing up my PS score. Good suggestions, though.:)