How to fill out the UCAS App

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mike MacKinnon

Ok

So is it just be or is the UCAS a very confusing app? I dont see how they get my marks or transcripts? ANyone know?

It dosent look like you can put in your GPA or classes only the degree. Are we supposed to send the transcripts direct? or to UCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Mike,
you would need to use the paper app and just put in gpa and univs attended wherever you can find the space, then send a transcript to each school.

cheers, Saph

Mike MacKinnon said:
Ok

So is it just be or is the UCAS a very confusing app? I dont see how they get my marks or transcripts? ANyone know?

It dosent look like you can put in your GPA or classes only the degree. Are we supposed to send the transcripts direct? or to UCAS?

Hi Mike,

Yes, the UCAS application is a bit more complex than what they look for in Ireland, but it's not too bad (saying this as a guy who's done it for himself and other people quite a few times).

British universities are, in general, very trusting and operate on an honours system. If you put your scores down on the UCAS form (page 2), they'll believe that's what you've got. They'll then be in touch with you later on if they think you're a potential candidate and ask you to forward your transcripts. This is the usual rule ot thumb but there are exceptions - Oxbridge look for transcripts immediately for example, so once again, check with each individual university.

As a matter of curiosity, have you decided to go ahead with the schools you e-mailed me with, or were there any last minute changes?

Any further advice you need on the form (personal statement etc.), let me know. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
dr strangelove said:
As a matter of curiosity, have you decided to go ahead with the schools you e-mailed me with, or were there any last minute changes?

Any further advice you need on the form (personal statement etc.), let me know. :cool:

Ohh, what schools are you going with and why? Do you mind sharing? I find it very daunting to narrow a list of schools down in a country I've never been in (especially since so much of my personal happiness is based on landscape and culture).

saphenous said:
Mike,
you would need to use the paper app and just put in gpa and univs attended wherever you can find the space, then send a transcript to each school.

cheers, Saph
Hey

Well we can do it online, there is a site made for North american Internationals www.ucas.com. I have the app all done but for the weird education part. There is no place to put in my information nor is there a place for GPA or individual listing of classes. I think the expectation is if you applying then you have the pre reqs and they will ask for it if your of interest to them.

dr strangelove said:
Hi Mike,

Yes, the UCAS application is a bit more complex than what they look for in Ireland, but it's not too bad (saying this as a guy who's done it for himself and other people quite a few times).

British universities are, in general, very trusting and operate on an honours system. If you put your scores down on the UCAS form (page 2), they'll believe that's what you've got. They'll then be in touch with you later on if they think you're a potential candidate and ask you to forward your transcripts. This is the usual rule ot thumb but there are exceptions - Oxbridge look for transcripts immediately for example, so once again, check with each individual university.

Hey Dr S

you all have been a great resource and helped me narrow down my list to 4 (which was hell as eastofnorth mentioned! I narrowed mine down to a list which favored my background as a medical profession with a research background.

Here is my list:
University of Dundee (D65)

King's College London (University of London) (K60)

University of Leicester (L34)

St George's Hospital Medical School (University of London) (S49)

All of these are 5 year programs except Leicester which is a 4 year with a specific entry point for Previous RN's (beneficial to me). I am also considering applying to University of East Anglia inb Norwich as it is also apparently very nurse friendly.

Anyone have a suggestion which of the 4 schools i might consider replacing with UEA?

My advice personally from going thru the application process is to send the transcripts along even if some feel there is an honors system in britain. wait for your ucas number then send the transcripts.
good luck
Cheers, Saph

Don't know about UCAS schools but I generally tended to include extras in my applications (like a CV, photocopies of first pages of publications, etc) since a thicker file never hurts. If they don't exclude it specifically (some schools won't accept LORs, for instance), then why not send it? As for the grade calculations, they must be doing that on their own when they get your transcripts.

Mike MacKinnon said:
Hey Dr S

you all have been a great resource and helped me narrow down my list to 4 (which was hell as eastofnorth mentioned! I narrowed mine down to a list which favored my background as a medical profession with a research background.

Here is my list:
University of Dundee (D65)

King's College London (University of London) (K60)

University of Leicester (L34)

St George's Hospital Medical School (University of London) (S49)

All of these are 5 year programs except Leicester which is a 4 year with a specific entry point for Previous RN's (beneficial to me). I am also considering applying to University of East Anglia inb Norwich as it is also apparently very nurse friendly.

Anyone have a suggestion which of the 4 schools i might consider replacing with UEA?

I'd stick with what you've got. UEA medical school has only been open for 4 years, so they're not too sure what the quality is like yet, although it should be fine. I know it sounds snobbish, but I'd stick with the schools that have been around for a while.

You dropped Glasgow! I'm gutted man! ;) Ah well, it sounds like you did your research though so you know exactly what you're looking for. :)

Mike MacKinnon said:
Hey

Well we can do it online, there is a site made for North american Internationals www.ucas.com. I have the app all done but for the weird education part. There is no place to put in my information nor is there a place for GPA or individual listing of classes. I think the expectation is if you applying then you have the pre reqs and they will ask for it if your of interest to them.

I've started an application on UCAS and found it very UK-specific. I really had to wade through certain areas to find relevant forms. They ask for AP and SAT subject tests -- that's going way back! What about ACT/GRE/MCATS? Are you going to sit for any of the UK-specific exams?

How did you find out which schools were RN-friendly, Mike? I'm starting to feel like it's not worth the hassle in the long run, if most UK schools don't have organization in place to advise international students (just think-- USMLE and other residency requirements, on top of your UK exams and reqs). Unless someone is especially equipped to deal with paperwork issues. I'm feeling veryvery underequipped right now. :D

Uk schools will not cater to american students period. That is what makes us special in the residency app process compared to places like the carribbean.
worth the app though!
good luck
cheers, Saph

dr strangelove said:
I'd stick with what you've got. UEA medical school has only been open for 4 years, so they're not too sure what the quality is like yet, although it should be fine. I know it sounds snobbish, but I'd stick with the schools that have been around for a while.

You dropped Glasgow! I'm gutted man! ;) Ah well, it sounds like you did your research though so you know exactly what you're looking for. :)
hey

yah glasgow has a very high number of international apps, which puts me at a disadvantage. UEA, being new has less, which may also be a benefit for me hence the reason im considering it. ANY thoughts?

eastofnorth said:
I've started an application on UCAS and found it very UK-specific. I really had to wade through certain areas to find relevant forms. They ask for AP and SAT subject tests -- that's going way back! What about ACT/GRE/MCATS? Are you going to sit for any of the UK-specific exams?

How did you find out which schools were RN-friendly, Mike? I'm starting to feel like it's not worth the hassle in the long run, if most UK schools don't have organization in place to advise international students (just think-- USMLE and other residency requirements, on top of your UK exams and reqs). Unless someone is especially equipped to deal with paperwork issues. I'm feeling veryvery underequipped right now. :D
hey

Unless they ask me to i have no plans to sit for any UK exams. I found out which were RN friendly by talking to some collegues (Docs & Nurses) I know in the UK.

I agree with you, the lack of process setup for NA grads certainly suggests they are not very interested in us. I am going to fill out my app online then send transcripts at the request of the schools. The plan is to call them and ask what they need from me specifically.

Have a good one!

I agree with strangelove's advice on UEA.

cheers, Saph

dr strangelove said:

You go to Glasgow? Mind chatting about it sometime with me? :)

just drop me a PM.