How to explain research interest (MD only) in written materials/interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oil_rig

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm applying MD only, and wondering how to properly communicate my interest in clinical research in both my secondary essays and if/when I get interviews, without giving off the impression that I'm more interested in research than medicine. I've seen various comments on here in different threads saying that one should be careful that they don't appear they're going into medicine 'for the research.' I'm not sure I understand why...

I have a graduate degree and, with that, several years of being fully planted in the research world. I liked it, but absolutely do not want to make a full time career of it. I have had several clinical volunteering and observational experiences and I am confident (as confident as one can be) that I want to have both feet fully planted in medicine, for the most part. I am not really interested in MD/PhD, although I wouldn't rule out trying to transfer into a dual PhD program during my 2nd year if I got seriously interested in some niche area of medicine and was advised that I would need a PhD to have substantial impact.

With that said, I am aware that many MD-onlys do clinical research, and I WOULD definitely be interested in doing that too. I'm not talking basic bench-top research with yeast, but clinical translational stuff, often in partnership with academic/industry. Is this a bad thing to 'reveal' in secondaries/interviews?

I'm not sure why it would be, given that 'top' schools are usually research powerhouses, and I'm hearing that more and more competitive specialty hopefuls are taking a year off in med school to buff up their research creds. Moreover, several of my (MD only) secondaries literally ask Qs to the effect of 'are you interested in primary care, academic medicine, entrepreneurial medicine, etc.'

So, how do I explain my interest in clinical translational research without giving off the wrong impression that I should be going to more grad school (which I absolutely do not want).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just list some of the Faculty interests that mesh with your own. Hopefully you have already done research on those areas.

Avoid the starry-eyed premed syndrome of saying you want to be a physician-scientist AND a [insert uber-specialty here.]

You mean list these in the secondary if it's a relevant question? Would that really be appropriate if not directly asked?