how to excel in outpatient setting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boolin_1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on my 3rd day of FM rotation and technically I am in an outpatient clinic that's attached to the hospital. sometimes we do round on inpatient when we take call and ****. it's literally so back to back on patient volume, I don't even have time to prepare or even do anything. It's essentially just glorified shadowing at this point. First day of clinic, we saw 36 patients. Hop in one room, quickly do **** and immediately pop into the next room and do something else.

Don't get me wrong though I'm already learning a lot. already saw some cool pathology and it's only day 3. But just wondering how do I excel in a scenario where patient volume and speed is priority #1

For example. saw/managed hemachromatosis. diagnosed Afib. Saw necrotizing fasciitis. Factor V Leiden, two DVT's. Incredibly resistant Cdiff. And lots of wellness visits. Not doggin on the rotation or anything. Just wondering how to really impress and excel.

Members don't see this ad.

When a clinic is that busy your priority is to try to minimize how much you slow somebody down. When patients come two at a time, offer to go see a patient on your own (cherry pick interesting ones) while the resident sees a couple of the easy ones.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, try to get a system where you can see a patient while s/he sees a patient (or 2), then you can give a quick 5 min presentation and s/he can rocket in and do their thing. Better than shadowing. I'm sure they have an idea who on their schedule is going to be interesting at the start of the day.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What others have echoed above. See if you could start seeing your own patients and presenting quick SOAP notes. That way, you help reduce the load, make the interaction more efficient, and get meaningful clinical experience. Right now you should be getting a good history, performing a relevant exam and giving your best shot at an assessment and plan...if you arent, you are missing out on the entire point of the clinical years in medical school.

At least you're seeing stuff. 2 days in and I've merely done 6000 physicals and like 3 acute but extremely minor things (sinusitis, BPPV, etc)