How to deal with being single?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just wanted to state that not everyone committed in medical school is holding on for security purposes. I agree that people rush marriage out of fear, but some people who are in a relationship AND in medical school are truly in love. Trust me, long distance can be torture, and at times is probably lonelier than being single. ::End of personal rant::

I cannot reiterate enough that it will happen when you are least expecting it. Don't force it and enjoy the ride :p

Members don't see this ad.

Except that people who believe this in fact are expecting it to happen when they least expect it. So it's really a catch 22.

Nah, you can't fool Jesus that easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing wrong with being single! Live it up!

(Then again, maybe I'm more carefree about this because I'm a guy - many of my unmarried females friends of a similar age are stressing out.)

hey slide, TN?

MS, but conservative enough I suppose.

Anyway, I just want to clarify that I'm not looking for marriage, but just discussing/ranting that most people in this area are married/engaged/something like that. But after reading the posts here, I've realized that I really shouldn't care about it so much.

And yeah, divorce rates here are astronomical compared to the rest of the country, so this isn't exactly a place I would want to get married anyway :laugh:

Nothing wrong with being single! Live it up!

(Then again, maybe I'm more carefree about this because I'm a guy - many of my unmarried females friends of a similar age are stressing out.)
Men age like fine wine. If they're not careful, women age like milk.

Men age like fine wine. If they're not careful, women age like milk.

I guess I'd better be careful, then, or people might start actually being able to guess my age.

:laugh:

If my temples greyed and I needed to wear glasses, I may finally look my age.

:(
Yeah, my only consolation for looking young now is that I'll probably be like my dad, who looks like he's in his early forties, even though he's 58.

Yeah, my only consolation for looking young now is that I'll probably be like my dad, who looks like he's in his early forties, even though he's 58.

Exactly.

But tough for me to convince a patient I'm about to cut into their body when they're guessing I'm still in college. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly.

But tough for me to convince a patient I'm about to cut into their body when they're guessing I'm still in college. :(

I'm 23 and have still been confused for under 18, although I only get ID'ed at the bars 50:50. Except a few weeks ago I had to pull out my student ID as secondary proof of who I was!

Anyways... For me, as a young female medical student, I would be incredibly lost if it weren't for the fact that I already found my SO long before starting school. Having someone who is there to comfort you when you are about to break down for the 3rd time in one week b/c of tests is fantastic. Plus, you can convince them to go get you food when you are studying so it is like having your own personal assistant (who gives you hugs).

I have to say, I dislike the knocking of the med school girls. I'd say in my class, its about half and half anal prudish vs. normal girls. Most of the girls that I talk to are just as fun and interesting (and about 100x smarter) than most of the girls I knew in undergrad. So, med school girls don't suck. The same concept goes for the med school guys - half of them are extreme nerds that you wouldn't have any real dating interest in while the other half are just like anyone else.

I think that best reason for finding someone in your class to date is proximity (as someone mentioned above). You may both be stressed out and sleep deprived, but you will at least have time for each other (i.e. when you are studying together). So look for the single girls in your class (because they do exist), prowl the other health schools (nursing, PA, public health), and start drinking socially so you can go to the bar. Or at least go to the bar and buy other girls drinks ;).

Or like someone else suggested, wait until all the married ones start cheating and getting divorced. It will be probably another 7 - 10 years, but you will have a life by that point.

Yo I feel your pain. I'm a chick in med school ... called off a relationship prior to med school, and now lacking in the romantic realm. The few people who I'd consider dating are unavailable (in a relationship of some sort). And it sucks cuz I don't have time to really go out and meet new people!!!

Dating someone while in med school would make things more bearable...

The hairs starting to thin on top and I'm 22. God knows how bad it will be when I turn 30.

It seems like pretty much everyone whos single in medical school has a similar experience (my own personal experience vibes very closely with the OP). No time to meet new people, peers all in dedicated relationships, and it'd be really nice to have a real person instead of your books to keep you company.

Honestly, I keep telling myself I'm going to make time to expand my social circle and meet some new people my age, but I think I'm just getting more used to be alone. Ah, medicine.

The real problem is this:

1st-3rd year: no time
4th year: Got time but may be about to move out of town. Long-distance relationship...
Residency (at least 3 years): no time again

By the end of Residency almost all of us are in our 30s.

The tunnel is too simply too long.

Hey, maybe you'll be a really hot bald guy.

You have to be a really, really hot guy with hair to be really hot bald. That is why I love my toupee.

No I'm in a blue state and it's the same deal as described by the OP. It was shocking to me during first year as well, and I think it's sad. Women going into medicine seem to panic and cling to whomever they've had before starting, since they think they'll have waited too long to start a family by the time residency, fellowship, etc. is over.

Why would you want some anal, picky, prudish girl anyway? Find a nice, relaxed, HAPPY girl from a master's program nearby. The girls in my class all have standards which are WAY too high for their own appearances and personalities.

I agree, stay away from girls in your school... people had to go through hell to get to med school and you don't want someone breathing fire on you all the time. Although the best advice I can give you is stay single and just hang out with your friends... girls can ruin your medical career in more than one way. If you are really desperate, enjoy the more "extreme" forms of entertainment, and I am sure you know what I mean.

I agree, stay away from girls in your school... people had to go through hell to get to med school and you don't want someone breathing fire on you all the time. Although the best advice I can give you is stay single and just hang out with your friends... girls can ruin your medical career in more than one way. If you are really desperate, enjoy the more "extreme" forms of entertainment, and I am sure you know what I mean.

Why all the hating on med school girls? :( Most of us are normal! Although I have to agree with the OP that a lot more people than I expected to be in the class are married/engaged/in a serious relationship. One of the first days they had us stand up if we were single and I think less than 1/3rd of the class stood up, and the number has only gone down since then. What's everyone's hurry to get married?!

Why all the hating on med school girls? :( Most of us are normal! Although I have to agree with the OP that a lot more people than I expected to be in the class are married/engaged/in a serious relationship. One of the first days they had us stand up if we were single and I think less than 1/3rd of the class stood up, and the number has only gone down since then. What's everyone's hurry to get married?!

Hey, great question! Preaching to the choir!

I agree, at least 50% of my med school class was already married/engaged/in a long-term relationship at the beginning of our MS-I year. Pretty crazy.

Here in residency, I'd say more like two-thirds of people are married. Around a quarter of the residents here have a kid.

Ok I've really resisted to post this kind of thread on the SDN forums, but after going to a Halloween party last night and seeing that most of the females there were taken, I just couldn't take it anymore.

I foolishly had the conception that if I were in medical school, my chances of meeting a nice girlfriend would be just as good as college, or even better just because of being a medical student. It seems in my class, almost every girl is married/engaged/committed, so I won't be getting any luck from interclass relationships (which may be a blessing in disguise). Every female in this city here around my age also seems to be married/engaged and it really pisses me off. I'm trying to get around to meet other females that are not in medical school, but I've had very little time to actually do so this semester.

Next semester, that won't be a good excuse because our class doesn't have gross and biochem anymore. How have you guys been able to meet other singles outside your class? Or should I just deal with the fact that I'm going to be single for a looooong time?

Just focus on being yourself. Seriously.
Plus anyways, like you said, it's probably a blessing not to be dating your classmates. It is not very conducive to grades if you're madly in love and "studying" with your newfound soulmate every day lol.

The hairs starting to thin on top and I'm 22. God knows how bad it will be when I turn 30.
My hair is going white and I'm 24...at least I'm a guy, but it still doesn't make me feel very good.

And my thumb has been killing me for weeks with what appears to be tendinitis, and the naproxen sodium makes my stomach hurt.

Wow, I meant this reply to be a "it's not so bad" kinda thing but now I think I'm depressed lol.

Professionally I certainly have recommended them as a good idea. (Not really my area of law, but in all areas of law clients will get married). Personally, I can see how that is a hard sell. You can always fall back on the "my [family/lawyer/accountant] insists on me having one" line. That's what most people do. The reality of the situation is that about half of all marriages end in divorce, so prenups are something many people with assets contemplate. It is not very romantic to contemplate a failure of marriage before you start, but it is probably reflective of the reality of the divorce rate in the US.

Bear in mind that in some states, you probably will still lose half of what is accumulated during the marriage, but might be able to limit alimony etc. In some states there is case law that if you had a spouse during acquisition of your degree, the degree itself (or more accurately, what it yields financially) may be part of the marital estate. A prenup generally holds water only if both spouses have legal advice and representation so if you want it to be supported you may have to pay for an attorney of your betrothed's choice for her, as well as your own. Even then, if there is deemed to be an inequality of bargaining power, ie a rich uber educated physician marrying a poor high school graduate, the document may not be enforceable unless the document on its face seems fair to both parties. And also bear in mind that if you have kids and the spouse ends up with them we are actually talking about more than half your income between community property, alimony and child support. And with kids in the mix, you may still end up paying significant amounts, losing the family home etc if you don't end up the primary caregiver -- the child support is not going to be part of the prenup. Best advice -- pick your spouses wisely.

On the positive side, physicians don't all do as well these days as they have in past years, so you may not have a million dollar home to lose for many years, if ever. :)
Problem is that a prenup increases the chances that your marriage will end in divorce...although this might be because people who are unsure about their choice in partner are way more likely to get one.

That said, I wouldn't do it, lol. Just find someone of similar SES standing and there won't need to be the uncomfortable weirdness. Or someone of HIGHER SES standing hahaha.

dude, you should at least be glad you aren't a girl and really are under a lot of pressure to meet someone and get married right at this age.

that being said, i agree that being single during med school really sucks sometimes.

Reactions: 1 user
Problem is that a prenup increases the chances that your marriage will end in divorce...although this might be because people who are unsure about their choice in partner are way more likely to get one.

All the more reason to get one. ;)

Seriously, I'm too paranoid not to get one.

As for the majority of the people who get married in med school, the divorce rate is really high, so if they're taken now, think of it more as a temporary thing. In other words, those class hotties you have scoped out will be single in a year or two. Give it time...let the wonders of med school work their way through those relationships....

/end cynicism

As for the majority of the people who get married in med school, the divorce rate is really high, so if they're taken now, think of it more as a temporary thing. In other words, those class hotties you have scoped out will be single in a year or two. Give it time...let the wonders of med school work their way through those relationships....

/end cynicism

not to feed it but i have a friend who's a M4 in the midwest (yeah, where people get married real real young). by the time she was M2 (and def by M3), divorces started to set in real real fast. not saying that this is the trend in the midwest or anything. just saying your cynical remarks are actually really true.

the best eligible divorcee is that of a doctor. they have tons of money, more than the poor doctor

#1. Enjoy being single. It is one of the only times where you get to be completely selfish and only do what you want to do.

Exactly.

Why would you want some anal girl anyway? .

:eek:

I think it's an undeniable fact that a great majority of women want to marry non-jerk guys who are very financially stable. If you are talking about the ideal occupation for a woman's husband, I dare to say medical doctor is among the Top 3. .

I do think its true in general that girls date jerks and marry non-jerks. Jerks are fun and non-jerks are stable. One is for marrying and one is for dating. In some ways, being the stable mate of a girl who "had her fun" is quite insulting.

If you are really interested in marriage at this point, churches are a great place to go. You meet girls who are not hoochie-mommas looking for fun. You meet girls with values and a moral compass -the marrying type.

Any sort of club will do : reading clubs at Barnes and Nobles, hiking clubs, running clubs (every town has them) - whatever you are actually interested in. Find a group of people that do what you already do. The BIG problem with this - although it can be a good way of meeting the right girl, is after you have met her she is now in your fortress of solitude Superman. When you are deep into the relationship, you will soon find what you look forward to is the time away from the relationship (no matter how great it is) - and you will naturally find that solace in the activities you enjoy - but which she happens to enjoy - and will happen to remember is how you met her - and of which she will be somewhat fearful that unless she is along you might meet someone else. So she will always be there. You may think that is what you want now - but wait until you have been with the same person for some time.

/end cynicism

Yeah just what the poor guy needs. Some jaded divorcee who is in his class and knows his every move already.

If you are really interested in marriage at this point, churches are a great place to go. You meet girls who are not hoochie-mommas looking for fun. You meet girls with values and a moral compass -the marrying type.

Hahah...riiight... :rolleyes: Get real.

I looked but could find no google-able information on this. Can you tell me where you found the information that prenups are associated with increased rates of divorce?

You may think that is what you want now - but wait until you have been with the same person for some time.

The same could be said for anyone, not just those you met at a "hobby club."

I looked but could find no google-able information on this. Can you tell me where you found the information that prenups are associated with increased rates of divorce?

I think the studies that have shown evidence for that have all been correlational stuff. Odds are, it's becuase people who don't trust each other as much are more liekly to get a pre-nup, and people who don't trust each other aren't likely to stay together for as long ;) I don't think that getting one is going to have a huge influence on a relationship, though. Unless you piss the other person off by asking in the first place :)

I feel like dealing with these things is a talent. You need to have the ability to create mental disconnects at will, or as its sometimes called: to be a glass half-full person.

When you're single its awesome because, as someone else mentioned, you're completely free to do whatever you want all the time. You can be as selfish as you want and enjoy yourself and things you like to do alone.

When you're in a relationship you get all the things that a relationship affords. An understanding friend whom you can also have sex with. Someone with whom you can have deep meaningful conversation (i like this stuff, if you don't, whatever). And all that stuff i dont feel like listing.

Anywho, you have to treat your current situation like its the best. Thats what I mean by mastering the mental disconnect. When the situation changes, well the new situation is now the best situation.

I'm single at the moment and will be, probably, going into medical school. Broke up with my GF like 6 months ago amicably. But I'm sitting here right now in my underwear and I'm sort of testing the weight of my balls, comparing them to each other, with my left hand. I'd get weird looks if my GF was in the room with me but since shes not I can do it carefree. Whenever i want.

I feel like dealing with these things is a talent. You need to have the ability to create mental disconnects at will, or as its sometimes called: to be a glass half-full person.

When you're single its awesome because, as someone else mentioned, you're completely free to do whatever you want all the time. You can be as selfish as you want and enjoy yourself and things you like to do alone.

When you're in a relationship you get all the things that a relationship affords. An understanding friend whom you can also have sex with. Someone with whom you can have deep meaningful conversation (i like this stuff, if you don't, whatever). And all that stuff i dont feel like listing.

Anywho, you have to treat your current situation like its the best. Thats what I mean by mastering the mental disconnect. When the situation changes, well the new situation is now the best situation.

I'm single at the moment and will be, probably, going into medical school. Broke up with my GF like 6 months ago amicably. But I'm sitting here right now in my underwear and I'm sort of testing the weight of my balls, comparing them to each other, with my left hand. I'd get weird looks if my GF was in the room with me but since shes not I can do it carefree. Whenever i want.

your left is higher than your right, no? ;)

To the OP, does your school have a grad school or vet school? If you like science-y girls, but don't want to inbreed in the med school gene pool, you may try there. I'm married, but there are loads of girls in the vet school and very few guys who are single. I can count the single guys on one hand in our class, if I recall. Heck, and if you start dating a vet student, you can come over to her anatomy lab and she can come to yours. Yay for comparative anatomy...in more ways than one! :D

My wife and I met while living 1000 miles apart and we didn't meet on the internet, the interSTATE actually. She was in my area for 2 days and I passed her on the interstate, thought she was cute and the rest is history . . .

great for you. why don't you stop to realize that oh wait you might have a very unique case. while i would think a person who stopped me on the interstate and asked for number was a murder, you married the woman.

great for you. why don't you stop to realize that oh wait you might have a very unique case. while i would think a person who stopped me on the interstate and asked for number was a murder, you married the woman.

She stopped me and was with two friends and I with 3 (including a girl). I don't look very suspect, either.

She stopped me and was with two friends and I with 3 (including a girl). I don't look very suspect, either.
ok so is this serious advice or what? sitting on a highway with a chick to score another chick? I kinda like the idea

I've got a very similar situation to the OP at my school. We already have a shortage of girls in general, I think it's only 40% female at my school. That's compounded with the fact that most of those girls are married, engaged, got married last summer after first-year, or have been dating the same guy since high school and might as well be married.

It's true, unless you're one of those people who can pick up girls at bars (I don't drink) or have a church to go to (I'm not Christian), you may have a tough go at it. It's too incestuous to date someone within your class, and I don't know about you, but I've had like zero opportunity to interact with either the undergrad campus or the nursing/pharmacy students at my medical campus.

To the OP: Have you tried internet dating? I've had some interesting results. Gone out on a few first dates that went nowhere, but at least it's one step closer. Plentyoffish.com and OkCupid.com are two of the best free ones I've found. Oh well, good hunting everyone :-D

Oh c'mon, hoochie-mommas are the best, I love hoochies! HA HA HA just kiddin' around, I thought it was a hilarious description you used. :D

Yeah it's stupid being a girl's "fallback" after she's "had her fun", but but a girl who's too uptight and conservative is not really my type either.

/end cynicism

lol this is classic :laugh: i'm an M1 and most of the best looking girls ARE taken at the moment, so hopefully your predictions are correct. but at the same time i'd like to date someone not in my class because i don't want to have to deal with seeing them all the time if things go sour. yay for dental/nursing/[insert other field on health campus] students!!!

When you're arm-deep in cadavers for hours on end every day and go home to look at the brachial plexus before you pass out over a bowl of Ramen, you might be grateful not to have a significant other waiting for you with a "You never pay enough attention to meeee! All you do is look at stupid body parts!"

Not that I'm opposed to the idea of true lurrrrve, but I'm grateful not to have the same sticky relationship issues a good chunk of my classmates are having. School stress is more than enough without the added stress of a clingy or resentful SO. So my two cents is to use your whine-free hours to stay on top of your work, be proactive in finding entertainment during those beautiful free moments, and wait it out until someone totally rad waddles past you. :thumbup:

Why do people refuse to follow this simple rule. 3 words for you. Art School Chicks. By far the most date-able girls. Some might be a bit quirky, but they are never stressed like a medical student are, they are at peace with themselves, and lets be honest, most are closet freaks. Do yourself a favor and move to nyc and hang around Pratt, FIT, etc.