how to conduct independent research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblossom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a post-bacc student, i've taken gen chem i & ii, and the first semesters of organic chemistry and biology. i realize i dont have much of a science background :(

also the school i am taking my post bacc classes at is quite small, and priority for all research opportunities (in a lab, under the direction of a professor) is given to undergraduates. (i've been told that it's damn near impossible for a post-bacc to get lab research experience here)

so i have been entertaining the idea of independent research. i would try to find a professor willing to overlook my research proposal and progress, drafts, etc just to make sure what i am doing isn't ridiculous

however my first hurdle is finding a research proposal to begin with! a student i chatted with said she was conducting independent research with publicly available data. that sounds like something i would be interested in, but i'm clueless as to where to start.

i wrote a senior thesis (in the humanities) in college, so i'm not a complete stranger to independent research, fwiw. i just feel a bit lost re: getting started in something science/medicine related

Members don't see this ad.