How to become a diagnostic/interventional radiologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenoobrules

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been interested in radiology for quite some time, but I am still confused on how the training after medical school works out. I understand that the majority of diagnostic radiology residency programs require a separate pgy 1/translational year followed by the four year residency. Then you can do a fellowship in a field of your choosing (ie: interventional).

When I apply for the match, do I apply to both pgy 1 programs and radiology residency programs? So in march will I get matched to both a pgy 1 program and a radiology residency program? Or do I apply to a radiology residency after I start my pgy 1 program?
Where can I find a list of pgy 1 programs?
When I look at the match data on pages 4/5, why is diagnostic radiology listed as a pgy-2 and pgy-1?
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2016.pdf

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I was just matched this year so this is all fresh in my head.

When you apply to match, you will apply to both a prelim/TY AND a radiology program. Come match day, you'll find out both results.

If you manage to match into a prelim/TY BUT you don't manage to secure a rads spot, you can apply again to rads after you start your pgy-1 program.

The link which you've provided has all the prelim and TY programs. You can ctrl+F "preliminary" and "transitional" to look up each program, but that's a huge pain. If you wait until ERAS opens (the website for residency applications), there will be a useful filter function which will list all the prelim/TY for you.

Radiology is listed as pgy-1 and pgy-2 because some rad programs have the prelim year wrapped into it as a package. Such programs with a pgy-1 included will be listed as pgy-1; they're also known as "categorical" programs. The rad programs with a separate pgy-1 are known as "advanced" programs. As you've said, the advanced programs (those with a separate pgy-1) far outnumber the categorical programs. There are pros and cons for each.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me! Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to be an Interventional Radiologist I suggest you apply to an Interventional Radiology Residency, which is separate from the traditional pathway of a Diagnostic Radiology Residency followed by an Interventional Radiology Fellowship. If you're not sure, go into diagnostics.