How to be a good student shadower?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkosp2451

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pre-medical student who is planning on shadowing a doctor at a Cardiac Intensive Care Unit in the next few weeks. I'm in the process of getting it all setup right now. I know every doctor has different preferences. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on what to do?

I have some experience in healthcare, so I figure the basics are to dress professionally, not to get in the way of the doctors/nurses/etc., be respectful and polite, don't break HIPAA, and so on.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Ask the doctor what he expects of you, maybe? Usually shadowing was pretty much showing up, following, staying quiet during patient interactions, and only asking questions when walking between patients or attending didn't look busy writing/doing other work.

Take initiative!!
On your first day, start arguing with the nurses about pressers. Argue with the RT about vent settings. When the attending shows up, insist that he justify his management approach on each patient. Then at about 930, ask when he is buying you coffee.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ask the doctor what he expects of you, maybe? Usually shadowing was pretty much showing up, following, staying quiet during patient interactions, and only asking questions when walking between patients or attending didn't look busy writing/doing other work.
Great advice. Shadowing is pretty easy, just try to be involved (ask questions) without being overbearing (talking too much) :)