How to be a DDS in Hawaii?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Esthetic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi..I am an international doctor studying 3-years specialty program. Which means I don't have America DDS degree but my 3-years program is ADA accredited program. I am interested in being a dentist in Hawaii.
Is there anyone who can let me know?​

Members don't see this ad.

You need a DDS to practice in HI. No shortcuts here.

Not to mention that Honolulu is one of the most saturated markets for dentists. On vacation I went into the Ala Moana mall and walked next door to a professional building and was amazed at what I saw.

Now this is just a memory recollection from a couple of years ago but here goes:

18 story building.
140 total listings.
90 dental related listings.

75 general dentists.
2 periodontists.
2 oral surgeons.
4 pediatric dentists.
2 prosthodontists.
1 oral pathologist.
2 orthodontists.
2 dental labs.

If you really want to appeal to the dental board for licensure, I would advise that you would show commitment to working in an underserved, rural community outside of the city center (of anywhere in the country, not just HI).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
u are eligible for licensure in 8 states with your specialty certificate.more details can be had from ada's website.

As far as I know, you need a DDS/DMD from ADA accredited program so sounds like you will not be practicing in Hawaii unless you go back for the appropriate degree. I would contact the Hawaii dental board to confirm though.

Hi..I am an international doctor studying 3-years specialty program. Which means I don't have America DDS degree but my 3-years program is ADA accredited program. I am interested in being a dentist in Hawaii.
Is there anyone who can let me know?​

If it's an ADA acccredited program, then perhaps you can do a 2-year International dental program to get licensed here. Inquire to see if your degree is good for this.

Also, my dad is a dentist is Hawaii, and I "may" go back to take over his practice. But the fact of that matter is that you won't make that much unless you're insanely good at marketing. There are about 1000 people per dentist in Hawaii, what means, probably a little under a thousand dentists in Hawaii.

if you're curious:

http://www.dentisthonolulu.com

If it's an ADA acccredited program, then perhaps you can do a 2-year International dental program to get licensed here. Inquire to see if your degree is good for this.

Also, my dad is a dentist is Hawaii, and I "may" go back to take over his practice. But the fact of that matter is that you won't make that much unless you're insanely good at marketing. There are about 1000 people per dentist in Hawaii, what means, probably a little under a thousand dentists in Hawaii.

if you're curious:

http://www.dentisthonolulu.com

Dude, seriously, why go anywhere else? I know you grew up there so you may be looking for a change, but I encourage any dental student whose father/mother is a dentist to go back and practice with them. You get 1. a mentor. 2. a stable job. 3. a happier job. 4. you build equity in a practice 5. less production pressure.

Looks like a nice practice.... good luck to you!

DDS> Dental Therapists> DMD

That's what they tell me here

You are a real idiot if you actually believe that a DMD only knows how to s&rp and do prophies. Or that a dental therapist is more educated. DMD and DDS are equivalent. It just depends on the school as to which one you recieve. I can assure you my training as a DMD is the same, if not better, than any DDS program. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time - both of you ******s probably just like to stir the pot. How about next time you go to the ADA website to do some research before you start running your mouth on topics about which you obviously know nothing about.

You are a real idiot if you actually believe that a DMD only knows how to s&rp and do prophies. Or that a dental therapist is more educated. DMD and DDS are equivalent. It just depends on the school as to which one you recieve. I can assure you my training as a DMD is the same, if not better, than any DDS program. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time - both of you ******s probably just like to stir the pot. How about next time you go to the ADA website to do some research before you start running your mouth on topics about which you obviously know nothing about.

TJNova2011 and omaralt were being sarcastic.

WOW.:roflcopter: way to set 'em straight! :smack: How'd that feel TJ?! haha

hahahahah what a ******

Your DMD has taught and signifies a great deal of professionalism. Amen

'Roid rage. They juice everybody up at the DMD programs.

:laugh: Note to self: "Detecting Sarcasm: 101" not included in DMD curriculum...