How strong is Stanford premed?

gurt567

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have the option of attending Stanford, class of 2023. I just want to get a feel for how conducive of an environment it creates for premeds. ORM, likely major in Human Biology and aiming for top tier medical schools.

How is the grade inflation? Is it reasonable to study hard and get a 3.9+ GPA, even with the tough premed weeder courses, or is the school like WashU which just completely tanks your grades?

How is the advising? I've heard mixed reviews of the premed advisors.

Opportunities to explore healthcare? This includes research, clinical experience, community service, clubs. How does Stanford match up to, let's say Harvard or Yale in this regard? I want to get the cookie cutter Ecstatics out of the way and have the ability to focus on one passion.

How is placement into Stanford medical school? I heard they like their own UGs.

Members don't see this ad.

At this level of school, differences in opportunities are negligible. Some med schools may have a small bias for their own students, but not nearly a large enough effect size to sway undergrad decisions. Go wherever you like the weather the most and come back in a couple years for more applicable advice.

The more relevant advice I would offer to you is to branch out a little and take some non-premed courses. I came into undergrad with the same self-assured medicine-or-bust attitude -- and I am still on that train -- but under the guidance of some wise mentors I ended up entirely changing majors and rethinking the direction I wanted my career to go. You seem focused and intelligent -- be sure to examine all your options the next 4+ years and think hard about how best to spend your next half-dozen decades on the planet. Medicine is a great field, but fresh 18 year olds rarely have the insight to appreciate it for what it is and to appreciate the value of other disciplines. Don't get so caught up in "cookie-cutter ECs" and "weeder courses" that you forget to enjoy your exploration time as a young student.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users