Medical How should I plan for reapplication/strengthen my application (already have a MHS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
26, female, white, Maryland resident, undergrad in Baltimore.

UG: 2017 from a top 10 school (I don't think that matters) BA in Public Health Studies.
  • My freshman and sophomore year was rough and I realize the weakest part of my application is my ugBCPM=3.12
    • F: 1.74, S: 2.8, J: 3.63 (23 credits science), S: 3.96 (16 credits science)
    • (Chem 1: P (first-semester P/F), Chem 2, Orgo 1, and Orgo 2: all C+), but thereafter (i.e., 2nd semester of sophomore year and onwards grades were all A's, and two B's.
Grad: 2018 Thesis based masters, Masters of Health Science in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
  • 1 year, 33 credits, all upper-level science (Mol and Cell Bio, Physiology, Immunology, Genetics, Repro-bio, etc.)
    • 3.94 GPA
MCAT 2020: Total 510 126/128/129/127. scheduled to take in March, canceled the week before, then 2 more times. eventually able to get a date end of June. This was tough having to stay fresh on material, find/pay for more practice tests, all while working full time, but that's life.

Volunteer:
Medical:

• Clinic for the Homeless (all through undergrad), front desk volunteer with direct patient contact, 2015-2019, discussed how this experience was influential in shaping my mission to provide healthcare to marginalized populations, 800 Hrs. (Most meaningful)
  • Hospital affiliated clinic specifically for the uninsured (Masters), 800 Hrs, processed charts, scheduled appointments, helped people apply for health care.
  • Opioid Overdose Response Team, outreach visits in the city to train people to respond to an overdose and administer naloxone, 400 hrs
  • Eye clinic in India 350 hrs (was also a member of the organization's chapter at my college), worked in the slums to set up eye clinics, screen for cataracts, observed surgeries, distributed glasses, (most meaningful)

Non-Medical:
  • Volunteer Coach: Taught children with developmental and neurological disabilities to play sports, 580 hrs
  • Surf Club Member and Volunteer at surfers healing-->beach clean up, wildlife preservation, taught children with autism to surf, 150 hrs
  • Volunteer Tutor for children who were behind for their grade level, 100 hrs.
  • Global Health-Oriented Organization in undergrad, (volunteered in India with same organization), planned fundraisers on campus, collected eyeglasses from local stakeholders 150 hrs

Research/Paid Employment:
  • Undergrad Research (all through undergrad), neurodevelopment imaging lab, 1000 hrs
  • Clinical Research Assistant, Part-Time Employment (Masters) in Internal Medicine, behavioral intervention for gestational diabetes, patient contact, one publication, 1500 hrs
  • Graduate Research Assistant (Masters), Immunology and Molecular Biology Lab at Graduate School, all wet lab, 500 hrs
  • Clinical Research Coordinator, Full Time in a hospital (Current Position, 3 years): Oncology clinical trials and research studies, draw/process blood, direct patient contact/work directly with the care team, also doing benchwork for a side project, 3 publications, second author (all high impact journals for whatever that's worth) 5000 hrs. (Most Meaningful)
Rec Letters:
  • Committee Letter
  • Addtl. Letters
    • 4 from current employment (head PI, and three physicians I work directly with)
    • 2 Professor's from Masters program (Biochemistry and Immunology/Molecular Biology)

I realize there is no clear cut shadowing experience, I shadowed a physician the summer before college, spoke about this in my personal statement, have shadowed physicians here and there, but I felt I had more important aspects to include in my application. My research positions and volunteer experience in clinics have been similar to shadowing as I round with physicians, sit in on their clinic appointments, help them maintain their charts.

Secondaries were complete end of September (I realize probably shot myself in the foot here), waiting on AMCAS verification, MCAT canceled three times due to COVID.

Schools Applied to:
Maryland (on hold)
Vermont
Drexel
EVMS
VCU
WVU (Interview in Feb), ties
Temple
Jefferson
Miami (MD/MPH)
Tulane
Emory
Colorado
Hofstra
NYMC
Einstein
Hopkins (I know.. undergrad & grad school, and worked here for 5 years)
FIU
FSU
USF
Loyola
Case Western (Lerner and UP)
Wright State
Dartmouth
--
Vanderbilt (R)
Georgetown (R)
GW (R)
Brown (R)

Obviously, my weakest aspects are my 1: early grades/overall science GPA, 2: how late I applied. I realize I haven't heard from a lot of schools, but I also realize a lot of them are schools with silent rejections. I am trying to plan for reapplication and curious to know what my next steps should be to strengthen my application.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
As a reinventor, you needed to have DO schools on your list, especially with an MCAT score that is at median. Most reinventors have much better MCATs. As such, for MD your chances are best at U MD.

These schools were especially donations:

Emory
Colorado
Hofstra
Einstein
Hopkins (I know.. undergrad & grad school, and worked here for 5 years)
FIU
FSU
USF
Case Western (Lerner and UP)
Wright State
Dartmouth
Vanderbilt (R)
Brown (R)

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your reply. Three questions:

1: What would your recommendations be if I am not accepted? Retake MCAT? Retake science courses?

2: isn’t my MCAT within the range at FIU, Wright, and Colorado? Is it because I am OOS?

3: can I still apply to DO schools? If so, which would you recommend based on my stats?
Agree with Goro. Need to have DO schools on the list.

1. I would not retake the MCAT as your MCAT is not your problem.
2. Most likely. Not sure about resident preference of these schools.
3. You are going to be competitive at any of the DO schools. Apply to the older, more established schools as they have more solid clinical rotations.

1. MCAT is okay/good. It is 80th percentile. Would consider retaking science courses but be aware it won't really do much since grade replacement is not a think anymore (even with DO apps)
2. FIU would probably/most likley have regional preference and would require an even higher MCAT to be considered. Wright you may have a shot but again most of the Ohio programs are more in-state focused. Colorado is a pretty competitive medical school and 510 MCAT may not cut it despite being in range.
3. Yes you can still apply. RVU-CO, PCOM, and TCOM would be at the top of my list. your application is strong enough to be seriously considered for MD schools. Go all on in for those.

1. MCAT is okay/good. It is 80th percentile. Would consider retaking science courses but be aware it won't really do much since grade replacement is not a think anymore (even with DO apps)
2. FIU would probably/most likley have regional preference and would require an even higher MCAT to be considered. Wright you may have a shot but again most of the Ohio programs are more in-state focused. Colorado is a pretty competitive medical school and 510 MCAT may not cut it despite being in range.
3. Yes you can still apply. RVU-CO, PCOM, and TCOM would be at the top of my list. your application is strong enough to be seriously considered for MD schools. Go all on in for those.
TCOM is awesome but the odds are really stacked against you. They accept primarily Texas applicants and the very few that get in from OOS have STELLAR applications that could have gone MD.

RVU, PCOM, KCU, DMU, MSU (super expensive, but good), OSU, Touro are some of the good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.