How old where you when you entered med School O' ye non trads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M2Oer said:
I'll be 26 when I apply, but who cares how old you are? As my mom says "you're going to get older anyway, you might as well be doing what you love."

Your mom's advice is great. It is what I tell all of my family and friends now when they ask the question, "so, how old will you be by the end of school? and what about residency?"

Tell your mom thanks ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 28 and starting this fall with a wife and 4 kids. My oldest is 5 and my youngest is 4 months. There is no way I would be where I'm at without my wife!

Members don't see this ad :)
I entered med school at age 28 (to start MD/PhD).

I'm now 34 and back to MS3--yet another new beginning :luck:

ClosetNerd said:
Your mom's advice is great. It is what I tell all of my family and friends now when they ask the question, "so, how old will you be by the end of school? and what about residency?"

Tell your mom thanks ;)
It is definitely good advice. I got harrassed by this one interviewer who was a new assistant prof and probably about the same age (early 30s) as I was. The guy was asking me, "Q, how do you feel about being ten years older than your classmates? How do you feel about being older than the residents who will be teaching you? How do you feel about being finished with your training after age 40?" I told him that I didn't care how old my classmates and the residents were as long as they knew what they were doing and were willing to teach me, and that I'd be 40 in ten years no matter what I did, so I might as well be 40 and an MD/PhD. :D That finally got him to let up.

For those of you with families: how do you handle financing? I presently get paid well in a dry, lifeless career, and I'm trying to get back into science. In '08, which is my target date, I'll have a senior and a junior in HS - with no income but a small savings, and whatever my wife may make (in a depressed job market, at that). It seems like an insurmountable hurdle. Any suggestions?

TT

Did it with loans, old guy. Did it with loans. It really wasn't too bad since I went to my local state school when I went back for undergrad. As for med school, they give you a living allowance which works for a family if you're frugal.

ShyRem said:
Did it with loans, old guy. Did it with loans. It really wasn't too bad since I went to my local state school when I went back for undergrad. As for med school, they give you a living allowance which works for a family if you're frugal.

I don't want to get too personal, but what sort of debt (school loans only) do you have now and will you have when you are out of med school?

I'm thinking of taking some upper-level courses in the glide year and not working, but it depends on where I (hopefully) get accepted. Just wondering how others do it :)!

megboo said:
I don't want to get too personal, but what sort of debt (school loans only) do you have now and will you have when you are out of med school?
Personal debt other than house is minor: both autos late 1990s and paid off, ZERO revolving debt, one small installment loan with about a year to go. The personal debt isn't the concern so much as the enormous expenses that tend to pop up with 2 late HS - early college children.

37, almost 38 whenI started, now 42 in residency, will be 45 when I'm done. Oh, one little fact I haven't seen yet on this thread... I am a grandmother too. First grandma to attend my school.

ekydrd said:
37, almost 38 whenI started, now 42 in residency, will be 45 when I'm done. Oh, one little fact I haven't seen yet on this thread... I am a grandmother too. First grandma to attend my school.

Wow!!! Good for you there grandma!!!! I am so proudd of you :clap:

I started at 32. This means that I will be like 40000 years old when I finish resiedncy, but I figure I am going to turn 40000 either way, so I might as well be a physician when it happens.

I am now 26 thinking about starting my pereq's. i myself sometimes think i am too old. But reading other postings made me release that If you want something badly enough, age doesnt matter. As long as you have your health. Overall happiness and fulfillment is key.

Members don't see this ad :)
Started pre-reqs at 38 will be 42 and counting...... :D

I started med school at 46 in August 2005. Just finished the MS1 year on May 27th. Finished with 4 honor grades and one pass grade. Tough experience but I could be 47 right now and still be sitting in a job that was rotting my soul or I could find a better way. I may be considered an old jerk by my classmates but at least I am a smart old jerk.

Good luck to all of the non-trads out there. You are only too old after the funeral.

3rd sem now started at age 32. 2 years on an ambulance and 12 years as an ER Tech before that.

I'm 33 and I just got readmitted to my old school today (GA Tech). I'll have to take some Biology and Chemistry classes and take the MCAT next spring/summer to apply for school starting in '08. At that time, I'd be 35 starting med school. I'm taking the first steps, but I'm still not completely convinced that it's the right thing to do. I make a very good living (about $175K) now and going back to school full time is going to be a major adjustment for me, my wife and my 3 year old daughter. But what I'm most concerned about it residency. My daughter will be about 9 when I start and 13 when I finish and I'm afraid that I'm going to miss out on too much. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any insight into how painful residency is going to be for the wife/daughter?

Applied @ 29, accepted @30...just finished my 1st year!! I try not to think about how old I'll be when I start getting a decent salary....

I guess I'm with the majority of posters here, I applied at 28 and will start at 29 in 17 more days!!! Let's hear it for all the 29's!
~James

Daddydoc said:
I'm 28 and starting this fall with a wife and 4 kids. My oldest is 5 and my youngest is 4 months. There is no way I would be where I'm at without my wife!

oh god bless your wife! 4 kids aged 5 and under?? I have 2 under 2 and feel like I will go bonkers everyday. And now she's handling them while you go to med school? Someone buy that woman a sundae. I'm amazed everyday that my husband sticks around faced with the prospect of handling our kids while I go to med school. I promised him once I am done he can just sit around and play video games all day :) big ups to your wife :thumbup:

I will be 28 when I start med school if I get in the first try. That makes me 36 when I finsih residency. I want a few more kids, so looks like I'm going to be popping them out into my forties...

live2theedge said:
I will start medical school this fall at the age of 51!

you rock! I love hearing about people who pursue new stuff and never quit. God never said life ends at 50 or 60 - you are an inspiration to us all as OMD said. one of my favorite peeps is Story Musgrave - you can check out his bio at Nasa.gov. He's now close to 70 and pursuing ANOTHER degree. And one of my old Prof's, Dr. Montgomery, climbed Mt Ararat 3 times - after the age of 50.

Blessings,

Sporky

I'm 45 right now... I have another year of chemistry, physics and math to complete, so I think I may make it to med school between 46 and 47

is this too old? My daghters will be in medical school at the same time as me.

when is it just too late...(?)

newyorkcougar said:
I started at 32. This means that I will be like 40000 years old when I finish resiedncy, but I figure I am going to turn 40000 either way, so I might as well be a physician when it happens.
That is a long-@ss residency! I'll be 32 when I start, too :scared:

Thanks for your encouraging words. I am 45 now and was just hastily and rudely I must add, shown the door by a caribean medical school. I was always threatened about my age and how difficult it would be to just keep up with my younger counterparts.

instead of crying about what happened i decided to do a google search and landed on this site and joined. Just the inspiration I need. I have a ways to go and five "Grown" daughters who are looking at me! they all are going into the health field... vetrinarian, MD, Nurse Practitioner, MD and my youngest MD. They've already started to look for medical schools and colleges which will prepare them for their choice of med / vet/ nursing / schools. as for me, a job as a NYS EMT does not suffice all the bills surmounting... I get discouraged more often than encouraged... thanks for your words.

I started med school at 46 and I am not the oldest individual in the class. The oldest person in the class with me was a first year at one Texas med school while his son was a second year at another school in Texas. Strange stuff happens. It is only over when you say it is over.

I started med school at 46 in August 2005. Just finished the MS1 year on May 27th. Finished with 4 honor grades and one pass grade. Tough experience but I could be 47 right now and still be sitting in a job that was rotting my soul and destroying my life or I could find a better way. I may be considered an old jerk by my classmates but at least I am a smart old jerk.

Good luck to you. Stay the course. Some of the best advice ever given to me came from a somewhat older coworker who will retire next year from the same company I quit to go to med school. He told me that in speaking to elderly people now faced with very limited options he found that most did not regret various life choices. They regreted not making hard choices and not taking risks in their lives. You are only too old for this after the funeral. Never give up.

poet106 said:
I'm 45 right now... I have another year of chemistry, physics and math to complete, so I think I may make it to med school between 46 and 47

is this too old? My daghters will be in medical school at the same time as me.

when is it just too late...(?)

I am turning 35 tomorrow (July 12). If any med school accepts me in this cycle, I will start at 36. :D

live2theedge said:
I will start medical school this fall at the age of 51!

you give me hope.

i am 40 and just now finishing pre req's to apply in 2008

I am looking for any nontrads out there that was prior military and was from one of the states that offer free 4 yr education if you served. For example, I enlisted in the state of Illinois. They have the Illinois Veterans Grant there. It is supposedly good for 4 yrs of any degree even an MD if you go to a state school. I am looking for someone that has or is benefitting from these grants. Thank you in advance. Oh yea, GO NON TRADS!!!:clap:

I am looking for any nontrads out there that was prior military and was from one of the states that offer free 4 yr education if you served. For example, I enlisted in the state of Illinois. They have the Illinois Veterans Grant there. It is supposedly good for 4 yrs of any degree even an MD if you go to a state school. I am looking for someone that has or is benefitting from these grants. Thank you in advance. Oh yea, GO NON TRADS!!!:clap:

Illinois and Texas are the only ones I've ever heard of. (I'm Texan)
In Texas, at least, it's called the Hazlewood Act. I love that program.

will start medical school in fall '07 at the tender young age of 48. I have greatly enjoyed taking premedical classes with people of all ages, and most of my classmates have been in their 20s or early 30s. Their energy and enthusiasm is contagious and as a person who is still growing and learning I find we are not so far apart. In fact having a young family is probably what sets me apart more than age, at least versus those who are still single and looking.

I am interested in people (downright nosy, in fact) so I just let them talk all about their hopes, dreams, & aspirations and thus I become quite friendly with an age group that normally I would expect to have little in common with.

Beyond that, I am totally enjoying this career change and the prospect of doing something significant with my life after puking so much of it away in front of a crt.
:)

It is definitely good advice. I got harrassed by this one interviewer who was a new assistant prof and probably about the same age (early 30s) as I was. The guy was asking me, "Q, how do you feel about being ten years older than your classmates? How do you feel about being older than the residents who will be teaching you? How do you feel about being finished with your training after age 40?" I told him that I didn't care how old my classmates and the residents were as long as they knew what they were doing and were willing to teach me, and that I'd be 40 in ten years no matter what I did, so I might as well be 40 and an MD/PhD. :D That finally got him to let up.

As I was reading through this thread I noticed this post, sorry Q couldnt resist. I will be 40, in june, and starting a formal MD-PhD program. More than Likely I'll be at BU, was accepted for the class of 2007. However, there are other schools still waiting on hearing from. I am sure my age is an issue and have had some interesting discussions with adcom's during the various interviews I have been on. Most look favorably at it, given the depth of life, work experiences combined with the added maturity. I did get some that were specific about how How do you feel about being finished with your training after age .... ?" question. My retort was, sometimes you dont figure out what ya wanna do right off the bat and now that I am here, I'd rather not delay it any further and be that much older later on.

4 kids already at 28? Geez man.

Y'know, Q, I said pretty much the same thing when they asked how I felt being older than the "normal" student. Said I'd be 4 years older if I sat on my butt on the couch, baked cookies, or studied medicine... and I'd rather be studying medicine. No more questions. :D

Y'know, Q, I said pretty much the same thing when they asked how I felt being older than the "normal" student. Said I'd be 4 years older if I sat on my butt on the couch, baked cookies, or studied medicine... and I'd rather be studying medicine. No more questions. :D

I got asked the "how will you feel relating to classmates so much younger than you?" -- and not just at one place either; I heard this 3 or 4 times. I was taken a little by surprise the first time out, as I'm still in my 20s.

I decided to avoid claiming there was no difference between us (interviewer thinks: "she hasn't matured since college") or, on the other end of the spectrum, sounding as if I thought that I would be better than the younger people or maintain any smidgen of my current teacher-to-student relationship with them.

I tried to re-focus the question on how life experiences had made me a better team player with many varieties of people (age, rank, education, etc.) It was the best thing I could come up with, but I'm still not quite satisfied with it.

If all goes well I should be 34 my first year of med school.

30 this yr

graduating with a phd in march or latest april

applying for medic now

hopefully to start first yr in july

all you guys are my inspiration especially to hat 51 yr old guy and that grandma

30 this yr

graduating with a phd in march or latest april

applying for medic now

hopefully to start first yr in july

all you guys are my inspiration especially to hat 51 yr old guy and that grandma

my hats off to you all

I will go for the gold in '08. Will be 45. Am I worried, hell no! I finally reached the light at the end of the tunnel and it is sooooo bright.

Artmed

Once upon a time there was an artist who dreamed of becoming a doctor...
Leonardo Da Vinci?
Nope, that's me!!!

I will go for the gold in '08. Will be 45. Am I worried, hell no! I finally reached the light at the end of the tunnel and it is sooooo bright.

Artmed

Once upon a time there was an artist who dreamed of becoming a doctor...
Leonardo Da Vinci?
Nope, that's me!!!

Congratulations Artmed, that's the good work. Can you share with us how you find the light at the end of the tunnel? what is your path? Thanks
Don.

Can you tell me what Ad is? I am thinking about going into the military before applying to medical school. Can I actually finish prereqs while i am in? Organic, bio, all that? (I am in the middle of completing my prereqs, but i was thinking about a break and all the while going in to support my new family) Can you give me some advice? PM is fine too... Thanks.

I started taking post-bac classes five years ago with the goal of starting school by the time I was 30. I'll turn 30 the day before orientation, so I guess technically I missed my goal by 24 hours! :laugh:

32 :confused: When I started volunteering at hospital thinking about career change, maybe nursing? Doctor? Nahh, too old for medical school.
33 :hungover: When I started Post Bacc, test out waters, see if brain is fried.
34 :luck: When I started applying, probably have to apply a second time, give it a shot.
35 :clap: The Present, accepted to medical school!
35 :cool: When I start medical school this fall
36 :eek: During First Block Exams!

I was used to being the youngest in my classes...
21 when I graduated college:cool:
24 when I graduated law school:scared:

But then the dream of medical school did not die and kept growing stronger, so I then I became one of the oldest in the class. The younger students (22 yo) would say in awe of the law degree and practice, "But you don't look that old?" Mind you, I was 26! So I would just reply, "That's because I'm not that old." But I remember those days in law school when I thought the people who started law school at 25 were ancient.

26 when I started post-bacc:idea:
27 when I first applied to 4 schools (1 interview, 1 reject)
28 when I applied a second time to more schools, but only completed the 4 original secondaries plus one DO (2 interviews, 1 Acceptance, 1 waitlist with word of acceptance coming very soon) :hardy:
29 when I will start medical school this fall:love:

Anyhow, I acquired a husband in the process...and hope to pick up some babies along the way too!

Accepted at age 38, beginning as MSI at age 39. :eek:

You are SOOO not too old!!

Do You really think so? I have tried to keep myself away from the Rah rah sort of thing, but if I'm truly going to DO something like this I'm looking at let's see.....

1st-3rd years 39-42... residency after that ... until what?

It's not like at that point I'll be settling into a lucrative private practice etc etc.

Given that my motivations in considering this are altogether not monetary in any way shape or form.... I could still see me dedicating myself to it... but one must still answer the question.......

You may not be Too OLD in a cheerleader sense, but why in the world at this point in your life would you want to put yourself through what it will honestly take to achieve this goal?