How often are you filling your Pyxides?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyandseventytwo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
That's right, the plural of Pyxis is Pyxides. Please be sure to correct nurses as often as possible when they try to be cute by saying Pyxi. They like being corrected.

Anyway, I'm so sick of the daily fills my establishment has been doing forever. I've tried a couple of times to adjust mins and maxes to maybe get down to a thrice weekly rotation, but nobody else has any interest in the matter and I don't have time to maintain it in my spare time. Is this just a pipe dream of mine or are the rest of you able to go a couple of days without refilling?

Members don't see this ad.

How big is your hospital? We are > 50 beds with 4 OR suites and I think we fill each machine daily (except for weekends when certain units - oncology, etc. - are closed).

we do daily - the only way to avoid that is to make the PAR levels higher.
The downside is
1. higher inventory costs
2. If you want to avoid number #1 - you are going to spend a lot of time pulling from one machine to fill another

ya- you will save tech time filling them, but that gain will likely be offset because you have to overfill everything so much, you are gonna have more drugs outdate

Members don't see this ad :)
Your upper management would approve the increase in inventory? You must be in a dream unicorn land.

We fill like, twice a day and got some major budgetary kudos for reducing inventory.

We do twice a day. Don’t think we could fit enough crap to do less often.

Regional, Level II Trauma Hospital, 400 Beds. The Pixi gets filled daily, based on Auto-Fill reports generated every shift.
Night shift responsible for every unit that is closed at night: PACU, Endo, Cath, MRI, OR, etc. We do 27 Pixi every night.