How much Xmas bonus for staff, manager, midlevels, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much Xmas bonus for staff, manager, mid levels?

• $0-50

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • $50-100

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • $100-250

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • $250-500

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • $500-1,000

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • $1000-1500

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • $1500 plus

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters
$600 + plus small gift to front desk staff
$1000 to admin
$1,000-$1,500 for PAs
One week salary for surgery center staff

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I give each of my MAs and biller $500

Bah humbug. I give monthly productivity bonus. If we hit numbers. I give a big christmas bonus

That sounds very generous and not "Scrooge like" at all.

It depends on how much money YOU make. I used to give every employee $5,000 Christmas bonus, but I was making big cash then. I was prevented from giving monthly production bonuses, so that was the answer.

Anything north of $500 I would think would be greatly appreciated by most people. Keep in mind that it is a 50% off sale, as it is all pre-tax. I would probably stratify based on your income.

$400K or below - $500
then add $500 for every $100K above that

If you don't make a Christmas bonus, you should still give at least $500 to the staff. They need the money more. Keep in mind that once you start, you can never stop or go down in bonus amounts. People become used to getting something and count on it.

Keep in mind that once you start, you can never stop or go down in bonus amounts. People become used to getting something and count on it.

I worry about this. I worry about creating a dependency/entitlement mindset among employees. We typically bonus based upon outcomes or production targets and not the holiday calendar. Also, the psychological literature shows that if you want to shape and control behavior, then it's better to give frequent small rewards (we do Starbucks, Dairy Queen, and Walmart gift cards) instead of saving it up for a big one..."Good job keeping the allergies section of the EHR updated. Treat yourself to a Blizzard."

Reactions: 3 users
I worry about this. I worry about creating a dependency/entitlement mindset among employees. We typically bonus based upon outcomes or production targets and not the holiday calendar. Also, the psychological literature shows that if you want to shape and control behavior, then it's better to give frequent small rewards (we do Starbucks, Dairy Queen, and Walmart gift cards) instead of saving it up for a big one..."Good job keeping the allergies section of the EHR updated. Treat yourself to a Blizzard."

I agree.

"random acts" of kindness aka unpredictable reward works better.

that said, I give $100 gift cards to amazon for Christmas.

I have two nurse techs that I am giving bonuses too next week and I'm worried about them talking to each other over what they get. One is getting 650 and the other 350.

Give them the same.. avoid the heartache

Reactions: 1 users
I’m a 22.7%’er
How do you guys keep the good employees?

Members don't see this ad :)

Good points. Apparently, according to the behavioral literature, staff actually responds the best to praise and recognition of their work over financial rewards.

Yes- if you start with a Christmas bonus, you have to keep it up, otherwise the staff will be angry. Also, you can never go down on the amount.

I started with $1500 and eventually got to $5000 at my end of that practice (thank God I'm gone from that assembly line- I never realized how miserable I was until after I left).

The frequent nods of appreciation is a very good idea. Hell, at my age and level of income, I would very much appreciate the DQ Blizzards. Speaking of which, did you know that DQ ripped off the "Blizzard" idea from Ted Drew Frozen Custard in St. Louis? Even the bit about holding it upside down to show you it is thick was ripped off. Old Ted (a Wash U St. Louis must) got a lot of cash from DQ over that one.

Good points. Apparently, according to the behavioral literature, staff actually responds the best to praise and recognition of their work over financial rewards.

Yes- if you start with a Christmas bonus, you have to keep it up, otherwise the staff will be angry. Also, you can never go down on the amount.

I started with $1500 and eventually got to $5000 at my end of that practice (thank God I'm gone from that assembly line- I never realized how miserable I was until after I left).

The frequent nods of appreciation is a very good idea. Hell, at my age and level of income, I would very much appreciate the DQ Blizzards. Speaking of which, did you know that DQ ripped off the "Blizzard" idea from Ted Drew Frozen Custard in St. Louis? Even the bit about holding it upside down to show you it is thick was ripped off. Old Ted (a Wash U St. Louis must) got a lot of cash from DQ over that one.

I have it on good authority that the Ted Drewes on South Grand is closing and they are turning it into a Starbucks.

to drusso, no.

im also W2. I do give gifts, but it is the onus of the employer to gift their paid employees.

W2 here

I pay my assistants out of my own pocket, and I'm doing it while paying all of my money on my student loan so it hurts.

W2 here as well. we give a small cash gift and we also pay for a holiday party.

this year our group wasn't invited to the network physician holiday brunch, classy.

I’m W2 and gave my scheduler, MA and front desk girl chic filet gift cards. I got the X-ray staff a bunch of bunt cakes. It’s funny though, every time I give staff gifts I have a few that are very appreciative and then I have a few that joke that I’m gonna need to give them a lot more next time for all the crap and crap patients they have to deal with

talking about bonuses.

This year, we are not doing any bonuses. We were not as profitable as previous years.

Also wanted to end the culture of bonuses. Very few employees are appreciative of the bonuses.

We will just be doing 2 pairs of scrubs and lunch.

In the past I have paid between $750 - $1000 per employee.

I agree that random acts of gifts are better than giving Christmas bonus.

Just checking what others are going to be doing this year.

talking about bonuses.

This year, we are not doing any bonuses. We were not as profitable as previous years.

Also wanted to end the culture of bonuses. Very few employees are appreciative of the bonuses.

We will just be doing 2 pairs of scrubs and lunch.

In the past I have paid between $750 - $1000 per employee.

I agree that random acts of gifts are better than giving Christmas bonus.

Just checking what others are going to be doing this year.

We are implementing austerity measures.

So, I think I came out a little ahead this year. Thanks to the PPP loan I was able to keep my staff paid during the shut down, cover expenses/rent and was allowed to apply about $8000 of it each month to my own salary (while I withheld my paycheck for 3 months). Then I got crazy busy with all the backlogged cases and people postponing surgery. I’m going to be extra generous this year to my staff because many of their partners were furloughed or have family who lost their jobs.

I realize the economic privilege comes from opening up after a month and the weird political tango the hospitals had with the Texas Governor about quieting the roar over ICU capacity so he wouldn’t order elective procedures cancelled.

Anyway, in addition to the $500 bonus I will probably be getting the Bose mini soundlink speakers since they seem to like mine.

No change for me - I looked back through this thread and my last comment I still had my student loan.

That thang gone now.

No change though - Both my MAs are getting cash around 500 each and I'm bringing them and the XRAY techs I work with to my house and I'm cooking for everyone.

No change for me - I looked back through this thread and my last comment I still had my student loan.

That thang gone now.

No change though - Both my MAs are getting cash around 500 each and I'm bringing them and the XRAY techs I work with to my house and I'm cooking for everyone.
You are joking, right?

This is the point in the thread where you fly off the handle.... but please tell me this is not your plan

Go on...

You are joking, right?

This is the point in the thread where you fly off the handle.... but please tell me this is not your plan
Although OP does work with them everyday...so it’s not that crazy.

LOL...You're absurd.

Look, im really not trying to virtue signal or shame you in any way. I just cant imagine even thinking that way right now. I cant imagine hosting a party. I really dont think im alone in thinking this way. It is definitely not 'absurd'.

No part of me cares about your opinion on this matter.

No part of me cares about your opinion on this the
clearly it does, b/c you keep responding.

unless everyone you are inviting has already had and got over covid, then it is completely irresponsible. or, if you plan to grill, and then set up 4 separate tables in the corners of your yard 20 feet away from each other while you eat. sounds like a hell of a party. love to come, but sorry, i have plans.

id imagine you already know everyone that your tech comes into contact with. that you already know your MA doesnt have any relatives with pre-existing conditions, rheum disease, chemotherapy meds.

why do you think we are in this complete clusterf@ck as a country right now? it is literally this type of thing. lets just hope you are really good at smoking a brisket

Although OP does work with them everyday...so it’s not that crazy.

not without masks. while eating. for extended periods of time.

the guano-filled outdoor patio with the swallows in the eaves is better than inside, but its chilly in december.

is this something you would offer right now?

That thang gone now.

with regards to what SSdoc33 said, in addition: are you that good of a cook?

if so, what cuisine is your "specialty"?

with regards to what SSdoc33 said, in addition: are you that good of a cook?

if so, what cuisine is your "specialty"?
Yes.

Smoked meats, Mexican street tacos, fried green tomatoes, low country boil, many things...

Attachments

• 20200406_190907.jpg
    20200406_190907.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20201003_183651.jpg
    20201003_183651.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200823_182828.jpg
    20200823_182828.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: 3 users
W-2 here. We are doing more of an appreciation, usually we would cater in a nice holiday party, but no dice this year. We also have had so much turnover and people in new roles that it has been challenging and stressful on everyone. We opted for $50 giftcards for the 18 people most involved with our department.

Reactions: 2 users
I have it on good authority that the Ted Drewes on South Grand is closing and they are turning it into a Starbucks.
Now that is something to be worried about. 2020 for the win if that happens.

W-2 here. We are doing more of an appreciation, usually we would cater in a nice holiday party, but no dice this year. We also have had so much turnover and people in new roles that it has been challenging and stressful on everyone. We opted for $50 giftcards for the 18 people most involved with our department.

Starbuck's cards are also appreciated. That's what we're going. Everyone worked exceptionally hard this year--Go grab a coffee on us!

A lot of turnover. Probably just buy them lunch and get the 4 who made it through the year some cash. W2.

Laird Superfood coffee

Whole bean Blue Mountain freshly ground and brewed in a French Press is really the only civilized drink.

There is a special place in my heart for Monster Java energy drinks, though. That stuff was my spice melange throughout training.

Nothing say, "Thank you," like a good cup of coffee!

well, i was hoping for a 5K to pay my rent and kid's school, but this $25 starbucks gift card is almost as good

Whole bean Blue Mountain freshly ground and brewed in a French Press is really the only civilized drink.

There is a special place in my heart for Monster Java energy drinks, though. That stuff was my spice melange throughout training.

New October 2021 release date is bullsh$t. i was hoping someone would finally make a Dune movie worth watching.