How much would this affect my chances of getting Cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaxInterna

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I miss the forums and I haven't been around for a while. At any rate, I was shocked today to find out that I had done relatively poorly on my step 2 ck ( I went down from 250(99) on my step 1 to 221 (90). Unfortunately, the day I took my step 2 ck, I was lost for an hour and a half, arrived late at the test center, and was in a very bad shape. I was wondering if this unfortunate turn of events could affect me negatively in terms of applying for a cards fellowship in the future. I had done some basic science research in cards between 1st and 2nd years, and hopefully will be involved with a paper in clinical cardiology soon. What impact do you guys think this low score will have on my chances in the future? Your feedback is much appreciated...Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I guess to better state the question: how much of a role do step 2 scores play in your fellowship application...any feedback is appreciated since I feel like crap. Thanks.

PaxInterna said:
I guess to better state the question: how much of a role do step 2 scores play in your fellowship application...any feedback is appreciated since I feel like crap. Thanks.
i dont think, as long as its not the top institutions, the steps count much really at all. at least thats what i was told by a friend of mine who is doing cardio now. his scores are much less than yours. But he said the LORs, the work you do in residency and Research, matter more. he said the steps only matter for the residency mainly not the fellowships. But i dont know i would ask other people as well as thats one opinion that i know of.

bafootchi said:
i dont think, as long as its not the top institutions, the steps count much really at all. at least thats what i was told by a friend of mine who is doing cardio now. his scores are much less than yours. But he said the LORs, the work you do in residency and Research, matter more. he said the steps only matter for the residency mainly not the fellowships. But i dont know i would ask other people as well as thats one opinion that i know of.

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to ask a couple of fellows in my school as well about this situtation. The reason I asked in the first place is because I heard that Step 2 are somewhat important in the fellowship application process... :confused: