How much would Spanish look favorably to med school or BS/MD programs?

bluewind751

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student in high school and I was wondering whether AP Spanish would be a necessary class for BS/MD programs. Would this benefit my application significantly or not really?

Members don't see this ad.

Any AP classes that you can do well in look good.

If you take take AP spanish and can get A's and a 3/4/5 on the AP then go for it.

If you take AP spanish and are getting C's and know you will get a 2/1 on the AP then better not to take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are fluent in Spanish you can apply to the Puerto Rican medical schools also. They are LCME-accredited programs.

You did not just recommend that the OP apply straight to Caribbean medical schools off the bat...:rolleyes:

OP, foreign MD programs should be applied to as a last resort.

I really hope you are joking...is my sarcasm detector broken today?

On the off chance you aren't joking...

Puerto Rico is a US territory. The four medical schools I listed in my previous reply are considered American medical schools, NOT "Caribbean medical schools".

agree with the poster above. people learn before making any statement:rolleyes:

While Puerto Rico may be considered a U.S. school, it's still located in the Caribbean and really isn't on the same level as schools in the contiguous U.S.. Average MCAT scores are ~10 points below the U.S. average, and the GPA is ~0.5 lower than the U.S. average.

While Puerto Rico may be considered a U.S. school, it's still located in the Caribbean and really isn't on the same level as schools in the contiguous U.S.. Average MCAT scores are ~10 points below the U.S. average, and the GPA is ~0.5 lower than the U.S. average.

The above is basically what I was getting at, and the OP doesn't need to be setting him/herself up for more trouble than it's worth merely because he/she can speak Spanish well.

people learn before making any statement:rolleyes:

Well then...you should probably get on that.

foreign language is a req for college so yes would need it for a bs/md program. would it help your chances no.

Being able to speak Spanish is extremely helpful in medicine and allows you to better communicate with patients (rather than using the time consuming interpreter services.) Now AP Spanish will help you if you do well in it and do well on the AP exam. I would encourage you to continue developing your spanish skills while in college because trust me, it comes in handy, especially in California.

You have a good point but I think your GPA numbers are exaggerated.
From 2008-2009 AAMC Data:
(Reproduced here)

Ponce School of Medicine
Avg GPA 3.57
Avg Science GPA 3.46
Avg MCAT 7.3M

Universidad Central Del Caribe
Avg GPA 3.38
Avg Science GPA 3.15
Avg MCAT 6.7M

University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine
Avg GPA 3.76
Avg Science GPA 3.69
Avg MCAT 7.3M

When quoting numbers, you have to keep in mind the student population...a Puerto Rican school is going to have an overwhelming majority of native Spanish speakers -- largely underrepresented minorities in Medicine -- and it's well-established that accepted URMs tend to have lower GPA/MCAT scores than other groups. For comparison, I included two stateside schools which are a majority African-American (but do have a sizable number of non-AA students, which skews the numbers upwards). The numbers are not that far off, though.

Howard University
Avg GPA 3.38
Avg Science GPA 3.24
Avg MCAT 8.3O

Morehouse School of Medicine
Avg GPA 3.46
Avg Science GPA 3.31
Avg MCAT 8.7O

The above is basically what I was getting at, and the OP doesn't need to be setting him/herself up for more trouble than it's worth merely because he/she can speak Spanish well.

We know what you were getting at. Maybe geography should be a pre-med requisite. ;)
Here is Ponce's match list, which is satisfactory for a lower-tier MD program.
If the students are considered American medical graduates and obviously are matching for good residencies, where is the "more trouble than its worth" you're talking about? No where did I suggest that the OP should exclusively apply to these schools. I only brought up the point that its an option for people who speak Spanish well.

I am a student in high school and I was wondering whether AP Spanish would be a necessary class for BS/MD programs. Would this benefit my application significantly or not really?

If you took other APs, it really would not stand out. If you can breeze past it without any effort then go for it, if you are making sacrifices for it then I would say its not worth it. Yes, having a "second" language down looks good...for maybe jobs and stuff, but as far as college apps go they aren't considered a priority. As for graduate apps, they wouldn't accept AP scores...you'd need to take the class in undergrad.