How much will a "D" affect me??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tedrik

mifune
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the final quarter of my senior year (just about one month ago) I got a zero on my final exam because I played games on my cell phone after I completed the test. I finished the thing about 20 minutes early and we weren't allowed to leave early so of course I had to do something to pass the time.

The reason I'm posting this is because the professor agreed to write a letter in my support stating that I got a "D" in the class because I used my cell phone, not because I did poorly and not because I was cheating (the TA saw it was just a game). She said she would send it to any of the schools that I am applying too, but I was wondering if this would just waste the time of adcomms. I am already submitting 6 letters and this extra one would stick out like a sore thumb. This was just a 1.5 unit physics lab and I got an "A" in the lecture portion.

Sorry for the long post, but I would like to hear your opinions about whether or not to submit this extra letter.

Thanks in advance :(

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: :rolleyes: <----- this is what the adcomm is going to think of your little "mishap".

but all joking aside, your D is going to stick out like a sore thumb on your transcript anyway so you need to get a rec from the prof explaining all circumstances that lead to the failing grade in her course. Just ask your prof not to write something like: "tedrik got a D in physics 201 because he played video games on his cell phone". the adcomm will get a good laugh out of that and will think you are childish and immature. as a result you will probably not get interviews from the places you should have gotten. instead ask her to write that you had violated a policy that pertained to neither cheating nor overall poor performance.

when you're being interviewed, tell the interviewer exactly what had happened and make sure you have a serious look on your face as that would convey to the interviewer that this shouldn't be taken as a laughing matter.

however, expect the worst...expect to get wait-listed at the places where you should have gotten in.

best of luck.

Why didn't the professor take away the big fat 0 on your final if everything *WAS* cleared up?

You are better off going to the academic council of your university/college to remove that D than trying to explain to the world why you got a D.

Members don't see this ad :)
tofurious said:
Why didn't the professor take away the big fat 0 on your final if everything *WAS* cleared up?

You are better off going to the academic council of your university/college to remove that D than trying to explain to the world why you got a D.
I've tried everything to get my grade changed, but there was a huge problem with this course this quarter and around 30 people failed. There was a lot of cheating, but there was also a lot of innocent people that failed as well. For instance, if your lab partner plagiarized a lab report, then you and your partner fail the entire course.

The administration says that the prof may have "hardened nerves" because of all the other stuff that happened in the course, so this may explain why she is not going to help me out. She considered changing my grade after I told her about my MSTP plans and all of that, but later decided to keep my grade as it was because I wasn't the only one who got this punishment.

While I'm at it, my grades all improved since freshman year and I consistently got A's from sophomore year on...so will this one (1.5 unit) lab really make that big of a difference??

Thanks again!

if it's a premed course, yes it does make a big difference regardless of the credit units. you have to accept the fact that the adcom isn't going to overlook a D in any course. You might get away with a C- but definitely not a D.

it's in your best interest to get a rec from the prof so that she could explain to the adcom that this was not an isolated case and that your were an innocent bystander who got victimized by the zero tolerance course policy.

Blargh, if you were cleared of any academic misconduct, retake the course, make a high grade, and then tell your amusing story to the interviewer. :D Pain in the butt, but better not to get cut off for secondaries or interviews.

Yours,