Employment & Professional Networking How much was your first year's salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

affa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like because we are going into a helping profession we are not encouraged to talk about money! That's silly. It shouldn't be this difficult to find out how much we can expect to make… or even to bargain for! Most of us took out huge amounts of loans, and I know I have lost sleep worrying about them.

1. What year did you start?
  2. First year's salary?
  3. If applicable, what your salary was after 5 years?
  4. What was the setting?
  5. Where was it? (city, state; urban v. rural)
  6. Did you bargain or get any special perks?
  7. Any advice? What can we learn from your mistakes or great ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

A professor at my school used to do new grad hiring at a large rehab hospital in Philadelphia. She said she offered ~70K.

A professor at my school used to do new grad hiring at a large rehab hospital in Philadelphia. She said she offered ~70K.

I'm about to start OT School in the Philly area and work as a rehab aide in an outpatient clinic here, $65-70k starting salary seems right on par with what I've heard too. Of course this still could vary by setting, with SNF being higher and pediatric/school-based being lower. Though I'm not sure what the usual peds starting salary around Philly would be, I've heard peds is always lower because insurance companies reimburse less for children (which I don't really understand). This thread is a nice idea! :) Thanks affa.