How much time do you devote to Dschool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many hours does Dschool take out of you in a week (class and studying)?

• 40 hours

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • 60 hours

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • 80 hours

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 100+ hours

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

UMDeeMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I caught some Dr.Phil the other day (i know, everyone rip into me) and he stated an interesting fact. He said medical students in their first year on average spend 77 hours a week either in class or studying and that number increases the following years. i was curious as to what you all think the average is for dental students. i'll make a poll, but give me you replies/insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I will say that I find that 77 hour figure to be full of baloney. One aspect of medical school curriculums that has changed drastically over the years is the amount of time spent in class. Students used to spend the traditional 40-hours in class for didactic lecture. Now, many schools have split schedules with students attending class from 8-12 on M, W, F and then 8-2 on T, TH--or some variation thereon.

Dental schools, however, have been slow to grasp the fact that a greater number of lecture hours doesn't directly equate with students knowing more or doing better on exams.

Sure, not all medical schools have curriculums like that, but many do.

The 1st year med students that I know average 20 hours of lecture a week and study for another 20 on top of that. I'm not saying that there aren't students who do 77 hours, but I think it's pretty unlikely. Especially since the good Dr. lists this as an average. I think it's probably very much so on the high end of hours put in during the first year.

I chose 60 hours for the poll simply becuase I'm at school M-F from 8-5 (which is 40 hours), and then I study an additional 2-3 each night on top of that. Because dental school curriculums are very traditional when compared with our medical counterparts, the winner of the poll should be somewhere between 40-60 hours. Most of us are spending 40 hours in class each week, and additional studying is thrown on top of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
aphistis - yes, i was hoping individuals would reply with their own experience in class and studying.

Dental school can be different from school to school, and from quarter to quarter. Last quarter, I had 3 lab class, so I spent on average 5hrs out of class time to practice on my own. Sometimes more than that if I have test cases. Then, I usually study at least 4 hrs every evening. And 8hrs/day during weekend. So, I think the average 77hrs that Dr. Phil mentioned was right. However, since med schools don't have lab like dent, I'm not sure if med students study that much. I have lots of med students neighbor, and I think their first two years are not as bad as dental

Next quarter, I'll only have two lab class, with the wax up is gone for good, now we have only crown, and restorative classes. Which are not gonna be easy. There will be more time for other classes. Which is great.