How much salary does an associate Dentist earn on AVERAGE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys! I am just wondering how much does an associate Dentist earn on AVERAGE per yr????? Any estimate? Thanx!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two brothers and one just graduated D-school. He has a job in FL where he gets paid a min $300 a day. I do not know the percentages for production, but last week his pay check was $2000 before taxes. So min he makes his $300 a day and from there depends on his skill and speed. He works 45 hours a week now

dental2008 said:
I have two brothers and one just graduated D-school. He has a job in FL where he gets paid a min $300 a day. I do not know the percentages for production, but last week his pay check was $2000 before taxes. So min he makes his $300 a day and from there depends on his skill and speed. He works 45 hours a week now

Not too great. That 2k before taxes = $1500 after taxes. :(

ItsGavinC said:
Not too great. That 2k before taxes = $1500 after taxes. :(

Thats a whole lot better than 30k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't waste my time with dental school to make that. I could work my way up flipping burgers and have a lot less stress than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

c132 said:
Thats a whole lot better than 30k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, those comments were sarcastic ones because somebody inquires about associate salaries every other day around here, without bothering to do a search or look at past threads.

Just less than 2 weeks ago we had a couple of excellent threads about associate salaries, and they included posts from dentists who have been practicing 5+ years and have hired their own associates. Very good information.

hey gav what is the link to that forum? sorry i am being lazy... just thought it would be cool to get some more motivation since part 1 is done. later.

search7.gif

;)
(kidding)

Associate general dentists I know of in NC, OH, UT, CA and NY (how's that for a diverse sample) make between $60,000-140,000...depends on the state and location. And a lot depends on who you sign on with, and if you have the potential to buy into the practice at a later time.

I also know of endo associateships beginning at $350,000 (if you want to practice in NV)...but don't all rush out to do endo!

jpollei said:
Associate general dentists I know of in NC, OH, UT, CA and NY (how's that for a diverse sample) make between $60,000-140,000...depends on the state and location. And a lot depends on who you sign on with, and if you have the potential to buy into the practice at a later time.

I also know of endo associateships beginning at $350,000 (if you want to practice in NV)...but don't all rush out to do endo!

Wow.. that sounds extremely high, since many practice owners don't take home that much. What's the catch?

Generally, I think a percentage is a great way.
If the practice owner is very generour/far-thinking (or naive??), I think it's more fair to put them on a guaranteed salary, since it can be stressful to push yourself so hard if its collections based. THEN transition them (after a year or few) to a percentage.

$30,000 a year was the rate in this area 7-10 years ago, but not anymore.
The hygienists in the area are making $40-45 per hour (quick math: $80,000 - 90,000 per year for Full Time). Associates now are pulling in similar ranges, but their salaries do increase and far surpass the hygienists, of course. (See my other thread on associate's pay)

After a year or two, good associates should be making $120,000 - 180,000, but that's collections based w/ some lab fees deducted from the collections figure, before the take home percentage (35-40%) is applied.

In reply to minpark2000's latest post, there's a sticky posted by GavinC at the top of the forum listing of topics that contains the most recently released ADA salary info...with general dentist's making in the ballpark of $175,000/year. So that would be above the associate amounts I listed. Besides, that ADA report is an average; usually the dentists willing to hire associates are busy enough and have a large enough practice (thus needing an associate or two) that they make more than the average. Perhaps that's why these associates I know make what they do. No catch.

A popular payment structure I am seeing aong newdentists I know who are associates will have a base salary of anywhere from $60-100,000 and then a percentage of production on top of that. In this respect a dentist isn't losing out on a new practitioner still getting up to speed from a financial perspective. The new dentist also has motivation to work quickly and effectively, which is in the owner dentists best interest. So associateship agreements can be set up in a way that mutually benefits both parties.

I agree with the "after a year or two" figures as well.