how much organic chemistry is actually needed in Optometry School ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apple_Pie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

can any one tell me how much organic chemistry is actually used in optometry schools ?

I am guessing optometry schools mostly teach biology and physics(mostly optics).

Members don't see this ad.

You can find the curriculum at almost any of the optometry school websites. I don't think you'll find a lot of specific organic chem in any of the medical profession programs. Optometry does have quite a bit of biology and physics. Things such as anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology and all that good stuff are there to look forward to.

You can find the curriculum at almost any of the optometry school websites. I don't think you'll find a lot of specific organic chem in any of the medical profession programs. Optometry does have quite a bit of biology and physics. Things such as anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology and all that good stuff are there to look forward to.

How much orgo chem did I use in Opt school: Zero. How much have I used since I graduated: Zero.

Its a great class though, because it assess's your ability to reason and problem solve. Its a core class for evaluation for medical schools to see how you analyze problems. Best of luck if your going through that now.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much orgo chem did I use in Opt school: Zero. How much have I used since I graduated: Zero.

Its a great class though, because it assess's your ability to reason and problem solve. Its a core class for evaluation for medical schools to see how you analyze problems. Best of luck if your going through that now.

you are the man. lol. well said. I do not like Organic Chemistry whatsoever. However, I do find it testing my abilities to critically think. But yeah, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the profession. I mean are you seriously going to need to know the IUPAC when diagnosing someone or treating someone's eyes? I even heard from a Pharmacist that he does not use the Organic Chemistry that he studied in Undergrads.

On the brighter side, I believe being well-balanced in different areas outside of your field is also a good thing to have.

What has been said is correct. I have not used any Ochem in OD school. I have used some of its general concepts in regular life though...I'm a dork that way. But, Ryan_Eyeball is right, they use it to see if you can cut it. If you can't cut one hard class, there is no way you can handle the material load they are going to through at you.

What has been said is correct. I have not used any Ochem in OD school. I have used some of its general concepts in regular life though...I'm a dork that way. But, Ryan_Eyeball is right, they use it to see if you can cut it. If you can't cut one hard class, there is no way you can handle the material load they are going to through at you.

I'm not so sure I completely agree. Yes, it is true that virtually no organic chemistry is required for an OD to engage in day to day clinical practice. However, a good foundation in organic chemistry allows a much better understanding of drug mechanisms and eye physiology which is vital for those pursuing research. Keep in mind that while it is true that most students ultimately end up in clinical practice, OD schools are not just there to crank out clinicians. THey are also there to help advance basic and clinical sciences and to produce some of the researchers that will help discover that new knowledge.

I guess I'm the only nerd who likes to pull out those little papers folded 100x in the drug bottles and read the mechanisms of action of the stuff we write for. :oops:

But, no.. I have no working knowledge anymore of what a Grignard reagent does.

I thought the correct answer to this question is that we take even more O Chem courses in optometry school. In fact we take O Chem with the pharmacy students and the med students. That's why we are qualified to perform brain surgery.:laugh:

In reality, O Chem is not something I used very much in optometry school and I use it even less in practice. I do agree with Ken regarding why it is an important pre-req, and you can impress your friends at parties when you pull out that insert folded 100x just like CPW.;)

I'm not so sure I completely agree. Yes, it is true that virtually no organic chemistry is required for an OD to engage in day to day clinical practice. However, a good foundation in organic chemistry allows a much better understanding of drug mechanisms and eye physiology which is vital for those pursuing research. Keep in mind that while it is true that most students ultimately end up in clinical practice, OD schools are not just there to crank out clinicians. THey are also there to help advance basic and clinical sciences and to produce some of the researchers that will help discover that new knowledge.

I'm sorry I have to: Some OD schools are there to only crank out clinicians and collect tuition. Others give back to the scientific community :D.