How much is enough? (motivation, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closertofine

Emerging from hibernation
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got back from hanging out with a 2nd yr med student friend (I just finished 1st yr), and his attitude/work ethic kind of freaked me out. I already knew he was a major perfectionist, and I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to make myself crazy like that.

I'll skip most of the details of his schedule and goals...except to say that while he's spending almost all day, every day studying (even on a summer weekend), I'm hanging out, surfing the web, everything but schoolwork.

So our conversation still brought up some doubts...such as, am I as motivated as I should be...or am I too lazy for this kind of career? I've been telling myself that I'm the more "normal" one for trying to live a more balanced life...but who knows? :confused:

I did pass almost everything this year (one exception, too complicated to explain), even with massive personal problems that (I guess) give me something of an excuse...but still, I don't think I'd ever reach his level of commitment.

I just had nothing to say in response to his talk about his plans to cover insane amounts of material in a short time, ace the boards, etc. I mean, of course I want to be a very competent, caring doctor eventually...but I can't even begin to care about stuff like that.

And I did use to be a perfectionist as a kid and teen...but at some point, gave it up, for what I thought were good reasons. This friend of mine laughed off my questions about burnout...maybe I'm just weak for being susceptible to that kind of thing?!

OK, enough of my self-doubting late-night ramble :p . But I've already had major questions about whether this is the right career for me...and this kind of thing makes me wonder too. I mean, I'm happy for a break on the weekends...but as he said, who needs a break if you love what you're doing?

:rolleyes: OK, so that sounds a little wrong. But anyone out there have any thoughts on this issue? Is it OK to have the attitude of "I'll do the best I reasonably can, while keeping a normal life, and that will just have to do"?

--From a "who cares"-minded 1st yr med student :oops:

Edit: I haven't read this forum in a while, so if a similar question has been asked and answered before, I apologize...

Members don't see this ad.

Just something to keep in mind....if he just finished his second year, I'm guessing his step 1 boards are coming up sometime within the next few months here. I'm sure all med students study A LOT more after their second year than after the first year because of that!

ambrosia said:
Just something to keep in mind....if he just finished his second year, I'm guessing his step 1 boards are coming up sometime within the next few months here. I'm sure all med students study A LOT more after their second year than after the first year because of that!
yes, I definitely understand that...he's not taking the boards until December, though...but I do expect to work a lot more in second year, and that doesn't bother me.

I just want someone to tell me if I do seem to have too laid-back of an attitude, if I'm being lazy. I think back to the MCAT, and I did study a good bit for that, but on my own and kind of in my own way (i.e. not all the time), and I ended up doing well...but I know that kind of style might not work in med school...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you made it through first year you have what it takes to make it through second. The game will change completely on the wards and you may like it or hate it. :)

quit dilly dallying and get to work. thousands of people would kill for a spot in med school. either crap or get off the pot- don't waste life second-guessing yourself.
PS: I want your studious friend to be my doctor.

Well, cliche, you only live once, and if not being the class all-star means happiness for you, then by all means, don't worry about it. Some people are better at, cliche, rolling with the punches and, cliche, going with the flow, which I think is a skill in it's own right. There is a place for the anal-retentive competitive types in the medical community, and there's also a place for more laid-back types of people as well.

I'd let you be my doctor...after I see your USMLE scores. :laugh:

ishaninatte said:
Well, cliche, you only live once, and if not being the class all-star means happiness for you, then by all means, don't worry about it. Some people are better at, cliche, rolling with the punches and, cliche, going with the flow, which I think is a skill in it's own right. There is a place for the anal-retentive competitive types in the medical community, and there's also a place for more laid-back types of people as well.

I'd let you be my doctor...after I see your USMLE scores. :laugh:

Not everyone is created equal, and some people need to spend more hours studying to get to the same point. If your friend is this type, that's great that he's doing what he needs to do to get by. Other people already may know where they want to end up (eg. a competitive specialty, or a very geographically specific residency) and are able to "cliche" :) keep their eyes on the prize, and that's great too. I'm not sure either of these former types are necessarilly what I would call anal retentive perfectionists (though they could be) -- just people who are trying to get from point A to point B.
Lots of people get to their own point B by different paths - and if yours is to be laid back and perhaps squeaking by, or maybe not shoot for eg. matching in derm in NYC, so be it.

Well, I guess I am becoming more like you and I used to be a super competitive student. Well, not like a cutthroat gunner sort of person. I would just compete with myself ("compare myself with myself"), I don't really like to get caught up with what other people are doing, etc.

But now that I am done with first year, I find that I have a less insane outlook and a more long-term one. I also want to do things with my friends and to renovate my old house (oh-my-Gosh! let me tell you how adicting its is to fix up an old house!! so much fun, I love it.)

I also work in my garden, and generally try and have a nice all around life. Am I still smart? I think so. Did I do well? well, after the second block when I finally decided: the h#ll with stupid grades and that honors cr@p. Yes, then I did really well third block. Funny how I really enjoyed it and did BETTER after I gave up fighting for number grades. Now I look at this experience as a once in a lifetime opportunity to learn how to be a good doctor. Wow!! So I study for what I feel is going to be important as a clinician. And I ask myself: do you feel like what you know is sufficient for being a good physician? if not, then I work more. If yes, then I move on to something else.

So, there's a place for every kind of student. I would let you be my doctor, and I bet the conversation would be really great. :)

First off, most people I know think 2nd year is more material, but much more doable since you kinda have it figured out already.

Don't feel bad for being chill. its a good thing, and will be an asset when you have to deal with future patients.

I mean there is only a certian amount of work anyone can do and still maintain their humanity........besides I know lots of people who study way too much and don't do so well. In the end be committed to being a compasionate physician and kind person, thats much more useful than a walking textbook (no knock on your friend, I am sure he is a nice guy). ;)

closertofine said:
I just got back from hanging out with a 2nd yr med student friend (I just finished 1st yr), and his attitude/work ethic kind of freaked me out. I already knew he was a major perfectionist, and I decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to make myself crazy like that.

I'll skip most of the details of his schedule and goals...except to say that while he's spending almost all day, every day studying (even on a summer weekend), I'm hanging out, surfing the web, everything but schoolwork.

So our conversation still brought up some doubts...such as, am I as motivated as I should be...or am I too lazy for this kind of career? I've been telling myself that I'm the more "normal" one for trying to live a more balanced life...but who knows? :confused:

I did pass almost everything this year (one exception, too complicated to explain), even with massive personal problems that (I guess) give me something of an excuse...but still, I don't think I'd ever reach his level of commitment.

I just had nothing to say in response to his talk about his plans to cover insane amounts of material in a short time, ace the boards, etc. I mean, of course I want to be a very competent, caring doctor eventually...but I can't even begin to care about stuff like that.

And I did use to be a perfectionist as a kid and teen...but at some point, gave it up, for what I thought were good reasons. This friend of mine laughed off my questions about burnout...maybe I'm just weak for being susceptible to that kind of thing?!

OK, enough of my self-doubting late-night ramble :p . But I've already had major questions about whether this is the right career for me...and this kind of thing makes me wonder too. I mean, I'm happy for a break on the weekends...but as he said, who needs a break if you love what you're doing?

:rolleyes: OK, so that sounds a little wrong. But anyone out there have any thoughts on this issue? Is it OK to have the attitude of "I'll do the best I reasonably can, while keeping a normal life, and that will just have to do"?

--From a "who cares"-minded 1st yr med student :oops:

Edit: I haven't read this forum in a while, so if a similar question has been asked and answered before, I apologize...

closertofine said:
...but as he said, who needs a break if you love what you're doing?

No matter how much you love what you are doing, there will always be little bits that annoy you (or that you flat out hate) that, over time, can build to burn-out if you don't learn to ease back. Don't worry if your personality doesn't match that of your friend; just do what is best for you and you will be fine. Also, I wonder how much your friend will like the wards if what he "loves" is to sit and study facts... :rolleyes:

closertofine said:
I just want someone to tell me if I do seem to have too laid-back of an attitude, if I'm being lazy. I think back to the MCAT, and I did study a good bit for that, but on my own and kind of in my own way (i.e. not all the time), and I ended up doing well...but I know that kind of style might not work in med school...

First off, don't listen to kwiggo.

Secondly, everyone is different and it's great if you are enjoying your free time in med school. It's the last time in your life for a while that you will be that free and relaxed. You've got third and fourth year ahead of you, not to mention at least three years of residency. Enjoy the slow pace while you can.

I don't think you are being lazy, but I'm just a pre-med, so what do I know? ;) You did well on the MCAT, you got into med school, and you made it through first year. Obviously you're good enough to be a doctor. So stop doubting yourself and live your life the way you want to.

I'm currently finishing up med2, and my friend who slacked off the summer between med1 and med2 is really regretting it now. She may have needed a few weeks off at the time for mental health reasons, but now that she's motivated to get a good residency and be a good applicant, she's realizing that she wasted that time and is troubled now because it's a lot harder to fit in research/extracurricular involvement starting med3 than it would have been back then. If you're aiming for a low-key residency like family practice where you won't have a problem matching, then enjoy summer. If you, even in the slightest thought in the back of your head, want to go into derm or other specialties that require something more than just passing most of your classes, kick it in gear.