How much health insurers pay for almost everything is about to go public...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pastafan

Interventional Pain Physician
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 3 users
Good or bad for us?
I say good for outpt docs, that is if you want more pts. Outpt solo practice guys are typically reimbursed at the lowest rates as there's little leverage when negotiating. Plus, there are no facility or HOPD fees to capture.

In reality, it probably won't have much of an impact as few people will take the time to shop around. The system will continue to be set up in a way that is confusing to most pts. I think it's kept this way purposefully.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Patients who pay for their health insurance and have good jobs often tell me, “that’s all that they pay you for that shot?”

Patients who don’t pay anything for their health insurance or medications often tell me “you make a fortune off these shots/copays.”

So it will all be relative and depends on SOS. Queue Abba.

Reactions: 8 users
Pro publica and Wall Street journal forced doctors’ Medicare salaries to be published. Did you see an effect? Likely not .

Th
Pro publica and Wall Street journal forced doctors’ Medicare salaries to be published. Did you see an effect? Likely not .
That’s different. Patients don’t really care to look those up, since it doesn’t affect their own bottom line. I’m not saying they would necessarily look up insurer negotiated prices but the odds are much higher. Patients tell me everyday how ridiculous the prices are for healthcare. It’s on everyone’s radar.

Furthermore, the Medicare data is more or less useless because it includes nonsense like drug reimbursement which means nothing in terms of what the docs actually take home. You’ll see oncologists and rheumatologists received $6-10M from Medicare but they take home a small fraction of that due to the cost of the drug.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the ones that win here are device industry as the business discussions are a lot easier when you can show the payments/reimbursements directly