How much GPA matters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks so much, junckt and mobius! I have another question: if you get, let's say ONE C or C- in a general science class, such as biology or chemistry or physics, but you finish off with a very high cumulative GPA and science GPA and a great MCAT score, will medical schools really care about that one C or C- freshman year, when they can clearly see you did very well in all of your upper level science classes and did wonderfully on MCATs. I'm asking because my chemisry proffessor (gen chem II) is insanely difficult and I'm just a little worried. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question as well: if you get, let's say an A in a general science class, such as biology or chemistry or physics, and you finish off with a very high cumulative GPA and science GPA and a great MCAT score, will medical schools really care that I had solid scores my freshman year? They can clearly see that I held down a solid four years of responsibility and that I did very well in all of my upper level science classes and did wonderfully on MCATs. I'm asking because my chemisry proffessor (gen chem II) is insanely difficult and I'm just a little worried, but I think I can pull through and try to get an A. Thank you!

This isn't like asking if you used to be a terrorist if you still have a shot at medical school...relax!!! Of course, a C or two, or even a handful isn't going to kill your chances provided you do well in the upper level classes and finish with an "academically competent" GPA. Don't worry about it, and just do your best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is something totally arbitrary I made up...I just think its a good rule of thumb. It has no factual base whatsoever but I think it makes sense..

GPA/ Needed MCAT

3.9-4.0 31+
3.7-3.9 32+
3.6-3.7 33+
3.5-3.7 34+
Under 3.5 35..might not even be enough imo

uhhh...no

can anyone please explain why Medical school is harder to get into than D.O.? If they learn practically the same thing, shouldn't both of them be equally competitive?
Check the Pre-Osteo forum for an answer. The stats gap is getting smaller all the time.

if you get, let's say ONE C or C- in a general science class, such as biology or chemistry or physics, but you finish off with a very high cumulative GPA and science GPA and a great MCAT score, will medical schools really care about that one C or C- freshman year
The answer varies by the school. One C probably won't hurt you at most schools if you later got an A in an upper-level course of that type, especially if your MCAT score proves you understood the material.

Last edited:
No. You send your transcripts to AMCAS and they re-enter your coursework into your AMCAS application. Adcoms can then see your entire chronology and your grades, but the GPA is re-calculated by AMCAS according to their protocols. Schools almost never take the time to re-re-calculate your GPA based on their own scale; they just use the scale and GPA calculations that AMCAS did.

Have you decided on a school yet?

if you get, let's say an A in a general science class, such as biology or chemistry or physics, and you finish off with a very high cumulative GPA and science GPA and a great MCAT score, will medical schools really care that I had solid scores my freshman year?
I'm not clear on the purpose of the question. Med schools like to see a consistent performer. They also like high GPAs. Some schools give less weight to the freshman year grades and others weight them equally. If you do well your freshman year you are more likely to have a higher overall GPA and be more competitive during your application cycle. If you get one B in a chemistry class, it only pulls you down a bit in terms of overall competitiveness. Just try your hardest and keep your GPA in a reasonably competitive range.

Thank you for replying. What about top tier schools, like Baylor or, dare I say, Hopkins?

Thank you for replying. What about top tier schools, like Baylor or, dare I say, Hopkins?
I could not be confident in saying that a C wouldn't matter with these schools, but I suspect that a few years of substantive research with publications would tip a decision in your favor, assuming the rest of your application is great. Maybe you could look on the school specific threads and check the MDAPPS of applicants who received acceptances there to get a better answer than I can provide.

Thank you for replying Mobius. My only question is: if you clearly have shown to them you know you stuff by acing your upper level science classes and doing very well on the MCATs, why should that one C from freshman year really matter? They can clearly see that even though you received a C, it didn't stop you from doing very well in everything else, such as MCATs and upper level sciences. Wouldn't they just assume that maybe the poor grade had something to do with your professor or a personal situation?

You are right that it shouldn't matter. I agree with you. Too bad we don't have an influence on how adcomms work. Some will make an assumption, some won't care, and some will ask at interviews. I suspect these latter ones may not really care either, but they just want to see what your answer is and how you handle criticism. If they really cared, they probably wouldn't invite you to an interview. It's good to have an answer prepared that shows you learned something from the situation, take responsibility for it, and how you changed so it won't happen again.

No. You send your transcripts to AMCAS and they re-enter your coursework into your AMCAS application. Adcoms can then see your entire chronology and your grades, but the GPA is re-calculated by AMCAS according to their protocols. Schools almost never take the time to re-re-calculate your GPA based on their own scale; they just use the scale and GPA calculations that AMCAS did.

I was searching different forum for some advice and answers and it seems like most people were saying that you gave them real good advice. So here goes. My gpa is 3.3, my mcat that i recently took is a 28P, which only went up one point from my previous one a year ago. I honestly felt like I did so much better but I guess you can never tell with this test. I have good enough EC's (working in the ER, 3 years of research, working on a publication, volunteering, etc...) I am applying this summer. Do you think I should take the MCAT ONCE AGAIN end of July? Would that be too late in terms of applying, as well as how much more of a difference will it make if i can actually get a anywhere between a 30-32??

Please give me some advice.

Ps, someone was mentioning you posted a verbal strategy and I can't seem to find it, so if you know might remember where it is, let me know. Thank you so very much

Members don't see this ad :)
3.9-4.0 31+
3.7-3.9 32+
3.6-3.7 33+
3.5-3.7 34+
Under 3.5 35..might not even be enough imo
This makes sense to me, but for top schools only and excluding URM status and amazing ECs.

what do you consider amazing ec's?
i think my ec's are pretty solid

do you have to have publications and a lot of research? i don't

I was searching different forum for some advice and answers and it seems like most people were saying that you gave them real good advice. So here goes. My gpa is 3.3, my mcat that i recently took is a 28P, which only went up one point from my previous one a year ago. I honestly felt like I did so much better but I guess you can never tell with this test. I have good enough EC's (working in the ER, 3 years of research, working on a publication, volunteering, etc...) I am applying this summer. Do you think I should take the MCAT ONCE AGAIN end of July? Would that be too late in terms of applying, as well as how much more of a difference will it make if i can actually get a anywhere between a 30-32??

Please give me some advice.

Ps, someone was mentioning you posted a verbal strategy and I can't seem to find it, so if you know might remember where it is, let me know. Thank you so very much

you need to take the mcat again.
according to lizzy m you need a lizzy score of 67 to be competitive
gpa*10 + mcat >67
so you'd need a 34

you need to take the mcat again.
according to lizzy m you need a lizzy score of 67 to be competitive
gpa*10 + mcat >67
so you'd need a 34

so you think taking it June 31 or mid-August would not be too late if I apply this summer?

thanks

No one will add points to your GPA no matter where you go. They WILL take points off if you go to a school where you can get over 4.0 (they do this at Oregon for example..so all A+ are seen as 4.0 on AMCAS rather than 4.3).

There are many factors concerning if you get in or not...and you have to have the whole package or even a 4.0 is worthless...but I would say GPA is the single most important part of the application (Princeton Review also says this).

However, without a strong mcat and EC's a great gpa is nothing..

well a 4.3 is restructured to 4.0, I don't think its really taking points away because an A and A+ would count as the same thing really (if you were to compare 2 applicants from the same school)

I don't think where you go to school matters THAT much. However, I have actually heard places like Pitt and Mich place a little emphasis

Well, the thing that is bothering me the most is...do they even care which university we came from or just our GPA, MCAT, and EC? B/c I know for a fact my university, University of Texas at Austin, permit retakes on courses but the highest I can get is the average of the two grades so an A + C will give me an average of a B...while a school like UTA (university of Texas at Arlington) would replace the C with an A... It makes me wonder if I am choosing the wrong school to become an M.D...

P.S. can anyone please explain why Medical school is harder to get into than D.O.? If they learn practically the same thing, shouldn't both of them be equally competitive? -Sorry if this has already been answered but I am a bit new to this network :oops:

First, if you retake a class, AMCAS counts the courses and the grades separately. So it won't make a difference.

Second, DO schools are med schools. I think they are easier to get into because of the lack of awareness by the general person.

if you think your GPA is lacking, go do an accelerated masters program and get a 4.0, then apply again. If you really want to be in medicine, an extra year or two of school shouldn't be a big deal. You will be a student for the rest of your life anyway.

That's a good point if the person have strong financial background, no? I am in the GPA lacking department and I was wondering what sorts of accelerated masters programs are out there that ties closely with medicine? I assume that getting a science masters is the only logical way to show that you are academically competent for med school?

What about a postbac program, do they weight as much as masters? Or couple of years working in a research lab? Would that help?

I have a friend who went to a fourth tier college, scored a 25 on her MCAT, but had a 4.0 GPA. She applied to 14 medical schools and got denied by all of them except........ Dartmouth. My jaw dropped when she got in. Her interview must have been stellar, but she is indeed a smart girl. She's now an MD and is a now a practicing ER physician. So, don't be discouraged, and just be confident, have a good story to tell and best wishes.:xf:

I have a friend who went to a fourth tier college, scored a 25 on her MCAT, but had a 4.0 GPA. She applied to 14 medical schools and got denied by all of them except........ Dartmouth. My jaw dropped when she got in. Her interview must have been stellar, but she is indeed a smart girl. She's now an MD and is a now a practicing ER physician. So, don't be discouraged, and just be confident, have a good story to tell and best wishes.:xf:

Sounds crazy, haha, yet wondrous.

No one will add points to your GPA no matter where you go. They WILL take points off if you go to a school where you can get over 4.0 (they do this at Oregon for example..so all A+ are seen as 4.0 on AMCAS rather than 4.3).

There are many factors concerning if you get in or not...and you have to have the whole package or even a 4.0 is worthless...but I would say GPA is the single most important part of the application (Princeton Review also says this).

However, without a strong mcat and EC's a great gpa is nothing..

That isn't true. There are schools that add points to GPA to weight schools. I mean I don't know how helpful it is since everyone is likely to get those points. I know those bonus points don't count towards their stats and such, but medical schools due weight schools too.

Like going to your big state university for four years isn't the same as going to tech for two years, then going to local no name school for the last two. If you go to a school known to be very hard, then you might get more credit.

It is just a way for schools to weight GPAs. MUSC in South Carolina does that with the GPA. That said, I don't see how it helps you much (only is going to hurt you if you went somewhere they think is sorry).

Confucius says:

go to the best schools, and take the easiest classes.

actually, just take the easiest classes! no matter where you are.

People used to tell me that taking harder classes would impress the adcoms. Bullsh.t.
This false notion has been propagated by generations upon generations of students. A "B" in advanced bio-whatever 301 is not gonna impress anyone.
The only thing it will do is lower your gpa.

Some adcoms will give you a bonus fraction of a GPA point for going to a top tier school. but don't count on it.

I couldn't have said it better myself. We do not look at or judge the difficulty of your courses, or even the year level at our school. As long as its a science course, and you get an A, thats all it matters!