How much for nannys/live-in care/au-pair..

bluealiendoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. Could use some advice. My spouse is currently in internship and I will be starting my internship July '09. Obviously we will need full-time help to care for our 3 year old at that time. What are some ways people out there have handled this? Cost? I can imagine it's a little scary to have a total stranger come and live at your house and take care of your child....we don't have any family nearby whatsoever and all of our friends are interns/residents as well. Just what kind of set up is available out there? I know there will be times when me and my spouse will be on call...or both of us working nights.....all day, etc...Anybody know how much we can expect to spend for someone who will live with us and handle daily household stuff? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps you and some other residents could share a "nanny pool" (2 or 3 nannies) as you are going to need flexible and extensive care.

Au pairs have limits on the number of hours they work and it may be best for your child to have some buddies so it is not just him and the nanny.

I'm not sure where you are so I can't say what's available, but I worked as a nanny (for two doctors!) so I have some experience.

I wasn't live-in though. I came 4 days per week for two children (age 4 and 8 months). I was paid hourly. I started at $13/hr for the first child, was given a raise after six months to $15/hr and when the second was born and I cared for both, I received $18/hr.

As for having a stranger care for your kids, well, everyone's a stranger at first. I was required to get a police check before I was hired and I had solid references in child care -- I think these are good standards to have when choosing someone.

There are nanny agencies. If there's not one locally, check the web!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some experience in this as I met my wife when she was here with an au pair exchange program. There are two big ones that work in the US and bring in au pairs from around the world-- Au Pair Care and Au Pair in America. I think you typically have to pay a few thousand dollars to join and then you pay $160/wk to your au pair and you have to supply them with a place to live, food, and transportation. They can work up to 45 hours a week I believe, but there is a lot of flexibility. It is actually a really good deal if you have more than one child. Your best bet would be to go to the different program's respective websites.

Make sure you look at the au pair option with eyes wide open. The positives are flexibility and relatively low cost. The negatives are lack of continuity (one year max, au pair may get home sick and leave after 2 weeks) and lack of maturity/culture shock. Work ethos may be very different in their home country than what you expect. You will essentially be parenting a teenager in addition to your little ones.

Ok. Could use some advice. My spouse is currently in internship and I will be starting my internship July '09. Obviously we will need full-time help to care for our 3 year old at that time. What are some ways people out there have handled this? Cost? I can imagine it's a little scary to have a total stranger come and live at your house and take care of your child....we don't have any family nearby whatsoever and all of our friends are interns/residents as well. Just what kind of set up is available out there? I know there will be times when me and my spouse will be on call...or both of us working nights.....all day, etc...Anybody know how much we can expect to spend for someone who will live with us and handle daily household stuff? Any ideas would be appreciated.

The cost often depends on where you are living. Ask other families out on the playground and read Craig's List ads for nannies to determine what a reasonable pay would be. A live-in situation would allow the most flexibility. There are plenty of excellent, well-qualified nannies out there who will be a great addition to your family! (I was one!) Go with an agency if it's in your budget and they can handle a lot of the searching, initial interviewing, and pay negotiations for you.