how much does your intern year matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I'm currently doing TY and going into derm next year. already I feel burnt out and really tired. do you guys know how much does your TY evals matter to your specialty program (ie does the program director actually look at your TY eval when you start your specialty training the next year)?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt it. As long as you pass your internship that is probably fine. Now if they are uniformly bad and your program director happens to look at them I suppose you could get a bad rep to start out with which would suck.

so I'm currently doing TY and going into derm next year. already I feel burnt out and really tired. do you guys know how much does your TY evals matter to your specialty program (ie does the program director actually look at your TY eval when you start your specialty training the next year)?

thanks

It won't matter, but I would caution that at it's core level, an intern year isn't really different in concept than any field -- you are evaluated on knowledge base, teamwork, diligence, able to keep attendings happy, working well with patients, etc. If you can't master this during intern year, where expectations of the TY guys are actually pretty low compared to the categoricals, you might not be on a trajectory to wow people during your advanced specialty, where the expectations will be higher. Most of the advanced programs like having an intern year because these serve to iron out a lot of these issues before you set foot in your advanced program. Make sure you aren't getting bad evaluations because of developing bad habits that will serve you poorly next year.

That being said, the second half of intern year flies by compared to the first half.

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks
No one ever asked for any of my IM evals when I started my derm residency...the only thing my program requested from my prelim year was a photocopy of my certificate of completion.

I also agree with everything Law2Doc already said.

No one ever asked for any of my IM evals when I started my derm residency...the only thing my program requested from my prelim year was a photocopy of my certificate of completion.

I also agree with everything Law2Doc already said.

TY programs are required to send semiannual (quarterly to anesthesia) evaluations to the future programs. This a pretty big deal for the ACGME.

TY programs are required to send semiannual (quarterly to anesthesia) evaluations to the future programs. This a pretty big deal for the ACGME.
Interesting. I didn't know that.

Is that true for prelim IM programs as well? Towards the very end of my prelim year, the program asked me where I was going for derm, because they needed it for their records. All of the other prelims were asked around the same time as well. I doubt there was any communication between by prelim program and my derm program before that point. And when I started my derm residency, like I said, the only thing the GME office and derm department requested was a copy of my certificate of completion.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

Is that true for prelim IM programs as well? Towards the very end of my prelim year, the program asked me where I was going for derm, because they needed it for their records. All of the other prelims were asked around the same time as well. I doubt there was any communication between by prelim program and my derm program before that point. And when I started my derm residency, like I said, the only thing the GME office and derm department requested was a copy of my certificate of completion.

This is likely because the program itself is sending the certificate while the GME office is forwarding the evals.

This is likely because the program itself is sending the certificate while the GME office is forwarding the evals.
Actually the GME office mailed me my certificate with some photocopies, which I personally then had to fax over to the GME office at my current program. Just saying...it doesn't sound like there was that much communication between the two programs (at least in my case).