How much does a teaching certificate matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choosehapiness

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out my rank list and there are a couple programs that I really like but do not offer a teaching certificate. I am wondering what a teaching certificate really does for you and how much it really boosts your CV if you don't have an interest in going into academia? It seems like the thing to do but I am wondering if I should let it affect my decision. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to figure out my rank list and there are a couple programs that I really like but do not offer a teaching certificate. I am wondering what a teaching certificate really does for you and how much it really boosts your CV if you don't have an interest in going into academia? It seems like the thing to do but I am wondering if I should let it affect my decision. Thanks!

I personally wouldn't let that really affect my ranking too much. I can't speak for the job market, but for finding a PGY2, not having a teaching certificate doesn't hinder you at all. You can complete a teaching certificate in your second year.

It doesn't matter for job search either. Of course as a P4 I didn't know whether it would matter or not, just like you. I asked a resident if he thought the certificate was important (his program didn't have it), he almost laughed at my question and said "oh that thing that you can just get any time? No it doesn't"

Now that I've been working for a few years, I can't see how getting a teaching certificate would help you do staffing or clinical work. I was never asked during any interview about it during job search, either

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not in academia, but no one has ever asked a single question about my teaching certificate. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The only time a teaching certificate ever helped me was for a job application where they asked for a teaching philosophy and I was like "oh wait I had to write one of those for the teaching certificate". However, although I didn't get that job (and actually now glad I didn't), I guess it actually never helped me. Don't let it affect your ranking.

My residency program has provided more teaching experience than my teaching certificate program. It is definitely not a make or break, and I think only one person brought it up on an interview out of 5 interviews. I would not rank programs based on a teaching certificate program, as they are not robust, to say the least. Residency is what you make it, you can create teaching experiences if you just talk to the right people. It honestly feels like a waste of time to be honest. I know 4 people who have dropped out of the teaching certificate program that multiple residents from different programs use.