How much does a high SMP gpa affect school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FinallyHereWeGo20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When creating a school list, I always include my state school and then sort private med schools by gpa. However, I’m at the lower end for most of them based on the undergrad gpa. What kind of schools am I more competitive for after taking the SMP into consideration? How much does it really help compensate?

I’m looking for more urban/suburban environments, ideally p/f preclinical but I’m not picky otherwise.

I have a 4.0 in my current SMP with only a few elective classes left.
My undergrad was a ~3.4 and science ~3.1. Out of school for 5 years.
MCAT 511
URM, disadvantaged, reapplicant

I have:
4000+ lab research with publications
2000+ Clinical Research but with direct patient contact
Good but not extraordinary LOR
A couple hundred non clinical volunteering
50+ ED/FM shadowing

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend the following:
OR H&S
UCLA/Drew
Meharry
Morehouse
Howard
Columbia
Case
Vandy
Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck
Temple
UCSF
EVMS
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
U VM
Miami
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
TCU/UNT
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NovaMD
NYU.LI
Any DO program. Include PacNW and both Westerns. I can't recommend LMU, ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if possible.

Reactions: 1 users
I recommend the following:
OR H&S
UCLA/Drew
Meharry
Morehouse
Howard
Columbia
Case
Vandy
Dartmouth
BU
Duke
Pitt
Mayo
Mt Sinai
Keck
Temple
UCSF
EVMS
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
U VM
Miami
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
TCU/UNT
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NovaMD
NYU.LI
Any DO program. Include PacNW and both Westerns. I can't recommend LMU, ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if possible.
Wow, thank you so much! There are quite a few schools I didn’t consider in the past so I will be sure to do further research into them! I appreciate your guidance.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, thank you so much! There are quite a few schools I didn’t consider in the past so I will be sure to do further research into them! I appreciate your guidance.
Goro's list is top tier. I had similar stats and applicant profile. Had tons of success with his list of schools

Reactions: 1 users