How much do you tip?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If federal minimum wage becomes $15, are we still expected to tip?

It’s been $15/hr since 2018 and yeah don’t be a d-bag, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s been $15/hr since 2018 and yeah don’t be a d-bag, lol.
No it hasn't:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If federal minimum wage becomes $15, are we still expected to tip?
Abolishing minimum wage exceptions would be a start, but in the first place I'd rather not put myself in a position to be socially obligated to tip

No it hasn't:

I assume you mean in California? Federal minimum is not close to that.

Not even close man. Min wage is $7.25 in NH.

Lol, pick your reply:

1) Oh, my bad, I forgot California tends to run years ahead of other states.

2) Oh, my bad, I forgot anything exists outside of my San Francisco/Silicon Valley bubble

(for the record, CA min wage went to $14/hr this year, San Francisco went to $15/hr in 2018, and San Jose in 2019)

Reactions: 1 users
Lol, pick your reply:

2) Oh, my bad, I forgot anything exists outside of my San Francisco/Silicon Valley bubble

(for the record, CA min wage went to $14/hr this year, San Francisco went to $15/hr in 2018, and San Jose in 2019)
So CA waiters get $15/hrs plus tips?

In SF and SJ, yes ($15.59 and $15.45 per hour, respectively, to be exact). $14/hr + tips statewide. Sunnyvale (next to SJ) is up to $16.30/hr. Flagstaff, AZ is up there too, but I don’t know if they can use tips to subsidize minimum wage...that’s illegal in CA.

Here’s a handy list:

Wow, why would anyone work in CVS as a tech when you can make the same wage plus tips as a server?

Working as a server while being exposed to degenerates eating out at restaurants flouting restrictions during the time of COVID. Depends on your flavor of risk

Working as a server while being exposed to degenerates eating out at restaurants flouting restrictions during the time of COVID. Depends on your flavor of risk

I meant when there's no pandemic.

Wow, why would anyone work in CVS as a tech when you can make the same wage plus tips as a server?

CVS was a lot easier as a tech, and benefits were better, granted I don’t know what benefits look like for bigger chains like Cheesecake Factory or Dave & Buster’s.

I had a coworker once that worked CVS for day shifts and then work at D&B at night on Friday/Saturday. My other friends who worked D&B exclusively part time were making about $60k/yr while in college working nights/weekends/private parties (more lucrative, better clientele, mostly because you’re less likely to be a dick when your CEO is there, and tip is flat/paid by the company).

Reactions: 1 user
Lol, pick your reply:

$15/hr is still poverty IMO. That's $2400 a month based on 40 hours of work per week. Can you really find a decent place to live in SoCal or SF for under $600 a month?

$15/hr is still poverty IMO. That's $2400 a month based on 40 hours of work per week. Can you really find a decent place to live in SoCal or SF for under $600 a month?

Yeah, it’s called five people in a two bedroom apartment with sheets/partitions to carve out the living room for the 5th person.

Loft beds make the dream work, hah.

• Haha
Yeah, it’s called five people in a two bedroom apartment with sheets/partitions to carve out the living room for the 5th person.

Loft beds make the dream work, hah.

How does someone bring a girl home living like that? LoL.

How does someone bring a girl home living like that? LoL.

Same as college dorm... I had a hockey mask that would go on the door knob. My friend used a stale bagel once in a pinch. I suppose we could have actually had actual DND door signs, but you make do with what you’ve got.

• Haha
If minimum wage is $15 wage exempt I won’t be tipping, unless great service. I also live in smaller town and don’t go to fancy restaurants.

Find a better job that pays more... than crying/begging for money... go to school, be a pharmacist, and be like all these rich pharmacist here who are posting so you can afford to tip big..