How much do you study during dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azcomdiddy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was making a bet with a friend. I'm under the impression that dental students study much harder than medical students particularly during your first two years. How do you cope with doing everything we do and then dental related courses too? You have my respect.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by azcomdiddy
I was making a bet with a friend. I'm under the impression that dental students study much harder than medical students particularly during your first two years. How do you cope with doing everything we do and then dental related courses too? You have my respect.
I'm hardly representative, but typically an hour a day or so.

Depending on the school, for some body systems we aren't responsible for the same level of neurotic detail meds are. The pre-clinical courses, though...yeah, those are a lot of work.

one hour only Bill?

you must have a very good memory.

Members don't see this ad :)
The day before tests maybe 2 days if it's a big test. I never bring my bag home at night and have not cracked a book since spring break.

Originally posted by PERFECT3435
one hour only Bill?

you must have a very good memory.

Perhaps, but methinks that Bill has his own set of priorities that he is very understanding of.

That is a MUST before starting dental school. Lay down your priorities and be very aware of what you need to do to acheive them.

I study 1-2 hours a day, and then 8-9 hours a day 2-3 days before the exam. This earns me a place in the middle of the class, which I am perfectly fine with.

My priorities are: family (wife and 2 kids), religion, school, recreation.

This study method fits ME.

Originally posted by azcomdiddy

Doing everything we do?!?! Dude, please tell me you are not a medical student........

Originally posted by Brachial_Plexus
Doing everything we do?!?! Dude, please tell me you are not a medical student........

My brother is an MD/DDS jackass. Hence the term 'Oral Surgeon.' Dental school is more difficult than medical school.

Originally posted by krull
My brother is an MD/DDS jackass. Hence the term 'Oral Surgeon.' Dental school is more difficult than medical school.
OMS licensure in no way implies a medical degree.

And now, I and countless others will watch as this becomes SDN's ten millionth "My program/degree/career is harder/more lucrative/more rewarding than yours!" "Nuh-uh, MINE is!" "Nuh-uh!" thread.

Hence the term "MD" aphistis. Don't be jealous of him since you are not smart enough to pull the grades to enter such a field.

Hence the term "MD" aphistis. Don't be jealous of him since you are not smart enough to pull the grades to enter such a field.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, or if you're really that convinced you need an MD to be an OMS. I'm hoping for your own sake that it's the former. You'd look pretty silly sporting this snide, contemptuous attitude on a subject you're so thoroughly misinformed about.

Before we side track too much, can students continue to comment on the orginal post?

thanks

abina81

Originally posted by aphistis
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, or if you're really that convinced you need an MD to be an OMS. I'm hoping for your own sake that it's the former. You'd look pretty silly sporting this snide, contemptuous attitude on a subject you're so thoroughly misinformed about.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i wasn't trying to be funny or anything when i implied that you guys must have a good memory.

seriously, many has me scared to death about how hard dental school will be and that i would have absolutely no time for anything else other than studying day and night.

i am really glad to hear it otherwise.
i too would love to have my family (fiance and daughter), religion (Lakers and Titans):laugh: , school, and fun in order.

i guess i'll find out how much studying i'll need pretty soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Brachial_Plexus

Brachial Plexus is right here guys. I don't know why you other dental students insist on scaring these up and coming freshmen. The only medical type classes dental students take are so watered down as to be unrecognizable. Biochem consists mostly of coloring photocopies of important molecules with a guaranteed C for staying in the lines. Most of gross anatomy is spent learning the "hipbone's connected to the leg bone" song. My favorite part is when we take turns doing the "Moses cried 'dem dry bones" part solo. (I haven't had a chance yet, but I know I'm gonna get to do it before the semester's over. ) Other classes are similarly weak.

Really, it's no mystery why dental students don't do much studying.

Originally posted by Dr.SpongeBobDDS
Brachial Plexus is right here guys. I don't know why you other dental students insist on scaring these up and coming freshmen. The only medical type classes dental students take are so watered down as to be unrecognizable. Biochem consists mostly of coloring photocopies of important molecules with a guaranteed C for staying in the lines. Most of gross anatomy is spent learning the "hipbone's connected to the leg bone" song. My favorite part is when we take turns doing the "Moses cried 'dem dry bones" part solo. (I haven't had a chance yet, but I know I'm gonna get to do it before the semester's over. ) Other classes are similarly weak.

Really, it's no mystery why dental students don't do much studying.

What a breath of fresh air in this stale forum..........

Finally, someone IN the profession has admitted the truth. No offense to the future dentists, as you chose this career for a reason. Everyone knows it is easier to become a dentist than a physician; there is no shame in this, guys!

Peace out

Listen carefully, idiot: spend a little more time with your brother! Not only will it foster a stronger family bond, but it will also be very educational for you. I'll give you a litttle knowledge now though:

You DO NOT need to be an M.D. to become an "oral surgeon". You become a DDS and obtain additional training, jackass. Get your facts straight before you make such ridiculous statements.

Oh yeah, the whole "dental school is more difficult than medical school" is simply too ridiculous to even reply too.

Krull, I really hope that you actually get a clue someday. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

I love getting under people's skin. I don't even have a brother

Originally posted by PERFECT3435
i wasn't trying to be funny or anything when i implied that you guys must have a good memory. seriously, many has me scared to death about how hard dental school will be and that i would have absolutely no time for anything else other than studying day and night.

Perfect. I think the dental school life would be much harder than the life in undergraduate. Except some people, most of the dental students I talked to in interviews or in the email told me dental schools are harder especially if you want to be specialized in the future.
I personally need a lot of time to study. I think I might need even more time in USC. So, if you think you need a lot of time to study, you are not alone.:cool:

Can you pass through dental school by just making D's and C's? Or will they give you the boot?

Originally posted by busupshot83
Can you pass through dental school by just making D's and C's? Or will they give you the boot?
Every school I'm familiar with (read: not that many) sets minimum grades at 70 or 75. The grading scale goes A/B/C/F, and anything above the F is fine.

So you need a 2.0 minimum to proceed?

Grettilin is right that dental school is harder than undergrad IF you want to specialize our care about grades. But to pass and become a general dentist it is MUCH easier than undergrad, it's just you spend more time each day at school(due to labs and what not)

That's the impression I've been getting from various people. Just be sure not to slack too much, I guess.