How much do you feel about covering for other residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asteroid Body

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a resident, I remember countless calls from my PD saying I needed to do 3x the expected amount of work for the day because someone called in sick, was on childcare leave, needed to take care of their children's daycare, or just had nonspecific reasons for calling off work. I had mixed thoughts about this. Sometimes it just seemed like they were too lazy to come into work.

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

As a resident, I remember countless calls from my PD saying I needed to do 3x the expected amount of work for the day because someone called in sick, was on childcare leave, needed to take care of their children's daycare, or just had nonspecific reasons for calling off work. I had mixed thoughts about this. Sometimes it just seemed like they were too lazy to come into work.

What are your thoughts?

I am 100% certain you’re not quite seeing it from the other person’s point of view. I am sure it has more to do than “they were too lazy to come to work” - those residents are quickly shown the door.

You have (had?) an opportunity to step up and be a team player. If you have to do it with some frequency, I am sure it will get noticed (unless you complain about it non-stop) which will help you when it comes time for fellowship/job apps. Residency is a finite amount of time - get through it and move on.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't do it if you can. They're taking advantage of you.
I covered for others at least 3-4 times and all of them gave excuses when they were asked to repay.
"I'm in clinic and they need me b/c there is only one fellow" Yeah, right.

If they're taking care of sick kids and all of their contingencies fell through, or they themselves are sick, then that's part of working in a field that requires teamwork--sometimes you have to pick up slack while someone takes care of their family. If they are actually just being lazy, then that's bad.

/thoughts. I can't imagine what other "thoughts" you imagined you were going to get.

Reactions: 3 users

What are your thoughts?

Honestly, it sounds like you're trolling. There's another popular thread on this topic about two posts down on the main page of the Gen Residency forum. Instead of contributing to that thread, you started a whole new thread on basically the same topic with a pretty good idea (based on that thread) of how it would go.

Reactions: 2 users

What are your thoughts?

Interesting math:

1 person calling out made you do 3x the work? That makes you lazy because that person is normally doing twice the amount of work you do.

I bet there is a thread out there "I called out sick 2 times and the laziest resident is now giving me **** about it"

Reactions: 1 user
Not socially acceptable to call out sick in most surgical specialties.

Status
Not open for further replies.