How much do pharmacists make in each respective fields?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how much a retail pharmacist make now a days compared to a clinical or research pharmacist, just out of school.

THanks for all the help~

Members don't see this ad.

In Arizona, community pharmacists seem to be making $39-$43 per hour. Seniority makes no difference in community pharmacy unless you are pharmacy manager (which has nothing necessarily to do with seniority). In Arizona - a new grad makes the same as someone who has been there for many years. I don't know how it differs from state to state.

Thats pretty much what i thought too, but one person I know said that she knew a friend who recently graduated with PharmD and is already making 150K right out of school. I dont remember if her friend was in retail or in research or clinical pharmacy or whatnot tho.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical science liaisons make upwards of 120K or so. Everybody else is pretty much in the 70-100K range out of school, depending on how much overtime you do, whether you work for the government and where you live in the US.

I suppose you could make 150K in retail if you worked a boatload of overtime and got a big sign-on bonus. I think Walgreens or Eckerd or somebody was giving away BMW 3-series cars as signing bonuses in Dallas. The sad thing is, they still couldn't get enough pharmacists. :laugh:

The UOP recruiter Cyndi Porter said that last year's graduates from their School of Pharmacy starting salary was $102,000-$115,000.

Does anyone know what the salary range is for professors of pharmacy and/or other academic positions?

Originally posted by michelleca4
The UOP recruiter Cyndi Porter said that last year's graduates from their School of Pharmacy starting salary was $102,000-$115,000.

yeah, but that's cali where everything is ridiculously expensive, and probably in the central area where no one wants to go

....and probably in the central area where no one wants to go

But imagine the size of the trailer you can get with that salary! You'll live like a king in Bakersfield with that kind of $$! ;)

Vons in Mammoth Lakes is offering a huge bonus and a salary in that range...but I don't know about living in an area where the closest place you can call "civilization" is Bishop. (No offense to any Owens Valley natives reading this post ;))

Money will always be important. I feel i m passionate about pharmacy....but if it paid 20K or something then I would look elsewhere....just how it is.

Exactly my thoughts, illusions. I am a wife, a mother of 4 children, going back to school after 20 years; as much as I am excited about the profession, I wouldn't do it if it did not pay well.

88K is this year's starting salary for kroger workers (in northwest Ohio)

Always remember to keep in perspective cost of living

In Florida, where we have an low cost of living and no state tax, retail pays anywhere from 85-90K. That is without overtime and without signing bonuses. I talked to a Kash & Karry (grocery store) pharmacist who made 150K last year. She is single and worked gobs of overtime.

Originally posted by michelleca4
If your passionate about pursuing pharmacy, then money shouldn't matter.

Yes I agree what others have said in response. Unfortunatly money is an important factor in choosing my career, however it is not at all the main reason why I am pursing it. I just want to be fully prepared and informed of what I am getting myself into. I am 24 years old and I am now about to risk a career change and devote 5 more years of my life going back to school and after all the time, hardwork, and student loans, im about to invest into this, i just want to make sure the payoff will be worth it. After all, I gotta be able to pay off my student loans somehow as well as support my family =)
I merely asked this question becuase I got confused becuase I have heard varying ranges of salary for Pharmacists and I just wanted to know for sure =)

Originally posted by azpremed
Does anyone know what the salary range is for professors of pharmacy and/or other academic positions?

Some of the Deans and "bigger" people at Philadelphia College of Pharmacy were topping out at $122,000 last year. These were mainly PharmD people who taught upper level and clinical stuff.

J

Exactly my thoughts, illusions. I am a wife, a mother of 4 children, going back to school after 20 years; as much as I am excited about the profession, I wouldn't do it if it did not pay well

ditto

I work for a biotechnology company in San Diego. I work with a Pharm D whose role is in Project Management. He manages the progression of our Investigational compound dealing with clinical research issues, manufacturing issues, regulatory issues, and overall project flow. He travels to all of the Conferences and Symposiums to stay abreast of recent findings in his therapeutic area. He makes around 160K or so...which is nice :thumbup:

You can go to www.salary.com and put in "pharmacist" profession along with the area you live and they'll bring up the salary ranges for your area. Pull up the "basic report" and that will give you an idea...you should be pleasantly surprised!!

Originally posted by illusions
Money will always be important. I feel i m passionate about pharmacy....but if it paid 20K or something then I would look elsewhere....just how it is.
Exactly. Once I graduate, I'll have to keep my husband in the style to which he's become accustomed. :p