How much can a Private Dentist Make?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of you bashing UCHSC DS are missing the point. Complaining about bringing in $90k or so right out of school is pretty arrogant. And going out and implying everyone goes into dentistry does it for the money is even worse. I'd gladly take my $60k salary I was making as an engineer as my salary as a dentist. I no longer have a cubicle, a boss, and all the other BS of corporate life. I was living more than ok on $60k; I only left for dentistry because it got rid of everything I hated about my current career. And I know I'm not alone out there.

It'd be different if we were talking about living below the poverty line after dental school, but we're not. We're talking about whether or not we can buy a benz right out of school or not. Give me a break!

Chase the dollar all you want, but don't assume everyone else does the same, and don't bash others for putting $ lower on their list of priorities.

nope. YOU are missing the point. if you were making that 60k engineer salary as a dentist you wouldn't be able to even pay your STUDENT LOANS! i have no problem with people balking at 90k jobs when they graduate. its not about being able to buy the benz or the mansion or even a deluxe apartment in the sky....take out the massive student loans that some of us have to, and then talk arrogant we are for wanting to barely support our family. 90k after taxes and insurance and fees gets really familiar to 60k, then you have 60k a year in loans to pay off! (if you want to pay off your loans in the next 10years!)

Members don't see this ad.

Those of you bashing UCHSC DS are missing the point. Complaining about bringing in $90k or so right out of school is pretty arrogant. And going out and implying everyone goes into dentistry does it for the money is even worse. I'd gladly take my $60k salary I was making as an engineer as my salary as a dentist. I no longer have a cubicle, a boss, and all the other BS of corporate life. I was living more than ok on $60k; I only left for dentistry because it got rid of everything I hated about my current career. And I know I'm not alone out there.

It'd be different if we were talking about living below the poverty line after dental school, but we're not. We're talking about whether or not we can buy a benz right out of school or not. Give me a break!

Chase the dollar all you want, but don't assume everyone else does the same, and don't bash others for putting $ lower on their list of priorities.

I don't mean this to you personally. But in general, I don't care how much you love teeth, there comes a point where the income has to justify the training it took to get there.

It would not be worth going into $250,000+ in debt to make only $60,000 a year, when there are a thousand other career paths many of which you can get with a fraction of debt or none at all.

Money isnt everything, but it is significant. (This is why there is a shortage of primary care physicans).

$90,000 is a good income, and even better when you compare it to how the rest of the world lives. No one is saying it's not a lot of money.

BUT when you factor in:

-taxes
-loans from the cost of education (including undergrad)
-malpractice insurance
-professional association fees
-disability insurance
-health insurance
-costs to start up your own practice.
-savings for retirement
-buying a house
-starting a family

(I didn't even list living expenses)

That amazing $90,000 becomes $0 very quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
No no no! I was responding to those with the "how can I ever get that 8000 sq ft home that I so deserve for all that hard work in dental school that makes me so much better than everyone else?" attitude right out of school. That $90k everyone thinks is a joke works out to at least $3000/mo after taxes and loans (assuming you're not trying to pay off your loans asap), so that's what I was referring to when I said living comfortably on $60k (I was taking home $3000/mo after tax, ins, and 401k contribution). If $3000 a month is something so scoff at, well, to each their own. For me, it's plenty.

And I'm not denying there is a certain income level needed to live, but don't assume it's the same for everybody! There is a difference between complaining about making ends meet and complaining about not being able to make that benz payment--especially right out of d-school!
$90k annualy is more than enough to provide for most people (even with a loan payment!) If you say "well, I deserve the big bucks because I worked hard, and I could've just gone and taken a 'lesser' career for that salary," you're basically implying the ONLY reason you're doing this is to make a lot of money. If that's the case, fine, but don't make a blanket statement and assume everyone else is drinking your brand of koolade.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously? Did u really just make that statement? If you count all the energy expended + stress output to get to where most Dentists are at, its a lot less than just " x amount above the average". The average person doesnt go through as much to be at where they are at career-wise.

Also, if everyone had that type of mindset there would be MUCH less "successful" people in this world. Like it or not, money is the drive for most "successful" people. IF no one worried about money, things would be very different(i.e. less technologically advanced, etc.) Yea many of the advancements today are based off of people loving what they do and being interested in furthering their field, but a lot of the real drive for most is having some type of "well-off" financial security at the end of the day.

Just my 2 cents at least;)

Boo ****ing hoo. Studying is about the least energy spending thing you can do. Tell that to the construction workers slaving away making minimum wage. I bet they think they deserve more money because they work so hard too.

Boo ****ing hoo. Studying is about the least energy spending thing you can do. Tell that to the construction workers slaving away making minimum wage. I bet they think they deserve more money because they work so hard too.

Dude shut up.

Yea i bet you never bitched about school work, huh?

And your comparing apples and oranges, they are two completely different things. If you were a little brighter you would of understood that. I would continue my 'argument' for my point of view, but with someone as stupid as you it wouldn't be worth it.

The difference is, they aren't PAYING $150,000+ to study so hard- they are MAKING $40,000-$50,000 for their work...They generally don't make minimum wage btw...

When it comes to jobs, generally the more "skilled" the position, the higher the pay. Working in half millimeters with irreplaceable enamel takes some skill, but driving a truck around the worksite or pouring concrete takes considerably less. Trust me, I HAVE done lots of construction in my life.

I dont think I've ever met a construction worker who made minimum wage...

I dont think I've ever met a construction worker who made minimum wage...

Ive met plenty that drink on the job, take 5 to 6 smoke breaks a day,or just plain dont show up for work.

Otherwise, I love construction workers.

Dude shut up.

Yea i bet you never bitched about school work, huh?

And your comparing apples and oranges, they are two completely different things. If you were a little brighter you would of understood that. I would continue my 'argument' for my point of view, but with someone as stupid as you it wouldn't be worth it.

I've bitched about school work but that doesn't mean you're somehow entitled to money. No one forced you to go into school and study so stfu. If dentists are entitled to lots of money because they study a lot how much do PhD's deserve to make?

Of course construction workers and dentists are different. But what you were talking about was "energy expended and stress output" which is a joke.

Last edited:
Complaining about bringing in $90k or so right out of school is pretty arrogant. /QUOTE]

I thought the same thing before I graduated D-school. Now that I've been practicing for seven months I would be so upset if I was only making 90K. Not because of how much my school cost or because I want more toys but because I know what a dentist in my area is capable of making and its much more than 90K. So for me to only make 90K even right out of school would be completely unacceptable because that would mean that there is something wrong with me.

Complaining about bringing in $90k or so right out of school is pretty arrogant. /QUOTE]

I thought the same thing before I graduated D-school. Now that I've been practicing for seven months I would be so upset if I was only making 90K. Not because of how much my school cost or because I want more toys but because I know what a dentist in my area is capable of making and its much more than 90K. So for me to only make 90K even right out of school would be completely unacceptable because that would mean that there is something wrong with me.

In your experienced opinion, what should a new graduate expect to make year 1, and how much of an increase year 2.
Thank you

This crap needs to get moved to Pre-Dental w/ all these "knowledgeable" students chiming in. Youngins, get yourselves a couple 100 grand in debt before you talk about enough money. Even some of the old timers need to remember that 4 years of your 1972 tuition hardly covers one of our years.

Members don't see this ad :)
This crap needs to get moved to Pre-Dental w/ all these "knowledgeable" students chiming in. Youngins, get yourselves a couple 100 grand in debt before you talk about enough money. Even some of the old timers need to remember that 4 years of your 1972 tuition hardly covers one of our years.

My undergrad did cost over $100k, and I've worked in the professional world for over 6 years. I've had experience earning a significant income, balancing student loans, and having a life. I'm pretty sure that allows me to chime in, especially over someone that hasn't even gotten out of school yet and stepped into the real world. To think that only a dentist (or dental student in your case) can speak about income and dealing with monthly student loan payments is absurd. This isn't rocket science.

Do you guys know how much the "moonlighters" make a day? I know it really depends on the location. What could be the general range, from city to suburb to rural? I heard you get $700-$1200 a day, but that means you work just 2 days a week and break 6 figures --> sounds too good to be true!

My undergrad did cost over $100k, and I've worked in the professional world for over 6 years. I've had experience earning a significant income, balancing student loans, and having a life. I'm pretty sure that allows me to chime in, especially over someone that hasn't even gotten out of school yet and stepped into the real world. To think that only a dentist (or dental student in your case) can speak about income and dealing with monthly student loan payments is absurd. This isn't rocket science.

4K a month in michigan is plenty, hell 2K in michigan is plenty, but in the rest of the world that isn't a ****hole... its not.

4K a month in michigan is plenty, hell 2K in michigan is plenty, but in the rest of the world that isn't a ****hole... its not.

lol

Do you guys know how much the "moonlighters" make a day? I know it really depends on the location. What could be the general range, from city to suburb to rural? I heard you get $700-$1200 a day, but that means you work just 2 days a week and break 6 figures --> sounds too good to be true!

"Moonlighting is defined as any professional activity arranged by an individual resident/fellow which is outside the course and scope of the approved training program. A resident/fellow may "moonlight" only with the written approval of his/her Program Director"

I don't really see someone working this way for two days a week and breaking 6 figures...

it isn't rocket science to figure out that 90K isn't a great salary for a new dentist either. (especially if school cost you 400k+)

"Moonlighting is defined as any professional activity arranged by an individual resident/fellow which is outside the course and scope of the approved training program. A resident/fellow may "moonlight" only with the written approval of his/her Program Director"

I don't really see someone working this way for two days a week and breaking 6 figures...

"moonlighting" just means working overtime, including in your own practice. you don't need to be a resident or fellow. many healthcare professionals moonlight (during evening, weekends, and holidays) to supplement income.

"4K a month"... how many hours a week is that?

thanx!

it isn't rocket science to figure out that 90K isn't a great salary for a new dentist either. (especially if school cost you 400k+)

No one is saying $90k isn't below average, but it certainly isn't chump change. And I would argue that most dental grads aren't anywhere near $400k in debt. Granted some may have only gotten into an NYU or USC, but a lot choose to go to those schools and pay out the ***** for living expenses.

No one is saying $90k isn't below average, but it certainly isn't chump change. And I would argue that most dental grads aren't anywhere near $400k in debt. Granted some may have only gotten into an NYU or USC, but a lot choose to go to those schools and pay out the ***** for living expenses.

what's your point? 90k is a good salary but most people are going to have doubts about becoming a dentist if that's all they can earn.

maybe he thinks dentistry is unionized like the auto industry and hes gonna have someone take care of him for the rest of his life

i would argue that a lot of people do. not the majority, but certainly a substantial minority that happens to be growing considering the newest private schools are ready to open as well. 90k is great if you're not in debt, if you are, it is a different story. its going to cost me 60k a year just in student loans and associated practicing fees (insurance, licence, CEs, etc) so how could i possible take a job for 90k and live? after taxes i might not be able to afford basic needs. and i am not at the most expensive school either, and cost of living in az is low.

also remember that even if you take a job for 90k, whoever you're working for is just making that much more money off of your work. its not like taking a pay cut is really helping your patients either.

what's your point? 90k is a good salary but most people are going to have doubts about becoming a dentist if that's all they can earn.

But that's just it--that's not all they can earn. It doesn't take much effort to figure out dentists can make 2, 3, 4 times that. To complain about making less is crap. Go out and make more, if that isn't enough for you. But dont for one minute think that because you "studied so hard" that somehow you're entitled to a huge income or that you should be pitied for not making $100k right out of school. You choose your dental school (and therefore you know the amount of debt you've got coming), you choose the quality of life you want to live while in school, and you choose where to practice after school. If you accept a position for less than what you feel you need to live how you want, well you chose that, too. There's nothing to complain about.

Most people I know who graduated from school within 1 yr make $150k+. Those with 3 yrs plus experience make over $200k. Those who own their own practice(s) make over... well.. they never share or give you real numbers (for obvious reasons). :)

I will be interviewing for a position that pays well more than what most people are quoting in this thread (with full benefits) next week. Don't assume things until you get there and see things for yourself.

i would argue that a lot of people do. not the majority, but certainly a substantial minority that happens to be growing considering the newest private schools are ready to open as well. 90k is great if you're not in debt, if you are, it is a different story. its going to cost me 60k a year just in student loans and associated practicing fees (insurance, licence, CEs, etc) so how could i possible take a job for 90k and live? after taxes i might not be able to afford basic needs. and i am not at the most expensive school either, and cost of living in az is low.

But no one is making you take that $90k. You will accept a position that affords you the life you want. If you accept anything less and complain about it, what then? If there's one thing this job offers over most it's the ability reap the rewards of however much work you're willing to put in (...well, at least as much as the insurance companies will let you want).

also remember that even if you take a job for 90k, whoever you're working for is just making that much more money off of your work. its not like taking a pay cut is really helping your patients either.

Exactly! There are so many ways to make a comfortable living in this profession...But why not be the guy making that much more money off of someone else's work? There are zero reasons to complain about income in this profession. If you're not making enough, complain all you want, but in end, you chose to be where you are...

But no one is making you take that $90k. You will accept a position that affords you the life you want. If you accept anything less and complain about it, what then? If there's one thing this job offers over most it's the ability reap the rewards of however much work you're willing to put in (...well, at least as much as the insurance companies will let you want).

Exactly! There are so many ways to make a comfortable living in this profession...But why not be the guy making that much more money off of someone else's work? There are zero reasons to complain about income in this profession. If you're not making enough, complain all you want, but in end, you chose to be where you are...

right then! so it is NOT arrogant to balk at 90k if it won't work for you.

"moonlighting" just means working overtime, including in your own practice. you don't need to be a resident or fellow. many healthcare professionals moonlight (during evening, weekends, and holidays) to supplement income.

Oh..I did not realize that was what the "moonlighting" was referring to..I suppose you could increase your income a nice bit doing that.

exactly

According to ADA 2008, average dentist in New England area makes 325k.

The "balking at $90k" thing wasn't dismissing the student loan payments. I get that. I'll have 'em. But whether you have student loans or not, $90,000 is a lot of money, and to act like it isn't is, yes, arrogant. These statements of entitlement are the issue for me. Run that by your patients sometime..."Man, life sucks. I only made $100,000 last year, so I have to live in a crappy 1000 sq ft home and drive a used car because my student loan payments eat up so much of my income. I don't deserve to live like this after all that hard work I put in during my dental school years! By the way, that'll be $1200."

The "balking at $90k" thing wasn't dismissing the student loan payments. I get that. I'll have 'em. But whether you have student loans or not, $90,000 is a lot of money, and to act like it isn't is, yes, arrogant. These statements of entitlement are the issue for me. Run that by your patients sometime..."Man, life sucks. I only made $100,000 last year, so I have to live in a crappy 1000 sq ft home and drive a used car because my student loan payments eat up so much of my income. I don't deserve to live like this after all that hard work I put in during my dental school years! By the way, that'll be $1200."

It's all relative. 90K is a lot for an average working person but for students like us who will have so much debt, it is not a justifiable salary to go through 8 years of schooling.

If you're happy living with 90k/yr along with your student loans then good for you. But stop lecturing us that this is good enough when many of us will have 200k+ debt. We don't care if you want to live like a broke student for the rest of your life.

I don't think this has really been covered in this thread, so I thought I would shed some light and perspective. If, as many posters have said, you were "only" making 90k per year, then you would be in the 80th percentile for income in the US as of 2007 (sorry no newer data than that). If you are like most of us students, right now you are living on a little less than $2,000 per month. At this measly salary, after taxes of let's say 20%, you would be making $6,000 per month. Obviously, you have some serious loans to pay off. If you have $200k in student loans and they are evenly distributed among the 4 different types (which they are not but for simplicity's sake we'll say they are), you would be paying about $2300/mo for 10 years. This knocks you down to a mere $3,700 per month, which is still almost double what you are currently living on. I believe there are tax deductions for interest paid on student loans, so it is actually a little more than this. Now take into consideration that you will probably increase in income in your first 3 years to making more around the average which is about $104k according to "PayScale", which is averaged over the whole country. So your after tax income has increased by about $11k/year or about $1k/month. Now you are making $4,700/mo and are in the 90th percentile for income.

Now for a little perspective. These numbers may not seem like that much, but 90th percentile means that there are approximately 270 million Americans who live on less money than you. If they can make it through, I'm sure you can manage. Another interesting statistic is the world bank in 2005 published a paper that measured the average income of an average person in the world. At $90k you would be making about $82,000 more than the average person in the world. While making money is important, it is also important to realize that there are a lot of hurting people out there, many of whom would gladly take the reported paltry sum of $90k for 35 hours a week of work. Sure many of them did not apply themselves and are where they are because of their own choices. Dentists are part of the elite, and as you can see, we are paid as such. I come from a lower class background, and I can attest to the fact that if your biggest worry is that you can't afford a brand new Mercedes and a $750,000 house within the first 5 years out of school, you're doing pretty well.

I am well aware that there are many dentists out there who make money the second priority in their practices. I would encourage all my fellow students and dentists to do the same.

Your analysis is flawed. For one, most other americans do not have 200,000 in student loans. In fact, most people dont have student loans and those who do probably have anywhere form 13,000 average in Utah to maybe 30,000 in Iowa. Therefore to really compare, one should minus the loans we pay from the before tax salary.

When you take away 24,000/year student loan payments from the original 90,000, then you can appreciate that 90,000 is really not that much. Personally, depending on whether or not I get scholarships and loans, I will probably leave school with about 200,000 +/- 20,000. I am a D2 currently with about 110,000.

Personally, $90,000 is just not gonna cut it at all. I am not being greedy and if all I could make was $90,000 I would find a way to make it work.

However, given my investment of 4 years and over 200,000 with 7% interest rate, $90,000 a year makes me want to B;tch slap myself.

But whether you have student loans or not, $90,000 is a lot of money, and to act like it isn't is, yes, arrogant.

Seems like you're making a pretty definitive statement there. Yes or no question: If one has 400k worth of student loans, is a 90K annual income a lot of money?

When I think of "a lot of money" I think of an amount that will yield a number greater than the poverty level after taxes and student loans are paid off. Maybe that's just me though.

Your analysis is flawed. For one, most other americans do not have 200,000 in student loans. In fact, most people dont have student loans and those who do probably have anywhere form 13,000 average in Utah to maybe 30,000 in Iowa. Therefore to really compare, one should minus the loans we pay from the before tax salary.

When you take away 24,000/year student loan payments from the original 90,000, then you can appreciate that 90,000 is really not that much. Personally, depending on whether or not I get scholarships and loans, I will probably leave school with about 200,000 +/- 20,000. I am a D2 currently with about 110,000.

Personally, $90,000 is just not gonna cut it at all. I am not being greedy and if all I could make was $90,000 I would find a way to make it work.

However, given my investment of 4 years and over 200,000 with 7% interest rate, $90,000 a year makes me want to B;tch slap myself.

well said

It's all relative. 90K is a lot for an average working person but for students like us who will have so much debt, it is not a justifiable salary to go through 8 years of schooling.

If you're happy living with 90k/yr along with your student loans then good for you. But stop lecturing us that this is good enough when many of us will have 200k+ debt. We don't care if you want to live like a broke student for the rest of your life.

exactly

One more thing I have noticed.

Often times (not always), the people who talk about NOT TALKING about money are those who have it and have no real appreciation for money. The ones whose dad or mom is a dentist. The one whose grandparents were dentists. The one who has never lifted a finger in there damn lives. Your parents never had to give you rice with rice for dinner. You mom never struggled with a stroller on the bus. You are not an immigrant and you dont know what being hungry is about.

Your dental school life is a dream. You dont know about eating a McDouble for lunch and dinnder cause you are broke as **** and you are starving while loan refund cheque takes its own sweet time to get here.

None of you can tell me ****. To hell with $90,000 I did not go to dental school to stuggle and make ends meet and right now, that rope is looking short if my income is only 5 digits long.

In your experienced opinion, what should a new graduate expect to make year 1, and how much of an increase year 2.
Thank you

All I can tell you is what i'm doing. I'm working corporate getting 32% on everything but full removable which is 18% (this is a crock). I work an average of 34 hours a week and I am producing on a 220K level. Dentistry is the best job ever. Its easy (sometimes I go home and laugh because I did nothing all day and still make 1K), fulfilling (just yesterday a patient cried because she was so happy with her new partial) and interesting (awesome tech, love using my hands). As far are debt goes I've been living very cheap and have already put 45K into it.

As far as what I can expect next year I don't know. I just took another job so that I could bump my hours up to 48 a week to pay down more debt.

One more thing I have noticed.

Often times (not always), the people who talk about NOT TALKING about money are those who have it and have no real appreciation for money. The ones whose dad or mom is a dentist. The one whose grandparents were dentists. The one who has never lifted a finger in there damn lives. Your parents never had to give you rice with rice for dinner. You mom never struggled with a stroller on the bus. You are not an immigrant and you dont know what being hungry is about.

Your dental school life is a dream. You dont know about eating a McDouble for lunch and dinnder cause you are broke as **** and you are starving while loan refund cheque takes its own sweet time to get here.

None of you can tell me ****. To hell with $90,000 I did not go to dental school to stuggle and make ends meet and right now, that rope is looking short if my income is only 5 digits long.

wow so much ignorance in this statement. But hey guess being a dental student doesn't mean ignorances still isn't there.

$90k is a lot compared to most people's salaries (even people with professional degrees).

wow so much ignorance in this statement. But hey guess being a dental student doesn't mean ignorances still isn't there.

$90k is a lot compared to most people's salaries (even people with professional degrees).

It's a personal statement you idiot (is that ignorance or what???). Though he unnecessarily generalizes the group of people in this post he ends by saying you can't tell him nothing. The point, the underlying truth that alot of kids simply have never experienced a difficult life, is very much apparent in dental school. You are in complete la-la land if you don't think it's all about 2nd/3rd generation dentists OR students who have family handouts OR kids with no families because they're selfish to the point of only seeing their own goals.

Anywho, you are completely ridiculous thinking that 90k is "enough money". How about you think about it in respect to the future dentist, not other people's salaries. There is no way in hell that will cover the cost of living of a family. Case in point. Dental school costs say 275k-ish which is totally reasonable (60k 1st nonresident year/45k the next 2 years/30k the last year/25k a year living expenses). That's roughly $2500/month over 20 years. Throw in a cheaper home around $1400/month. Maybe 1 modest honda or something around $400. Food/Utilities/life...around $1000 or so. Let's just say around $5500. 90k after taxes is about 3k biweekly. YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR DAMN MIND IF YOU THINK I'M LIVING OFF OF THAT MUCH MONEY AFTER GOING THROUGH THE HELL I'VE BEEN GOING THROUGH/WILL GO THROUGH LEADING UP TO DENTAL SCHOOL AND DENTAL SCHOOL ITSELF FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE YEARS (and i stress couple) OUT OF DENTAL SCHOOL.

Again, get into dental school. Realize what you are working towards and realize further that you deserve more than 90k.
Matter of fact, why do you assume that you understand what graduation life is like before you understand what dental school life is like?

Why dont you back this statement up with something besides opinion.

8 years of post highschool education, maybe even a couple more (not only the sacrifice of time to go to school, but the sacrifice of 4-7 years of income), 100-300k in educational loans, 1-5k(if not even more) of continuing education per year, and other expenses and you think 90k salary as a dentist is acceptable? I can tell you as well, there is stress in this career, and its a bit more than sitting behind a computer and writing programming or doing CAD.

90k is NOT alot for a dentist. As far as a starting salary, probably OK, but 3-5 years in forget about it. I have a family and live frugally. 90k would not cut it.

i suppose comments like this makes you feel morally superior? :rolleyes:

The income for the dentist varies according to the skillls,the locality of practice etc etc.So its impossible to get an average stastistics.

some may make 400k others 90k.i am sure its impossible to make 400k in the first year of the practice.
whether ,someone is happy with 90 k or 400 k,its personal matter.It depends on the priorities that you set in life.

I don't know how you would find the info out other than visiting many states and cities.

I was fortunate enough to visit the west coast areas and knew enough dentists that I found out the west was best and the town I chose just happened to be a fast growing, but I did not expect a 200% growth over 10 years.

From what I am hearing now, Alaska is the new boom due to oil.

Yes, thats true in alaska theres a Boom but i don't think due to oil. I think its because the lack of hygene here because the native americans in villages dont take care of there teeth to well, ive seen some bad teeth in my practice. I may be wrong though it might be the oil.

It's a personal statement you idiot (is that ignorance or what???). Though he unnecessarily generalizes the group of people in this post he ends by saying you can't tell him nothing. The point, the underlying truth that alot of kids simply have never experienced a difficult life, is very much apparent in dental school. You are in complete la-la land if you don't think it's all about 2nd/3rd generation dentists OR students who have family handouts OR kids with no families because they're selfish to the point of only seeing their own goals.

Anywho, you are completely ridiculous thinking that 90k is "enough money". How about you think about it in respect to the future dentist, not other people's salaries. There is no way in hell that will cover the cost of living of a family. Case in point. Dental school costs say 275k-ish which is totally reasonable (60k 1st nonresident year/45k the next 2 years/30k the last year/25k a year living expenses). That's roughly $2500/month over 20 years. Throw in a cheaper home around $1400/month. Maybe 1 modest honda or something around $400. Food/Utilities/life...around $1000 or so. Let's just say around $5500. 90k after taxes is about 3k biweekly. YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR DAMN MIND IF YOU THINK I'M LIVING OFF OF THAT MUCH MONEY AFTER GOING THROUGH THE HELL I'VE BEEN GOING THROUGH/WILL GO THROUGH LEADING UP TO DENTAL SCHOOL AND DENTAL SCHOOL ITSELF FOR MORE THAN A COUPLE YEARS (and i stress couple) OUT OF DENTAL SCHOOL.

Again, get into dental school. Realize what you are working towards and realize further that you deserve more than 90k.
Matter of fact, why do you assume that you understand what graduation life is like before you understand what dental school life is like?

After taking on all that debt, 90k isn't a lot. However, you don't deserve ANYTHING. Get over yourself. No one forced you to go into dental school to take on that debt, so stfu.
Dentists make a lot of money because they have a specialized skill which people are willing to pay a lot of money for. No one deserves anything, they only get what they work for.

Why dont you back this statement up with something besides opinion.

8 years of post highschool education, maybe even a couple more (not only the sacrifice of time to go to school, but the sacrifice of 4-7 years of income), 100-300k in educational loans, 1-5k(if not even more) of continuing education per year, and other expenses and you think 90k salary as a dentist is acceptable? I can tell you as well, there is stress in this career, and its a bit more than sitting behind a computer and writing programming or doing CAD.

90k is NOT alot for a dentist. As far as a starting salary, probably OK, but 3-5 years in forget about it. I have a family and live frugally. 90k would not cut it.

Again, no one forced you to choose dentistry as a career path so quit your bitching. Why do so many people have a misguided sense of entitlement?

Most people I know who graduated from school within 1 yr make $150k+. Those with 3 yrs plus experience make over $200k. Those who own their own practice(s) make over... well.. they never share or give you real numbers (for obvious reasons). :)

I will be interviewing for a position that pays well more than what most people are quoting in this thread (with full benefits) next week. Don't assume things until you get there and see things for yourself.

So no more Ohio new office plan?

After taking on all that debt, 90k isn't a lot. However, you don't deserve ANYTHING. Get over yourself. No one forced you to go into dental school to take on that debt, so stfu.
Dentists make a lot of money because they have a specialized skill which people are willing to pay a lot of money for. No one deserves anything, they only get what they work for.

Again, no one forced you to choose dentistry as a career path so quit your bitching. Why do so many people have a misguided sense of entitlement?

Heard anything back from pharmacy school yet? Would hate for you to continue posting as a disgruntled pre-pharmacy reject.

Status
Not open for further replies.