How much are you paying for rent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

.-.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yea, same with me. $1300 for a decent studio. I will probably opt for a 2 x 2 room ($970.. still expensive though). I rather live a little expensive to get to know the area and feel comfortable the first year.

NYU apartments are 2000-3000 for a studio if it makes you feel any better...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Today I started taking tours for apartments near my dental school, and I gotta say I'm a little overwhelmed. I've only ever shared houses or apartments with roommates ending up at $350 a month, and looking at getting my own place is just making me nervous.

Specifically today I looked at some lofts for about $1,200 (the cheapest they had) and while it's my dream apartment, I had this nagging feeling like it was too nice and I was making a mistake. My student loans should definitely cover it, but I feel like I'm throwing money away.

But when we got down to the garage, the elevator doors opened and all I saw were Lamborghinis, Corvettes, Porsches, and assorted motorcycles. It REALLY freaked me out and the whole drive home I was thinking "Can I afford this? Am I stupid for even looking at these places?"

Is $1,200 a month stupid? Or is that the average for what everyone is paying to live close to school?

yea, same with me. $1300 for a decent studio. I will probably opt for a 2 x 2 room ($970.. still expensive though). I rather live a little expensive to get to know the area and feel comfortable the first year.

I have classmates paying as low as $400/mo sharing an apartment/house or as high as $1,500 for one bedrooms.

Do what's most comfortable for you.

$855 for a one bed room. Includes a parking space, heat and electricity. Expensive for Buffalo I keep hearing but I cant beat the location and don't want a roommate.

Reactions: 1 user
1400 for 500 sq ft studio. No laundry in unit. And that's the cheap side.

Moral of the story? Don't do bu or tufts unless you have to.

1400 for 500 sq ft studio. No laundry in unit. And that's the cheap side.

Moral of the story? Don't do bu or tufts unless you have to.

Well at least I'd have in-unit laundry lol

I have classmates paying as low as $400/mo sharing an apartment/house or as high as $1,500 for one bedrooms.

Do what's most comfortable for you.

I just keep thinking about how I could save $700 a month and multiplying that by 12 months and then by 4 years...

What are you paying for rent?

I just keep thinking about how I could save $700 a month and multiplying that by 12 months and then by 4 years...

What are you paying for rent?

You can always save money but remember, money is not the only cost you incur. You also pay with time (length of commute), quality of life, etc.

Length of commute especially is really important to your happiness/sanity.

I pay just under $1K for a studio within walking distance to school (I bike most days for fun), near groceries/restaurants/convenience stores/etc.. Comes with a garage spot, all utilities included + other minor perks.

No complaints here. I signed with them for another year.

Last edited: