How Med Schools view postbacc at BC vs UWB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agonch

Reaction score
I have a previous degree from UW Seattle (2017), which encompassed some science subjects like math/physics. As a nontrad DIY student, I have been taking a year of general prerequisites at Bellevue College (BC). I have the option to continue taking prereqs as BC or switch to UW Bothell (UWB). Courses I'm considering include biochem, upper-level bio, A&P. I feel better supported with UWB's premed community, but is there is no other benefit in the eyes of the admissions committee? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It sort of depends on why you're doing the post-bacc work. It sounds like you're a career-changer, so I'll start with the first point:

Unless a medical school of interest explicitly states on their website that community college or JuCo coursework will not fill their requirements, there's really no reason why you shouldn't just stick with the cheaper option to knock out the remaining required coursework. If BC has upper level biochem, A&P, etc. and so long as you've aced your other science work, you're probably okay. However if you just really crave some more structure, then consider finishing up at UWB.

Second point: did you have a weak sGPA in undergrad? If so, you need to enroll at an SMP (special masters program) where you'll do a year of rigorous, graduate-level science courses akin to what first year medical students take. Acing like ~30 hours of undergrad coursework as a DIY postbacc in hopes of proving yourself worthy to adcoms will be a fruitless endeavor if you had just an average or below average sGPA previously. You have to swing the pendulum back in your favor by acing graduate level coursework to make up for a weaker undergraduate performance. Review the link in my signature if you want to read up on my DIY postbacc experience.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Undegrad [3.65 cGPA, 3.70 sGPA]
Post-Bacc [4.0 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA]
Overall [3.70 cGPA, 3.84 sGPA]

I am a career change from software (prev post). As independent as I am, I'd prefer more structure and a bigger premed community, why I am drawn to UWB, along with more upper-level courses to squeeze in. It's not like I will return to full-time work in the next year (with volunteering/scribing).

I can use the help knocking down some of my preconceived opinions about non-4-university level and biochem1/2 series.

Some school responses
Duke: "no longer requires specific courses. The choice of appropriate courses is the student’s and should prepare them not only for the MCAT but also broadly for the environment in which students will increasingly be expected to practice medicine. Any judgment about your preparation in this area will be based on the MCAT performance, the inclusion of sociology/psychology-based exposure(s) in your list of activities... Where you decide to do your postbacc would not be of concern for us, just that you gain whatever experience needed for your medical school trajectory."
John Hopkins: ""In order to be competitive in the selection process, we encourage prospective applicants with CC prerequisites to supplement these courses by taking advanced courses in related subjects at their four year institution”

I haven't considered SMP because it's a lot more expensive than my local BC/UW alternatives. If I plan on taking the MCAT and applying Spring 2023, do you agree SMP isn't advantageous to consider?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
[3.70 cGPA, 3.88sGPA]
I am a career change from software (prev post). As independent as I am, I'd prefer more structure and a bigger premed community, why I am drawn to UWB, along with more upper-level courses to squeeze in. It's not like I will return to full-time work in the next year (with volunteering/scribing).

I can use the help knocking down some of my preconceived opinions about non-4-university level and biochem1/2 series.

Some school responses
Duke: "no longer requires specific courses. The choice of appropriate courses is the student’s and should prepare them not only for the MCAT but also broadly for the environment in which students will increasingly be expected to practice medicine. Any judgment about your preparation in this area will be based on the MCAT performance, the inclusion of sociology/psychology-based exposure(s) in your list of activities... Where you decide to do your postbacc would not be of concern for us, just that you gain whatever experience needed for your medical school trajectory."
John Hopkins: ""In order to be competitive in the selection process, we encourage prospective applicants with CC prerequisites to supplement these courses by taking advanced courses in related subjects at their four year institution”

I haven't considered SMP because it's a lot more expensive than my local BC/UW alternatives. If I plan on taking the MCAT and applying Spring 2023, do you agree SMP isn't advantageous to consider?
Your previous GPA is pretty good so, yes, a SMP would probably be unnecessary for you. However I will say that they do provide significant structure and even a guaranteed interview at their affiliated med school, which is a plus. That, along with built in MCAT prep, and they do offer advantages worth the price (but again, more advantageous for individuals with lower GPAs).

Some schools like Duke have gone to a “competence” model of prerequisites, but my understanding is most schools still have structured prerequisite coursework. If you plan on applying next year, just make sure you have all your ducks in a row for the schools you choose to apply.

It sounds like the best things for you to do would be to increase your exposure to medicine through volunteering and shadowing (schools will need to see that especially as a career changer). You have to remember that you’ll be competing with applicants with similar stats that have a longer track record of being interested in medicine. Focus on acing your coursework at whichever school you choose to complete your work at (it sounds like either should be fine). Lastly, nail your MCAT and school selection, and you should find yourself garnering some interviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As far as which upper levels to take, I think genetics and A&P should be all you need for bio prior to applying and taking your MCAT next summer. Obviously O Chem 1 & 2 (and lab for schools that require it; however many institutions require you take 2 and lab together). I don’t think you need to take separate Biochem 1 & 2 courses. If either school offers a condensed Biochem course, that should be sufficient.

Assuming you have taken sufficient physics previously (and that you took intro bio and chem this past fall and current spring semester), I’d suggest modeling your next 3 semesters as this:

Summer ‘22:
- Genetics & Lab
- OChem 1

Fall ‘22
- Ochem 2 & Lab
- A&P

Spring ‘23
- Biochem
- Focus on MCAT prep

Edit: hopefully you have a good relationship with an old math or physics professor for a LOR, but you’ll need to form really good relationships with faculty over the next year to get enough LORs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have a previous degree from UW Seattle (2017), which encompassed some science subjects like math/physics. As a nontrad DIY student, I have been taking a year of general prerequisites at Bellevue College (BC). I have the option to continue taking prereqs as BC or switch to UW Bothell (UWB). Courses I'm considering include biochem, upper-level bio, A&P. I feel better supported with UWB's premed community, but is there is no other benefit in the eyes of the admissions committee? Thanks!
Adcoms won't care. We don't have the granular info as to which college is better.

All that matters is that you do well.

Reactions: 2 users