How many total questions are on the ABIM exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Invicta1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it 330?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, has anyone taken it yet? and what did you think of it? harder or easier than MKSAP? than ACP Med Study CD/Book questions?

i'm taking it sept 8th...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, i wish i was taking it now. i just want to get it OVER with.

gwen said:
hey, has anyone taken it yet? and what did you think of it? harder or easier than MKSAP? than ACP Med Study CD/Book questions?

i'm taking it sept 8th...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, i wish i was taking it now. i just want to get it OVER with.

Hey Gwen,

I took it. It was pretty much on par with what I studied in MEDSTUDY. I didn't really use MKSAP. I didn't like it as much earlier on when i was in residency. 4 blocks of 60 questions each... pretty straightforward stuff... just a pain to sit through like most USMLES, etc. How do they score it btw? Is there a set number one needs to pass or ? Anyhow, now just comes the wait... I'm so glad it's over though!

HD

hey, congrats!!! i signed up for sept 8th so its going to be hanging over my head til then. i'm glad to know that its more like med study...that's what i have been using. i have the MKSAP books but just can't get myself to even look at them (i know, the questions are supposedly great).

i don't know how the scoring goes...would like input from others on that as well. my hubby is taking it today...hope he does well!

I took it on the 15th. I'm glad it is overwith (at least for this year :rolleyes: ). It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The questions were more straight forward than the MKSAP questions. A friend said the live MedStudy review was right on target.

The test is scored based on a set number of questions- i.e., not curved. Now, I just have to wait for November.

Annette said:
I took it on the 15th. I'm glad it is overwith (at least for this year :rolleyes: ). It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The questions were more straight forward than the MKSAP questions. A friend said the live MedStudy review was right on target.

The test is scored based on a set number of questions- i.e., not curved. Now, I just have to wait for November.

Hey Annette,

So based on those questions they score how many is the minimum correct to pass? Just curious. How many are experimental questions?

HD

HDMTX said:
Hey Annette,

So based on those questions they score how many is the minimum correct to pass? Just curious. How many are experimental questions?

HD

I believe that 80% is passing for ABIM. So in theory 192 but perhaps less than that if there are experimental questions. (I had heard they would go away with computer administration but I'm not sure that is true)

RuralMedicine said:
I believe that 80% is passing for ABIM. So in theory 192 but perhaps less than that if there are experimental questions. (I had heard they would go away with computer administration but I'm not sure that is true)

I thought it was less than 80%. I don't see how they could get rid of the experimental questions on the exam- otherwise, they may end up throwing out a lot of questions.

Since 2001, the PASS rate (Gwen, heads up!) ranged from87-92% for first time takers :D That bodes well for us.

yeah, i thought it was more like 60% or something...for passing that is. and yayyyy for the high first pass rate.