How many to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many transitional programs should a person apply to just to be on the safe side? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

golgi said:
How many transitional programs should a person apply to just to be on the safe side? Thanks

Hi there,
The number of programs depends on how competitive you are and how competitive the programs are that you apply to. Some transitional programs such at the Georgetown Transitional Year are very, very competitive. Other programs are not so competitive.

If you are a fairly average candidate, apply to a wide variety of programs and keep your options open. After all, no matter how bad the program, you are gone in one year.

njbmd :)

Seems like the more you apply to, the better chances of getting a slot somewhere. The less you apply to, the better your chances of not having a slot.

Apply to a lot. Pick some in 3 tiers (competitive, moderate, and sure bets). You can always decline an interview or withdraw your applications. I see applying broadly as insurance.

Kilgorian said:
Apply to a lot. Pick some in 3 tiers (competitive, moderate, and sure bets). You can always decline an interview or withdraw your applications. I see applying broadly as insurance.

That's my philosophy right now, I'm casting a wide net and then awaiting interview invites. :)

Do people usually do their transitional years at the same hospital that they do their actual residency or different?

Thanks!

Depends. Some programs have relationships with the T-year program, others do not. I would rather stay in the same area, others are interested in traveling around.

Blade28 said:
That's my philosophy right now, I'm casting a wide net and then awaiting interview invites. :)
"Wide net" means how many specifically? If a lot of very good candidates apply to a lot many places, then that must be creating a tough situation for PDs, w.r.t. "whom to invite"? How do they decide? Do they think like this "hey, this guy from OK applying to a rural NY program, definitely sounds like wide-net casting kinda guy ... lets keep him on the back-burner to invite ... and lets invite some local NY applicants first" ? OR- do they think exactly the opposite of this? Or- the truth is muddled, somewhere in between?

Erica Lewinski said:
"Wide net" means how many specifically? If a lot of very good candidates apply to a lot many places, then that must be creating a tough situation for PDs, w.r.t. "whom to invite"? How do they decide? Do they think like this "hey, this guy from OK applying to a rural NY program, definitely sounds like wide-net casting kinda guy ... lets keep him on the back-burner to invite ... and lets invite some local NY applicants first" ? OR- do they think exactly the opposite of this? Or- the truth is muddled, somewhere in between?

A "wide net" will vary from applicant to applicant. For many, its as many programs as they can afford, for others its a little more than the average.

PDs have different ways of assessing candidates after the usual grades, USMLEs, LORs, etc. Some do prefer "locals" or at least residents with ties to the area - after all, they may be likely to stay after residency for practice. However, an OK (ie, Oklahoma) resident applying to a rural NY program may not totally be a fish out of water, if he's looking for a more rural, general type of practice. PDs are looking for people who will "fit" their program - they may define that as someone who is interested in sports, someone with research interests or a married applicant. You really have no way of knowing.

Erica Lewinski said:

Not sure I totally understand your question...though I think I get the gist of it.

Anyway, I'm applying to around 60 programs. I'm neurotic like that. The amount of money hurts, though. :(

Blade28 said:
Anyway, I'm applying to around 60 programs. I'm neurotic like that. The amount of money hurts, though. :(

they in Philly must love you ... 20-thousand yearly applicants like you ... and its $0.6 Million worth of more employment in Philly ... cool! On a more urgent request: which program, even you won't consider to apply, because, you may not consider it worth the money, for your good scores? Please pvt. msg. me, and I may add it to my list! And, if I get it there, a most expensive lunch in your/my town will be on me! (upto a max of 50 bucks :))! Thanks buddy!

Erica Lewinski said:
they in Philly must love you ... 20-thousand yearly applicants like you ... and its $0.6 Million worth of more employment in Philly ... cool!

Unfortunately, it cost much more than (0.6M / 20K = ) $30 to apply. :) The way ERAS charges (more expensive the more programs you apply to), they're making something like $20M with 20,000 applicants like me.

Blade28 said:
Not sure I totally understand your question...though I think I get the gist of it.

Whoa - do you mean 60 transitional programs?

Blade28 said:
No no no, 60+ General Surgery programs. :)

wow

is that all over the country or concentrated in one geographical area?

if you don't mind me asking, how much is that costing?

golgi>> Whoa - do you mean 60 transitional programs?

Is it a good idea to apply to 60 transitional programs only or do the split like: 15 Transitional, 20 FP, 15 IM and 10 Psych? For this kinda combo, how much, they may charge?

Blade28>>Unfortunately, it cost much more than (0.6M / 20K = ) $30 to apply. :) The way ERAS charges (more expensive the more programs you apply to), they're making something like $20M with 20,000 applicants like me

Shouldn't the discounted-rate apply for a wholesale customer?

Probably, they can almost balance the US budget deficit in a few years, from the poor IMGs alone, with that kinda life-suction filter! (with that policy in action)! :)

fireflyrxn said:
wow

is that all over the country or concentrated in one geographical area?

if you don't mind me asking, how much is that costing?

All over...Hawaii, Chicago, most of the West and East coasts. Around $1300. :(

Yup. :(

Then again, applying to med school was worse ($50 per app, right? then secondaries were extra?)...and I figure, an extra 10-20 programs for me is like one plane ticket to one interview (since I'm in Hawaii). I wanted to give myself options now, so that later I could always turn down interviews if I need to.

Erica Lewinski said:
golgi>> Whoa - do you mean 60 transitional programs?

Is it a good idea to apply to 60 transitional programs only or do the split like: 15 Transitional, 20 FP, 15 IM and 10 Psych? For this kinda combo, how much, they may charge?

The application fees are explained on the ERAS website. Why would you apply to so many different fields? None of the fields you mentioned are particularly competitive.... you should apply for what you actually WANT to do.

Amy said:
The application fees are explained on the ERAS website. Why would you apply to so many different fields? None of the fields you mentioned are particularly competitive.... you should apply for what you actually WANT to do.

You should read her other posts. Apparently getting a residency in the US is paramount to doing something she actually likes.