How many times did you apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanbluehonu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many times did you guys apply before becoming successful? I'm on my third try and I'm starting to feel a little weary. I don't want to spend my life applying to medical school. Otherwise, I think they might start giving me restraining orders. Just need a little encouragement...:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I am right there with you. I am hoping the 3rd time is the charm

Reactions: 1 user
This is my 2nd try at MD schools. 1 interview last year, not accepted obviously. 2 for 2 so far on interview/acceptances this year, but 2 more interviews coming up still. Hopefully will get at least one more too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Second (and last) time applying. Applied last app cycle "late" and got absolutely nothing. I've been successful this year (can check MDapp for specs).

OP, did you apply only to MD schools, or have you included some DOs as well? I'm not saying you can't/won't get into an MD school, but as a 3rd time applicant, I think it's smart to apply to both. I've heard some schools aren't favorable towards 3rd time applicants. Just my two cents though. Rest easy. There is still plenty of time to receive interviews!

This was my 4th time applying, and I finally got in.

First time I applied, I didnt apply to anything but Texas schools, got one interview...mind you that I only have a 25M MCAT...Second time, withdrew everything about a month into the process due to my wife having to change employment to a differnt state..totally killed my Texas residency. Third time, I applied late in the cycle to 3 schools (1 allopath, 2 DO), interviewed at the allopathic school, got no love from the DO schools. Fourth, and final time, I reapplied early to the allopathic school I interviewed at the previous time, and also to ~6 DO schools (only completed 4 secondaries). Got interviewed at the allopathic school, waiting to hear of a decision and got accepted to my first choice DO school.

Definately apply to DO schools, and apply early and broadly to them.

I applied twice. Previous time two years ago. Applied late and I interviewed at a state school but didn't get in. Then, I retook the MCAT, improved on my Verbal score and applied again. This time to both DO and MD. Got accepted into both DO schools I interviewed at (declined one interview) and an MD school. Waiting to hear back from another MD school that's my top choice.

Keep on trying. And like someone said above, apply to both DO and MD. Both are great.

applied once and got in. I believe the key is a good apllication, and applying early. i guess broadly although i did not. Good luck

• Haha
first time I applied in december DO and MD and got a few DO acceptances

Failed out of DO school, reapplied DO only really late (Aprilish) got 2 interviews for waitlists that didnt bear fruit

This time just 10 DO's and getting more interviews, all the while doing things to strengthen my application / address my previous issues. No acceptances as yet, but I have hope. If it is your calling, you have to do what you have to do! Good luck.:xf:

first time I applied in december DO and MD and got a few DO acceptances

Failed out of DO school, reapplied DO only really late (Aprilish) got 2 interviews for waitlists that didnt bear fruit

This time just 10 DO's and getting more interviews, all the while doing things to strengthen my application / address my previous issues. No acceptances as yet, but I have hope. If it is your calling, you have to do what you have to do! Good luck.:xf:
Hey Bones,I wish you the best :thumbup: Keep us posted.

This is my 1st time applying (a few M.D schools, mostly D.O. schools) and this process has just been..:scared: :scared:. Crazy expensive and stressful. Kudos to those folks who persevered and reapplied.

I applied 3 times before finally getting into a great MD program earlier this year. Whenever you start to feel down or discouraged, keep a steady eye on your long term goal! I'm currently working on finishing up my first quarter and am over the moon with excitement everyday. The people you'll meet, the stories you'll hear and the amazing things you'll be able to do are so worth the re-application process. The road is long, especially for people like us who do re-apply, but the reward is completely worthwhile.

Keep your chin up and keep marching towards your goal. Also, don't let the fact that you're a re-applicant get you down. Sure, you've had to jump through the hoops, but you've grown a lot too during the process.

Best of luck!

this is my second time. first time was an absolute mess, so i cleaned up, and revved up for the second time. applied to DO and MD. 1 interview for DO, no interviews for MD - 2 holds, 4 rejections :\

stay hopeful! it's not over till it's over, right? also don't be afraid of writing letters of interest to the school you'd really like to matriculate! you've done all you can do, best of luck!!

3rd time is a charm!

First time, applied senior year of college, had NO IDEA what I was doing (premed advisor always answered questions with "I don't know, I've never applied to medical school), only applied 5 schools. All rejections.

Second time, thought I had my stuff together, only applied to 2 schools, same deal.

This time, I did massive amounts of research, had way beefed up my app, and applied to close to 30 schools. For far, 2 interviews and an acceptance (waiting to hear back on the other interview). Hopefully will get a few more interviews, but we shall see.

Also, never even heard of DO until I applied the 3rd time. Looking back, I most likely would have gotten in my first time if I had applied that route. Ce la vie.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted on my 2nd try. I had luck with really investing my efforts in the school that showed some interest in my application the first go around. Once a school shows interest in you as an applicant, keep up with them. Email them, ask how you can improve, etc. Worked for me :)

The 3rd time was the charm for me!

The first year I applied late to the 2 instate schools and I was put on hold at one and rejected at the other. The second year I was put on hold at the same school and rejected by the same school. I didn't get any out of state interviews. And the final time I applied much earlier than the previous times. I also applied to 5 more schools. I didn't submit any secondaries to the out of state schools because I was accepted to the school that put me on hold the previous two years :D

Good luck! Make sure you listen to the advice of the ADCOMs. The two instate schools kept telling me different things, but I listened to all of their suggestions and did everything they wanted.

Last edited:
Applied 3 times...
1st time had a low gpa and low MCAT... applied to 13 MD schools with no interviews
2nd time same gpa and MCAT... applied to 8 DO and 11 MD schools... 1 MD interview with no luck
3rd time improved my GPA and MCAT.. applied to 11 MD schools and 7 DO schools.. So far 10 interviews and an acceptance @ my first choice school. I have withdrawn all of my applications :)

GOOD LUCK:luck:

Applied first time 1992 MD only
Second time 1999 MD only
Third time 2000 Mixture MD/DO interview at DO only
Fourth time 2001 DO only - accepted

Apply early
Have a great essay
Overall good GPA
Decent MCAT

this is my second time. first time was an absolute mess, so i cleaned up, and revved up for the second time. applied to DO and MD. 1 interview for DO, no interviews for MD - 2 holds, 4 rejections :\

stay hopeful! it's not over till it's over, right? also don't be afraid of writing letters of interest to the school you'd really like to matriculate! you've done all you can do, best of luck!!

ok well i hope this gives a little more encouragement. since my last post (above) i was accepted to the DO school i interviewed at and received an invitation to interview at my top choice MD school. still waiting to hear back from others.

i applied with the same GPA and MCAT as my first time, but improved my application with a couple more publications, MPH, health care fellowship, and much better personal statement.

but i think this really shows if you have the heart and motivation to get into medical school, it will happen!

ok well i hope this gives a little more encouragement. since my last post (above) i was accepted to the DO school i interviewed at and received an invitation to interview at my top choice MD school. still waiting to hear back from others.

i applied with the same GPA and MCAT as my first time, but improved my application with a couple more publications, MPH, health care fellowship, and much better personal statement.

but i think this really shows if you have the heart and motivation to get into medical school, it will happen!

Good work!!!! You can do this. You did what you were supposed to. Remember DO = Physician. So regardless of what happens at MD program you are a success.

3x reapplicant who got into a pretty decent school the 3rd time here.

Good work!!!! You can do this. You did what you were supposed to. Remember DO = Physician. So regardless of what happens at MD program you are a success.

3x reapplicant who got into a pretty decent school the 3rd time here.

thank you!!! i LOVED the DO school i interviewed at, no complaints here! in addition, DO is great for me as i do want to go into primary care (i am keeping an open mind though).

so to OP, don't sweat the number of times you applied. lots of people had to apply 2, 3, 4x to get in. it's all about persistence, dedication, and motivation!

This is my second (and last) time applying, but I took a full year off between application cycles to improve my application, and I made leaps and bounds of improvement. Best of luck! :luck:

I will be applying this upcoming cycle for the 3rd and last time. The first time I applied, i applied too late, the second time I applied earlier. But according the the ADCOMS I didn't have enough clinical experience (shadowing). I got a hospital job as an aide and I'm shadowing so hopefully I'll get in somewhere nest time. If not, I'll be done with a MPH in Epidemiolgy next year and I will probaly finding a job in clinical epi..

Second (and last) this year, whew. I took a year off between application cycles.

There is a couple people in my program who have applied at least 4 times before they were successful to my knowledge.
Don't give up hope!

I got in on my 3rd try.

1st time - No interviews.
2nd time - one interview.
3rd time - 2 interviews, one acceptance.

I'm now a 3rd year, and right around the 50% class rank.

3rd time this go around, but seeing as how there are no interview invites in my inbox, I suspect a fourth attempt in my future. :( I plan on retaking the MCAT (28R), continuing my research and getting a couple of pubs, and actually being listed as an in-state Texas resident.

Second and hopefully final time. Both times are about ~20 schools, but first time was very late (literally 1-2 days before deadlines). Second time I finish primary in August and secondaries 1-2 months after.

Pre-med advising is a complete and utter joke. SDN is more helpful in every single way. I haven't even applied to a single DO school, which I will if this second cycle doesn't pan out. I had average GPA (3.63) and medium-high MCAT (36T) with absolutely no ECs worth mentioning and no science-prof letters (thank you pre-med advisor).

Hopes: NYMC (Interviewed, waiting), UCSD (Interview this week), SGU (lol).

Did a whole bunch more ECs plus have +1 year of full-time research and a paper in press (JCI).

Will update if I ever remember to.

hey how do some of you have an MPH? I thought u had to be a medical student to apply? I am realyl interested in doing a Masters in Public Health, but was waiting to apply as a third year medical student, can u apply without being a medical student?

MPH will have like no bearing on your application to med school, but if you're already accepted, I would consult w/ your med school before embarking on an MPH.

sorry for your bad advisement academically you are great. I hope you started doing EC's so that you can add them to your application

Second and hopefully final time. Both times are about ~20 schools, but first time was very late (literally 1-2 days before deadlines). Second time I finish primary in August and secondaries 1-2 months after.

Pre-med advising is a complete and utter joke. SDN is more helpful in every single way. I haven't even applied to a single DO school, which I will if this second cycle doesn't pan out. I had average GPA (3.63) and medium-high MCAT (36T) with absolutely no ECs worth mentioning and no science-prof letters (thank you pre-med advisor).

Hopes: NYMC (Interviewed, waiting), UCSD (Interview this week), SGU (lol).

Did a whole bunch more ECs plus have +1 year of full-time research and a paper in press (JCI).

Will update if I ever remember to.

on my second try.

Last edited:
I applied twice back in the day. Perseverance pays off -- I graduate in 3 months and matched to my number one residency choice. Getting in is half the battle.

Second time applicant here as well. Thankfully I got accepted this cycle and am fortunate to have several schools to choose from. I can't imagine taking the MCAT again at this point.

MPH will have like no bearing on your application to med school, but if you're already accepted, I would consult w/ your med school before embarking on an MPH.

i think this depends on which MPH program, what you do in it, and what you come out with it.

the only difference between my first and second application cycle was a higher verbal score, and an MPH.

nothing happened for me the first time and the second time i was invited to interview at 2 schools, got accepted to one, waitlisted at the second.

i think this depends on which MPH program, what you do in it, and what you come out with it.

the only difference between my first and second application cycle was a higher verbal score, and an MPH.

nothing happened for me the first time and the second time i was invited to interview at 2 schools, got accepted to one, waitlisted at the second.

What was the discrepancy between your verbal scores? It may have made the difference. Was your MPH brought up in interview?

Just wondering...

What was the discrepancy between your verbal scores? It may have made the difference. Was your MPH brought up in interview?

Just wondering...

my first mcat (august 06): 12PS, 11BS, 6VR
second mcat (april 07): 9PS, 12BS, 8VR

i applied to medical school the first time with these scores.

third mcat for second cycle application (august 09 after i graduated with MPH): 9PS, 10BS, 10VR

my scores weren't all that consistent, but more balanced the third time. maybe that helped? who knows what med schools want nowadays :confused:

I'm starting my 2nd time. Still on 2 waitlists from the first so hopefully it'll work out. Horribly Low GPA and good MCAT, 28 schools w/ mix of MD/DO and 2 DO interviews but I was relatively late in the MD game. This time I've slightly improved the GPA and added ALOT of clinical work and fixed the presentation of my application (I had no guidance and did a horrible job applying last year). We'll see where this gets me.

I'm going to take classes for the entire year if I dont' get in, anything and everything i possibly can science related, retakes and the like. If I'm not getting a good response by Jan I'm going to start studying for the MCAT again in a last ditch effort to raise a 33 and apply a 3rd and final time (unfortunately)

2nd time applying and successful this year :) Don't give up without a fight!

3rd time this go around, but seeing as how there are no interview invites in my inbox, I suspect a fourth attempt in my future. :( I plan on retaking the MCAT (28R), continuing my research and getting a couple of pubs, and actually being listed as an in-state Texas resident.

HaHa... don't you just love when you're reading through a random thread and you see that you've already commented and forgotten about your post? Well, update, I am applying for my 4th time with a much improved 35Q MCAT, 2 publications, and in-state TX residency. I'm pretty optimistic about my chances now :). I also plan on working with the admissions office of whatever school I go to in order to help out other students applying and to give them advice. GL everyone!

HaHa... don't you just love when you're reading through a random thread and you see that you've already commented and forgotten about your post? Well, update, I am applying for my 4th time with a much improved 35Q MCAT, 2 publications, and in-state TX residency. I'm pretty optimistic about my chances now :). I also plan on working with the admissions office of whatever school I go to in order to help out other students applying and to give them advice. GL everyone!

GTstorming: Seems to me that the unnecessary hell you've already gone through will make you quite an asset to any medical school and applicant pool. I have so much respect for your perseverance, but absolutely know desire to understand what it was like. What a nightmare!

I fled the country after I was waitlisted and had to deal with every single person I've ever met asking me "how's med school going." It was especially frustrating as a leader within an med student organization.

I thought a 3.6/balanced 30 and diverse experiences would have been sufficient for my in-state program.

I'm applying to only one program this time (somewhat late, though non-AMCAS), and will apply next cycle to DO schools as well if this doesn't work out.

-CJ

Last edited:
GTstorming: Seems to me that the unnecessary hell you've already gone through will make you quite an asset to any medical school and applicant pool. I have so much respect for your perseverance, but absolutely know desire to understand what it was like. What a nightmare!

I fled the country after I was waitlisted and had to deal with every single person I've ever met asking me "how's med school going." It was especially frustrating as a leader within an med student organization.

I thought a 3.6/balanced 30 and diverse experiences would have been sufficient for my in-state program.

I'm applying to only one program this time (somewhat late, though non-AMCAS), and will apply next cycle to DO schools as well if this doesn't work out.

-CJ

Good luck to both of you. As a re-applicant who got in, I completely understand the BS that comes with having to reapply and really respect you guys for not giving up.

Dealing with people asking you how med school is going is always one of the most frustrating things about this - especially for those of us heavily involved in pre-med related activities, either teaching MCAT or leading an organization. I avoided a lot of unnecessary things in my life around that time so that I could both escape questions and focus on what is important.

Anyway - I root for all the reapplicants, having been one myself. Keep it up and never give up - if you're putting in all the effort you can muster you deserve to get what you are after. Best of luck!

I technically applied 3 times but I only really count 2 of the times.

Sent in primary in 2006, received a low MCAT score and had several personal tragedies arise so I did not send back any secondaries. Graduated UG Jan 2007 and started working in medical research.

2009 - Improved though not great MCAT score, more research and shadowing experience, applied very late (Primary in October, secondaries in Nov/Dec.) Received 3 MD interviews and 3 WLs, didn't get pulled off though was 2 withdraws from being accepted at one school.

2010- Building up clinical experience and community service. Added new presentations. Have 3 papers submitted for publication so hopefully soon they will be accepted. Applied broadly and early (July/August complete). So far, 3 MD interviews (2 at schools where I was WLed last year, including school that I almost got accepted to). 2 Interviews next week and a third the first week of October. Hopefully I gain an acceptance from one of them. ::fingers crossed:: and get a few more interviews before the cycle is over.

I do not remember for sure but I think I applied 5 years before getting in off the wait list.

I applied 3 times before getting in. I took two years to get a MS as well (during that time period).

Just make sure you don't spend those 2-3 years working at IHOP, and the experience will benefit you in the long run (competitive matches, etc).

After 3 years of rejections, the ADCOM's now ask me to travel with them to the diffferent schools around the state, to represent them at the pre-med dinners. Kinda funny, considering how many times it took me to get in. I suppose that's what a 3.93 after the first 7 classes will do for a guy...

Keep trucking and it'll be fine.

Oh yea.. I was a 3.3/3.3/30Q (9,10,11) the first two times. I added a 3.9 MS and a 31Q (10,10,11) when I got accepted.