How many shadowing hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how many shadowing hours admissions committees look for...I'm applying to all DO schools. I have 50 hours shadowing a cardiologist DO. I am about to start shadowing an ER DO, and I was trying to figure out how many hours I should shadow her for. Do you think 2 doctors is enough, or should I shadow more? I have a 3.45 gpa and still waiting for my mcat score (took it 1/28). I'll also have LOR's from 3 DOs.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say anywhere from 40-50 is probably the average applicants number of volunteer hours. Anything above 100 is icing on the cake. These numbers are from lurking on sdn, so don't quote me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would say anywhere from 40-50 is probably the average applicants number of volunteer hours. Anything above 100 is icing on the cake. These numbers are from lurking on sdn, so don't quote me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
What do you think about number of docs to shadow? Like if I have 50 from one DO and 50 from another DO, is that okay or should I split those hours up over more doctors?

Members don't see this ad :)
I only had about 15 hours of shadowing a DO. I did have a ton of hours working as a scribe with MDs though, which is pretty similar to shadowing except you get paid, haha.

I only had about 15 hours of shadowing a DO. I did have a ton of hours working as a scribe with MDs though, which is pretty similar to shadowing except you get paid, haha.
I have around ~2000 hours of working in a hospital, specifically with radiologists. So I have a ton of clinical hours, but I was wondering about specific shadowing hours. I also have ~50 hours of volunteering in a hospital.

I think 50 is fine. It may be beneficial to shadow an IM/FM DO if you can find one.

I know that scribing and shadowing are somewhat similar, but would it be advised to do shadowing as well as working as a scribe?

I know that scribing and shadowing are somewhat similar, but would it be advised to do shadowing as well as working as a scribe?
I did both, but interviewers always seem impressed with my scribing hours. It probably is important to have at least some hours you didn't get paid for though.

I did both, but interviewers always seem impressed with my scribing hours. It probably is important to have at least some hours you didn't get paid for though.

Good point! Thank you for your help! :woot:

Advisors usually recommend at least 50. Clinical volunteering is probably the best experience though. If you work in a free clinic or hospital you actually get to interact with your patients - take vitals, medical interviews, etc. Shadowing is very passive

I had about 85 hours of volunteering at a children's hospital when I applied (have more now just because I enjoy it) and it was more than adequate.

I shadowed a little over twenty hours between two DO Physicians and had a letter from one of them. It was more than enough to show my interest and receive interviews. Best wishes for your upcoming application!