How many schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HamburgerHelper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'd appreciate any advice people may have. I applied this past year with a 3.65 from a top 25 university (if that even means anything) with my MCAT scores being a 28 and then a 25 (yeah it dropped due to some major RL issues). I got one interview and am currently waitlisted there. However, I took the MCAT again and received a disappointing 29 (I was scoring between 31-34 on my AAMC practice tests). I have made the decision with my advisor that this should be good enough to get into a school. Nonetheless, I want to apply broadly and make sure I get in this year... I currently have 45 schools listed and I don't feel like dropping any, but if this is way too much then I will. I can handle the expense, essays, etc. If this is excessive, what would be a good number? 30? Thoughts?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

A faculty member I talked to gave me this advice: apply to 10 where you are in the median and have the kind of experiences you want, +3 that you couldn't say no to but aren't sure you would get in.
She added that schools like to see that you are really interested in going to their institution, so it wouldn't necessarily be a good idea to apply to so many.
Last time I checked 42 on the AMCAS, applied to 35+ (I can't even keep track anymore), interviewed and waitlisted at one school (perhaps also because my AMCAS was complete at the end of September.) For what it's worth, it was a huge pain in the ass and I do feel as though I spread myself pretty thin trying to get all of those secondaries done.

This time I cut it down to 18.

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=5912

HamburgerHelper said:
Hello,

I'd appreciate any advice people may have. I applied this past year with a 3.65 from a top 25 university (if that even means anything) with my MCAT scores being a 28 and then a 25 (yeah it dropped due to some major RL issues). I got one interview and am currently waitlisted there. However, I took the MCAT again and received a disappointing 29 (I was scoring between 31-34 on my AAMC practice tests). I have made the decision with my advisor that this should be good enough to get into a school. Nonetheless, I want to apply broadly and make sure I get in this year... I currently have 45 schools listed and I don't feel like dropping any, but if this is way too much then I will. I can handle the expense, essays, etc. If this is excessive, what would be a good number? 30? Thoughts?

Thank you.

Thank you for replying.

Schools can see how many schools you have applied to?

Members don't see this ad :)
HamburgerHelper said:
Thank you for replying.

Schools can see how many schools you have applied to?

No, schools can't see how many or where.

I applied to at least 35+ schools (MD/DO) and was accepted into about 12 of them. In hindsight, probably not a great idea but hey, I got in to a good school. However, I'm broke from the whole process. Just depends on how confident you are in your app. and how much flow you have. Good luck. We've all been there and wish you the best. :thumbup:

I am applying to 40+ schools because of my borderline stats and multiple MCATs...so once I add in the DO schools, Ill be at about 46-48...I am already feeling the pain hehe

Huh. I inferred from her comment that they could, but I wouldn't know for sure.

In any event, I thought that spending $5000 was small change compared to tuition so I just went for it. I do remember that being in school full-time made the process seem to border on unmanagable, and I can only imagine what happens if you get a lot of interviews.

I suppose it is an okay thing to do if you have a lot of disposable income and a lot of spare time. I don't, so this time I put a good deal of effort trying to determine which schools have a mission compatible with my ideals. I think it will help down the road as well, because when the secondaries ask questions like, why ___ University? I was always thinking...UMMM, because I'm desperate and you weren't too geographically undesirable??

vkhalsa said:
No, schools can't see how many or where.

DrVanNostran said:
I am applying to 40+ schools because of my borderline stats and multiple MCATs...so once I add in the DO schools, Ill be at about 46-48...I am already feeling the pain hehe

WOW!!
How are you defining borderline? Please don't tell me a 30 on the MCAT!!

HamburgerHelper said:
Hello,

Thank you.

Are you making sure to exclude schools that average your MCATS? I'm not saying you should not apply to those schools, but its just something to think about if you wanna cut back on some schools. I am in a similar sitution (one interview, and one waitlist), but I don't plan on applying to more than 20 schools...is this too less? I don't have stellar stats, but if I add 20 more schools that I dont feel like i am competitive at, I don;t see how it can help me..

Orthodoc40 said:
WOW!!
How are you defining borderline? Please don't tell me a 30 on the MCAT!!

Hey, well I consider myself borderline b/c:

3.4BCMP
3.6 Overall

First Masters Attempt which included some med school courses: 2.9
Masters of Public Health (just finished) 4.0

MCAT 1: 20 (6V, 7P, 7B)---took it at the end of my freshman year :eek: I am a *******.

MCAT 2: 25 (7V, 9P, 9B)

MCAT 3: 25: (5V, 9P, 11B)--This one I had a really bad test day.

MCAT 4: 30: (8V, 11P, 11B)---This is what I predicted after the test, was confident that I was b/w a 28-33, luckily the 30 happend.

------------------------------------

I am applying to a wide range of schools from some reaches to mid/low tier. I decidied since this is the last time applying I might as well have some fun and apply to a lot of place :)

Some people think I am crazy, but I really want to get in somewhere, and I REALLY feel that I NEED to apply to a lot of places for that one chane :luck:

DrVanNostran said:
Hey, well I consider myself borderline b/c:

3.4BCMP
3.6 Overall

First Masters Attempt which included some med school courses: 2.9
Masters of Public Health (just finished) 4.0

MCAT 1: 20 (6V, 7P, 7B)---took it at the end of my freshman year :eek: I am a *******.

MCAT 2: 25 (7V, 9P, 9B)

MCAT 3: 25: (5V, 9P, 11B)--This one I had a really bad test day.

MCAT 4: 30: (8V, 11P, 11B)---This is what I predicted after the test, was confident that I was b/w a 28-33, luckily the 30 happend.

------------------------------------

I am applying to a wide range of schools from some reaches to mid/low tier. I decidied since this is the last time applying I might as well have some fun and apply to a lot of place :)

Some people think I am crazy, but I really want to get in somewhere, and I REALLY feel that I NEED to apply to a lot of places for that one chane :luck:

Well good luck!! How'd you finally get the MCAT up to 30, anyway?? My scores for the first 3 tries mimic yours! I'm so frustrated!

Orthodoc40 said:
Well good luck!! How'd you finally get the MCAT up to 30, anyway?? My scores for the first 3 tries mimic yours! I'm so frustrated!

MY basic strategy for a month was to practice everyday and understand every question. As for verbal, used EK and practice. If you want I can go over details either over here, PM, or contact me for aim info.

Don't be frustrated, that was my biggest inhibitor, for the April Exam I walked in confident and that may have been the biggest key.

When I applied, I completed 30 or 31 secondaries...primary had close to 40 schools. I wound up with something like 15 interviews, 9 of which I went to, 4 acceptances. My MCAT was much higher than yours, but GPA was much lower. Depending on what state you're from, and what your ethnicity is, 30 might be overkill or perfectly fine to ensure you get in somewhere. 45 is definitely too many though.

HamburgerHelper said:
Hello,

Thank you.