How many schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My head hurts from doing Qbank questions. <sigh>

I was just wondering how many schools you guys were applying to - I have 45 on my "list" right now and want to get it down to a more reasonable number.

I just don't really have any part of the country I need to be in, I just want to be in the sun, so I just pretty much picked programs in all the warm sunny states (which is a lot).

Thanks!

:) kem

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I plan to apply to 30 programs initially and see the response. If i get less than about 15 interviews (is that too less?), then will apply to maybe 20 more programs. All the best for your Step 2. :thumbup:

I'm applying to 30 programs too. After that the ERAS fee gets a little steep. Hopefully I'll get a few interviews after applying to that many. They say that this will be one of the least competitive years ever for OBGYN-hopefully for us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes - hopefully it will stay noncompetitive, so we can all get our #1 programs! :)

I'm hoping to trim mine down to 30 as well, $25 a school is so expensive!

-kem

kem said:
Yes - hopefully it will stay noncompetitive, so we can all get our #1 programs! :)

-kem

Now that's professional pride....

Celiac Plexus said:
Now that's professional pride....

professional pride comes after you get a job...until then i am with kem, praying for the non-competitive trend to hold until i get my #1 spot. :laugh:

I basically went with 5/5/5 rule. I applied to 5 programs that were a "reach," 5 that I thought I had a fair chance at getting in, and 5 that were sure bets. After that spin the wheel and apply to 5 more based on whatever preferences you've got. I think this year, more 20 will be overkill. As Kem stated, it looks to be another lack-luster year.

As for "professional pride," I'll take this trend for now as it'll translate into a good job market for my class. As with Anesthesia and Pathology, many specialties have their ups and downs but ultimately the trend does and will switch.

Good luck everyone!

Global Disrobal said:
As with Anesthesia and Pathology, many specialties have their ups and downs but ultimately the trend does and will switch.

Good luck everyone!

So is the trend switching elsewhere or is it just at my school? We have 7 out of 100 definately interested in OB with two others sitting on the fence right now. The OB department tells us they haven't had this kind of interest in more than 10 years, is this occuring nation wide?
I would prefer the interest stays low for a bit longer myself, at least until after this years match!

My class has about 20 out of 200 set on Ob Gyn, with 2 or 3 "pretty sure." Our dean says that percentage is way up from years past. What's the deal??

kdoc2005

At my school I would say it's maybe 7 out of 170 definites, there are a couple more deciding between ob-gyn and medicine or ob-gyn and surgery. I think this is about the same as other years.

:) kem

Keep in mind that alot of times its also dependent on the OB-GYN program at your school and also the state of the profession in your area (state). If the program at your school is noted for malignancy and bad medical student experiences, then the numbers will be low. Also, in states such as Maryland, Penn, and others where OB's are having a tough time, numbers are actually down. However, I like many fo you, am anxious to see the actual numbers when they come out.

There are 15 people definitely applying to ob/gyn out of 150 in my class. It's one of the highest numbers we've seen in a long time, or so the doctors tell us. I wonder if the pendulum has swung the other way now...

lgow said:
There are 15 people definitely applying to ob/gyn out of 150 in my class. It's one of the highest numbers we've seen in a long time, or so the doctors tell us. I wonder if the pendulum has swung the other way now...

Let's hope not! At least until after this year.
Selfish yes, but self preservation is a natural instinct.