How many programs will you rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GynGirl2008

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as I ponder my own rank list, I am curious about how others are feeling. How many programs did you interview at and how many are you going to rank?

I interviewed at 16 programs (all across the country) and I can't decide how many of them to rank. I would be happy at each of my top 4 and ok with any of my top 8...beyond that, I suppose the others would be better than scrambling.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed at 15, ranking 15, very happy with my top 4, reasonably happy with 5-7, and I suppose I'll tolerate anything below that, better than scrambling.

Is it March 20th?

while it is very, very unlikely that you guys will go down far in your list, you are doing the right thing....almost anywhere is better than scrambling! it is far, far easier to get into a good program PGY 2 than it is to scramble into any program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at 10 but I am only ranking 8. I would rather scramble than go to either of the 2 I didn't rank. I highly doubt that you will go lower than your top 3-5. Most residents that I spoke with got in their top 3. Time will tell.

I'm ranking 11, though my bottom 3 are less than desirable places for me. Seriously, is it March 20 yet? Why can't we be apart of early match too? :)

interviewed at 15, and i am ranking 15. i wouldn't mind matching at any of my top 5!

I too interviewed at 15 and will rank each and every one of them. Not taking any chances with the scramble! I considered not ranking my 14 and 15 but decided they would be better than the agony of the scramble.

Though I have heard it said time and time again that if you do match it will likely be in your top 3-4 otherwise you don't match. No one drops to the double digits.

I too interviewed at 15 and will rank each and every one of them. Not taking any chances with the scramble! I considered not ranking my 14 and 15 but decided they would be better than the agony of the scramble.

Though I have heard it said time and time again that if you do match it will likely be in your top 3-4 otherwise you don't match. No one drops to the double digits.

I know someone at my school that matched at their #12 so you never know. As for me I went on 11 interviews and will rank all of them. I would be thrilled with 1-5, happy with 6-9, and "well it beats scrambling" with 10-11.
The issues with 10-11 have nothing to do with the programs, I would just hate having to live there for 4 years.

I know someone at my school that matched at their #12 so you never know. As for me I went on 11 interviews and will rank all of them. I would be thrilled with 1-5, happy with 6-9, and "well it beats scrambling" with 10-11.
The issues with 10-11 have nothing to do with the programs, I would just hate having to live there for 4 years.
I would be thrilled with 1-5, happy with 6-10, and "well it beats scrambling" with 11-15.

I interviewed at 12 and will rank 12... i helped a friend through the scramble last year, and it was not pretty. In the end she ended up taking a FP spot that was basically the bottom of the barrel, she was applying EM. I definitely would be happy at any of my top 5, but i will say there is a BIG difference between my #1 and all the others... Crap i hate waiting! Counting the days.. (59 to be exact) until match day!

RANK EVERYTHING! Because like last year there may be only 6 spots in the scramble four of which were at some school in the middle of nowhere! OB is more competitive - unless last year was a fluke or something - so if you interviewed there and you'd rather work there and transfer later than accept a position in another field that you hate - rank everything.
Even rank a prelim OB if you interviewed at one - they do exist!

Dont mean to scare anyone - just talking from experience.

You can always transfer later

Interviewed at 11, ranked 9, I'm happy with my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed at 13, will be ranking all 13 to avoid the scramble. my bottom two are not that great for totally different reasons, but i want to do ob/gyn anywhere, not family practice in podunk, idaho.

RANK EVERYTHING! Because like last year there may be only 6 spots in the scramble four of which were at some school in the middle of nowhere! OB is more competitive - unless last year was a fluke or something - so if you interviewed there and you'd rather work there and transfer later than accept a position in another field that you hate - rank everything.
Even rank a prelim OB if you interviewed at one - they do exist!

Dont mean to scare anyone - just talking from experience.

amen...if the match is ANYTHING like last year, anywhere that is an accredited OB/Gyn program is better than the scramble. much, much easier to transfer than scramble. pgy-1 spots open from july 1 on CREOG, and pgy-2 spots are usually plentiful for transfers. just get a job, or you may wind up in FP, or even worse, sitting out a year.

btw, the four spots were at wilmington nc, (not a middle of nowhere program, btw), and i understand it was an administrative error. that makes me believe that the unmatched number will be very, very low this year, and likely only prelim programs.

I have worried about the same thing, too.
I think I will rank all 15 programs that I have interviewed, and hopefully get a pot in top 5... but now it is the process of ranking that is so fustrating!

I interviewed at Phoenix Integrated (Maricopa), and they have two prelim spots in addition to their catagorical. Does anyone know if I had to have clicked "preliminary" as well as "catagoical" on ERAS when I applied to them in order to rank the preliminary spots?

Yes, i believe so. On eras there is a check box for both. If you check categorical than that's teh position you interviewed for. However, you can probably contact the program director and tell them that you would like to be considered for the prelim spots also (even if you already interviewed). That might show the program that you're really interested in them and will even be willing to take a prelim spot in order to work there.

I have been trying to schedule a second look at a program but I have not gotten a response from the program coordinator in over 2 weeks. I understand the PD not contacting me cuz of Match regulations (perhaps?) but come on. Anyone else encounter this? What to make of this?

Sometimes you have to be very persistant with program coordinators because they're understandably very busy during interview season. Just keep emailing and leaving messages. If you're doing a second look for you to determine your rank list thats fine. If you're doing it to show more interest and possibly move up in their rank list - you might want to check when they submit their rank because one program i interviewed at submitted theirs at the end of january. From this forum, many pds say that second looks dont influence their rank list. So you might want to save money.

There is no reason why it should take two weeks for a residency coordinator to get back to you about a second look. I would try again and if you still do not receive a response, I would e-mail the program director and let him/her know that you want to come and that you have not received a response from their coordinator. I do agree that you should only go if you need to know for sure if that is someplace you want to be. Don't go back because you think it may move you up on their list.

Yeah, I wanted to go back to see how the program really is. I emailed both the PD and the coordinator to no avail. Methinks they will be moving down my list. Whatever, I just want March 20 to come already.

Yeah, I wanted to go back to see how the program really is. I emailed both the PD and the coordinator to no avail. Methinks they will be moving down my list. Whatever, I just want March 20 to come already.

Hi Julian,
I am having the same problem also. Have you tried calling them instead b4 you move them down your rank list. Also, try emailing one of the residents you met or interviewed with. I planned to do a couple second looks but I am too broke to go. Good luck!

I applied to 30 obgyn programs (no other fields), got interview invites at 25 or so, went to 15 interviews, and am ranking 13.
I would rank fewer, but I do not want to have to scramble!

I interviewed at 11 and am ranking all 11.... Have had a bitter experience last year and I dont want to commit any mistake this time.. Will be happy with my first choice as I can stay with my husband while doing residency , anything below shud be Ok, atleast I'll be doing something I enjoy and wish to do for the rest of my life.... Cant wait till march 20th.... Feels like a long time... 18 more days...