How many programs should I apply/interview to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdfff

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really don't have a very good grasp of estimating these things. I saw the thread from 2 pages back but I'll be honest--I just can't think of many programs just browsing through essentially just numbers on FREIDA.

Here's my situation:

Interested in Psych residency, preferably California or Chicago
US Grad
bottom 1/3 first 2 years, solid middle 1/3 if not in top 50% clinical years
failed step 1 once
4 research, 4 publications, bunch of substantial work + volunteering

The thing is, there are barely about ~20-25 psych progs in CA+Chicago combined. I just don't know much about other areas.

Should I just shotgun apply to all California/Chicago programs plus a few long shots? How do you guys even decide these things?

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't have a very good grasp of estimating these things. I saw the thread from 2 pages back but I'll be honest--I just can't think of many programs just browsing through essentially just numbers on FREIDA.

Here's my situation:

US Grad
failed step 1 once

The thing is, there are barely about ~20-25 psych progs in CA+Chicago combined. I just don't know much about other areas.

Should I just shotgun apply to all California/Chicago programs plus a few long shots? How do you guys even decide these things?

Given the competitiveness of the CA schools, I think it would definitely be in your best interest to apply to all of them. You ultimately want to rank at least ~10 programs. You can always cancel interviews if you find you're getting too many.

Here's my situation:

US Grad
failed step 1 once

I would definately apply outside cali and chicago, but not to "longshots"....I'd have a decent number of applications into lower-mid tier programs outside of cali or chicago...and yeah, throw in some long shots too though.