How many people in your class are applying into Rad Onc this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Impressions

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you guys knew how many people in your classes are applying into rad onc this year? There's going to be 6 people at my school applying for rad onc, which is quite few! Especially considering we don't have a home rad onc program. Between these 6 or so applicants we have 2 PhD's and 3 MS's. I truly hope there is not a similar trend in the rest of the country this year, or we could be in for a rough application cycle. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if you guys knew how many people in your classes are applying into rad onc this year? There's going to be 6 people at my school applying for rad onc, which is quite few! Especially considering we don't have a home rad onc program. Between these 6 or so applicants we have 2 PhD's and 3 MS's. I truly hope there is not a similar trend in the rest of the country this year, or we could be in for a rough application cycle. :scared:

What part of the country( East or West Coast or Central) are you from? .

For those of you who are now beginning the application process, do not fret over this posting...if someone has to hide behind the impressions account for something so benign just assume that it is a scare tactic. (SDN Rad Onc Lesson #13).

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
My school has a handful of people applying into rad onc this year as well, at least one of them has a phd. There's no home program at my school either. I'm assuming the OP didn't want to reveal the make up of his class.

Does anyone know how many people apply to rad onc total each year? I think the NRMP only reports the number of applicants who receive at least 1 interview. Does anyone know the total number of applicants per year including those who apply and don't receive any interviews?

thanks

My school has a handful of people applying into rad onc this year as well, at least one of them has a phd. There's no home program at my school either. I'm assuming the OP didn't want to reveal the make up of his class.

Does anyone know how many people apply to rad onc total each year? I think the NRMP only reports the number of applicants who receive at least 1 interview. Does anyone know the total number of applicants per year including those who apply and don't receive any interviews?

thanks

How many is a handful?

There are about 4-5 in my class interested in rad onc. There are actually 2 PhD's interested and I have an M.S. myself. I think it's a common trend for people with graduate degrees to be interested in rad onc. Or at least it's seemed that way in the past.

Is there any info anywhere on how many people total apply into rad onc a year? including ones that don't receive interviews?

Last edited:
I agree with MHotep - don't worry if other people are applying. In general, Rad/Onc is highly competitive but you probably knew this already. Just focus on putting together a strong application - letters of rec from faculty who know you well and love you, a meaningful personal statement which does not convey arrogance, etc.

Good luck!