Technology How many medical schools or residencies supply a PDA or smartphone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJosephKim

Advisor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At one time, many medical schools and residency programs used to issue PDAs or smartphones (or, you were required to get one). I'm wondering how many programs currently have these types of rules. Also, are residency programs still providing "free" laptops or smartphones to incoming residents?

Members don't see this ad.

This reply is about medical schools, but it was on my mind and had to get it out.

Ohio State's medical school was in apple's website because they provide podcasts of the lectures if a student has an iPhone or iPod touch. I don't know if they provide iPod touches or IPhones however.

Because I live in Florida, I have really been looking into that question for all the Florida schools.

FSU - provides an entire electronic medical library. I don't know how easy the books will read on an iPad, kindle, iPhone or other smartphone (probably best on a computer/laptop).

USF - provides videos of lectures for students to review. Great idea. I don't know in what format. Again, is the only way to access the videos on a laptop. Or could you watch them on a smartphone?

FIU - offers HP Tablets (I think). The program is going to be in the 2nd year like UCF, so I'm not sure if try have ironed out the method of teaching yet. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

UF & UMiami still have a lot of prestige so technology questions usually don't come out as a recruiting tool.

I have an iPhone and iPad and am really looking for a medical school that would support the devices. If you know of any schools that do, I would love to know!

Wake Forest issues a PDA in 3rd year.

I believe OSU gives iPod Touches.

UCIrvine does not issue anything, but a great deal of the medical students have the iPhone.

None of the other schools I've done research on readily cough up this information.

There's a DO residency program in Southern California that I know issues Blackberrys.

my internship program provided a rather nice educational stipend that allowed us to purchase a smartphone/PDA/computer/software etc plus all the regular things like books, boards fees, uptodate, and ACLS